Using double rear cap to speed up changing lens

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

The risk of this contraption is stacking two wideangle lenses. It is open; the rear elements might touch, causing serious damage.

A bit of experience may help but our ancestors could do it didn't they. Never stack 2 WAs my grandmother said ;).

12 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In my opinion, this two-mount type carrier is much better than the single mount type in Michael’s post. This helps to sit the removed lens in the mount cap that the single mount type can not. 

This one, you can get it from B&H, has two mount, and can leave the spared lens off the camera. It works the same as the home made back to back double caps. If you can find one for your lens mount, it should be more robust when you don’t trust your way of attaching the two caps. 

You can also find the three mount carrier. The problem is, when more than two lenses Re on it, it is too big for my bag, and I don’t like to carry it on my belt. (File size to big to attach it here )

What works the best for me is to have a double-cap for every lens Nd for every camera system I have. I will not use one double cap for two lenses, it could be too long for my bag. The only economical solution is the home made. For people worrying the robustness of the attachment, you simply need to improve your work.

Three mount lens carrier

20 hours ago, lct said:

Not sure which Leica M camera is not matched by those good lens carriers i've been using for 30+ years. I still use them for my M240 and digital CL at least (pic). Best compromise available to me as i will never rely on any glue to secure expensive lenses but it's just me B).

I use those (Leica made them in black as well, later on), but not so much for speed as for fitting 4 lenses and 2 bodies into a small bag.  It's thinner than two standard caps attached back to back, but the downside is choosing lens partners is more critical because rear elements can touch one another if not careful.  I used doubled rear caps with my Nikons years ago but I attached them with pop rivets through fender washers because I didn't trust glue or tape. 

I bought a lens a while back that came with a Leica double rear cap...or so I thought.  When I looked up the serial number it became clear it is two caps glued together.  I don't know what glue the person used, but it is rock solid and  has served me well for years.  Now I am thinking of making my own.  Just need to figure out the best adhesive. 

• 3 weeks later...

I do like double caps. Better than finding a good place to put a lens down while replacing it with another.

But, I was never really happy gluing two caps together. I’ve had nightmare images of the caps coming unglued and bouncing a Cron off the street.

As usual, with way too much time and a pretty complete machine shop in the basement (one hobby is building steam engines) I came up with this.

This is the first prototype and the 2d version should be better.

Here’s a little video showing some of the production. Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I like small lenses for street.  I wear a jacket and throw a lens in each pocket - 3 lenses is plenty.   21, 35 & 50 comprise 90% of those shots

And a OUFRO for macro fun under the 50 (Summi V4 - indispensable)

75 & 90 are for planned work like portraits, concerts - that's different:  small backpack

On 3/19/2019 at 2:13 PM, sblutter said:

I like small lenses for street.  I wear a jacket and throw a lens in each pocket - 3 lenses is plenty.   21, 35 & 50 comprise 90% of those shots

And a OUFRO for macro fun under the 50 (Summi V4 - indispensable)

75 & 90 are for planned work like portraits, concerts - that's different:  small backpack

This worked for me for film, but it's to dusty for digital cameras. 

On 3/3/2019 at 5:17 PM, sshire said:

I do like double caps. Better than finding a good place to put a lens down while replacing it with another.

But, I was never really happy gluing two caps together. I’ve had nightmare images of the caps coming unglued and bouncing a Cron off the street.

As usual, with way too much time and a pretty complete machine shop in the basement (one hobby is building steam engines) I came up with this.

I find glue them and wrap with tap is very secure for holding them. The potential problem might be the plastic caps that can get loose after a while. The danger is dropping the lens. 

So i always hold the lens upwards while switching, and hold them by the lens, not the caps. It takes some practice. 

Am 4.3.2019 um 02:17 schrieb sshire:

Great machining, you even master the knurling, this is far beyond my capability!

• 3 weeks later...