Leica Help Wan't to make stars photos ( Milky Way )   

kiwislim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hello

i love leica

in Good days my dady buy the leica R3 we have big wood box full off leica foto,s

but now R3-Leika ... is collect dust in closet .... my .. Question ) is

can I photograph ( stars ) or ( galaxy ) ( Milky Way )   

with the R3 Leica

shoot me tips .. please 

Thanks  (^_=)/ 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by kiwislim

So, if simple is what you want, and tripod only is simple, you are limited to shorter exposures, a few seconds or so, and this also depends on the lens focal length.

A fast wide angle is better, but some that I have tried have had wicked coma, so the images may not be to your liking.

A tracking motorized mount with the camera attached is THE way to go.

I'll say it here, and this based on some years of doing both, digital is definitely easier, simpler, better.

Gary

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 1:14 AM, gbealnz said:

So, if simple is what you want, and tripod only is simple, you are limited to shorter exposures, a few seconds or so, and this also depends on the lens focal length.

A fast wide angle is better, but some that I have tried have had wicked coma, so the images may not be to your liking.

A tracking motorized mount with the camera attached is THE way to go.

I'll say it here, and this based on some years of doing both, digital is definitely easier, simpler, better.

Gary

hi Gary .... i see now!!! you from new zealand

Another option that works great with a fixed tripod is star trails. I shot this image on Velvia 50 with my R4s and 35mm f2.8 lens back in 2001. Just find a location with relatively dark skies, frame up the shot before the sun sets  and then expose at f5.6 for 4-5 hours. Ideally, you would do it on a night 3-4 days before the first quarter moon, when the moon will be in the sky for a few hours of your exposure time to light the landscape.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, J S H said:

Another option that works great with a fixed tripod is star trails. I shot this image on Velvia 50 with my R4s and 35mm f2.8 lens back in 2001. Just find a location with relatively dark skies, frame up the shot before the sun sets  and then expose at f5.6 for 4-5 hours. Ideally, you would do it on a night 3-4 days before the first quarter moon, when the moon will be in the sky for a few hours of your exposure time to light the landscape.

Hi ..... wow ..... cool ...   (^_=)

have put the  f2.8 lens and expose at f5.6   
i see more Settings left and right  .. what is the next step !!!

thanks for respond :)

look forward to your mail

You'll want to familiarize yourself with long exposure techniques and pick up a cable release. After that, it's about finding a good location and waiting until it is truly dark to start your exposure (say 1.5 hours after sunset). Ideally, you don't want any lights in the frame, as these are much brighter than the stars. I would use your widest lens and try to frame the shot in an interesting manner to show some of the landscape and also the stars. Like I mentioned, f5.6 is a good rule of thumb, but you can also try f4. Velvia 50 or 100 has always worked well for me. Good luck!