M9 trade in for newer models ?

sixteen pads

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Team, 

I have been romanticizing a little about upgrading to the 240. Either the classic or mp. 

Is there any active trade_in program you would know about that applies ? 

Maybe someone has gone through such a process themselves lately so I figured I would ask. 

Thank you

I have both an M9 and an M-P. Leica does, or did, have a program exchanging M9’s with a sensor issue for a M. If you have the budget for it, I would keep the M9 and get a newer M. Since you are in Canada, I would recommend checking with Jean or Emanuel at Camtec’s Leica boutique in Montreal. 

• 6 months later...

not sure why you would consider this considering m9 and m240 are about the same price on used market.  If you wanted to do this, just sell your m9 and purchase an m240 and you should be able to even make it a free upgrade, depending on condition of your m9 (assuming you have the sensor replaced)  and the m240.

• Like 3

shortpballer gave you the right advice. I went to an Apple store and saw an “upgrade trade-In program” where they could take my iPad 2 and gave me 40 bucks credit towards a new 1000 dollar model 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depends on what you want. If you want live view, video, evf, advanced metering functions, better rangefinder/viewfinder, constant-light framelines and a few things more, the M240 is years ahead of the M9.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Depends on what you want. If you want live view, video, evf, advanced metering functions, better rangefinder/viewfinder, constant-light framelines and a few things more, the M240 is years ahead of the M9.

With all those incredible goodies, it makes you wonder why they not much more expensive than the M9 🤔

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll echo what @shortpballer said; just upgrade straight to the M10. The M (Typ 240) is the odd one out in the M lineup in my opinion.

This isn't mentioned often but the M (Typ 240) had horrible banding at high ISO. I had both the M9-P and M-P (Typ 240) simultaneously and was unsure which to keep. Went out one night and shot images at ISO 1600. Imported them in Lr and there was noticeable banding, which got worse as exposure was increased. I immediately decided to sell it and stick with my M9-P.

This is apparently a known issue with Leica. Asked about it when the camera was in for service and they linked a Leica article where they were basically saying "that's just what it is". The M10 doesn't have this issue. It's DR and ISO performance is a vast improvement over the previous models, if that's what you're after.

• Like 1