Using double rear cap to speed up changing lens

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica used to have the M lens carrier supposed to speed up the changing of lens. That stuff does not match all Leica M canera and to me is awkward to use.

I find glue two rear lens cap back to back works for me. This can be used with any lens mount。

For every lens. I glue/tap two rear lens caps back to back. To change lens A to lens B, A is removed from camera and put on the other side of lens B, then take lens B off the cap and put on the canera. 

The drawback is, each lens requires a longer lens case unless to leave the lens without lens fase in the camers bag. 

☺️

Nice idea.

I had that idea long time ago, but not use this bright idea anymore.

In the day of film M, that was fine.

In digital M, experience so many "dusty sensor" as the one cap end "open" and dusty.

At the end, when I can't separate them, the other "open end" is capped with M cap, so the purpose lost.

I’ve been gluing rear caps together for my Fuji and Leica kits for some years, really speeds up lens changes. I’ve progressed to my own design of dual sided lens cap which I 3D print (Leica ones are in red for obvious reasons, including standing out in the bag!). The 3D model I’ve designed is programmable so I can print any depth, super shallow or whatever...

Edited by 105012
  • Thanks 1

3D printer is a good idea. I actually want an N-way turret R2M adapter. The extra flange distance can take the advantage. May be for R 35-70mm and 80-200mm. 

That way I can have a quick switch and get rid of the dust problem.

It will sure be a monster in size and weight. ! 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did this back in my N* days but Leica lens caps are too expensive to be gluing. Twice I've tried to get off-brand caps from an Amazon vendor and both times the fit on the lens was so sloppy and loose the lenses would simply fall off on their own. If Leica (or anybody really) brought these back at less than an insane price I'd be good for a couple or three. It would serve their users' needs better than yet another special edition.

I bought Leica caps from ebay, 10 pieces in a batch for $4.95, free shipping. It did take some time to ship (about 2~3 weeks). The caps have very good quality, totally different from something I got a couple years ago.

I glue them together with the double-side foam tape, then wrap with the electric tape around. I also have the open-end covered by the Leica body cap to prevent dust into the cap, but feel it is not necessary.

About the N-way turret, it is only an early idea. The biggest problem is the size and the weight when more than one lenses are on it.  I also think it needs a movable part on the lens joint to position the two lenses in parallel instead of a pizza angle. The movable part may be used as part of the tilt to give it more justification.    

Edited by Einst_Stein

20 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

☺️

Nice idea.

I had that idea long time ago, but not use this bright idea anymore.

In the day of film M, that was fine.

In digital M, experience so many "dusty sensor" as the one cap end "open" and dusty.

At the end, when I can't separate them, the other "open end" is capped with M cap, so the purpose lost.

Good point, if one end cap is always open to the inside of the camera bag you stand to get dust inside the cap.

I just drop the lens into the bag without a cap (front or back) if speed is a genuine necessity, for the dust it might carry into the body of the camera a bit of sensor cleaning every now and again is a small price to pay for fumbling with any sort of cap in a hurry, never mind when you're trying not to avoid dropping two lenses joined at the hip. I don't buy the 'speed' idea of joining two caps.

Edited by 250swb

6 hours ago, 250swb said:

Good point, if one end cap is always open to the inside of the camera bag you stand to get dust inside the cap.

I just drop the lens into the bag without a cap (front or back) if speed is a genuine necessity, for the dust it might carry into the body of the camera a bit of sensor cleaning every now and again is a small price to pay for fumbling with any sort of cap in a hurry, never mind when you're trying not to avoid dropping two lenses joined at the hip. I don't buy the 'speed' idea of joining two caps.

You are doing something very dangerous. Won't It pick up much more dust to leaving the cap-less lens in the bag than the double cap? any risk of scratching?

I share the double cap in case it also works for anyone. This is also a way to invite any other logical practice. 

Happy shooting!

On 2/2/2019 at 2:44 AM, Einst_Stein said:

Leica used to have the M lens carrier supposed to speed up the changing of lens. That stuff does not match all Leica M canera and to me is awkward to use.

I find glue two rear lens cap back to back works for me. This can be used with any lens mount。[...]

Not sure which Leica M camera is not matched by those good lens carriers i've been using for 30+ years. I still use them for my M240 and digital CL at least (pic). Best compromise available to me as i will never rely on any glue to secure expensive lenses but it's just me B).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I believe this is a lens carrier.

2 hours ago, lct said:

Not sure which Leica M camera is not matched by those good lens carriers i've been using for 30+ years. I still use them for my M240 and digital CL at least (pic). Best compromise available to me as i will never rely on any glue to secure expensive lenses but it's just me B).

Your picture is what I meant the joint double-cap that can be made at home.

There are off-the shelf lens carrier dedicated for special lens mount. Such as these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/hands-review/lens-holder-hangs-your-shoulder-lens-flipper

https://ztylus.com/products/z-prime-lens-for-iphone-6-6s

https://www.google.com/search?q=lens+carrier&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=pO1VpR3rYNqNeM%3A%2C18ELrE0vNEKkAM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kRVwZrE4r22UuWa8hKsaow4i5wong&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYnIKq1aXgAhUOKKwKHaqTChUQ9QEwAXoECAQQBA#imgrc=FtkGc6thcRvL0M:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lens+carrier&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=pO1VpR3rYNqNeM%3A%2C18ELrE0vNEKkAM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kRVwZrE4r22UuWa8hKsaow4i5wong&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYnIKq1aXgAhUOKKwKHaqTChUQ9QEwAXoECAQQBA#imgdii=2YoK-kiNV4jNdM:&imgrc=FtkGc6thcRvL0M:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lens+carrier&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ttsY1b8PKy87LM%3A%2CxdTR011UXWMVMM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kRQpgzH15PK3bP5kTaZumbE1IENbA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiYnIKq1aXgAhUOKKwKHaqTChUQ9QEwBHoECAQQCg#imgrc=ttsY1b8PKy87LM:

It's your call.

Been using those carriers one or two centuries ago ;) but none i know of allow to stack two M lenses the same way as the old Leitz carrier can do. Cannot  be made at home BTW, at least by me. What can be made at home is sticking two lens caps back to back. Been there did that until the thing broke and lenses dropped heavily. 

2 hours ago, jdlaing said:

I believe this is a lens carrier.

Hello JD,

Before that 1 there was a 2 lens carrier for the bottom of the camera similar to that. I think that it might have been made by Benser

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lct said:

The risk of this contraption is stacking two wideangle lenses. It is open; the rear elements might touch, causing serious damage.

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello JD,

Before that 1 there was a 2 lens carrier for the bottom of the camera similar to that. I think that it might have been made by Benser

Best Regards,

Michael

• Thanks 1