Is the S1/S1R a good backup camera for SL

caissa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, chris_tribble said:

That’s

Thanks. That’s helpful. I’ve had years of running M alongside Canon 5 Series cameras. What you’re saying here makes sense to me. 🙂

I used to run M and Nikon, M7 and F4S, side by side in my film days.  I still have my dad's M3.  Then I moved to the D3S + A7S, then D3S + SL, and now SL + S1H.  Finally, I have a common lens mount.  Going forward, I am acquiring native L mount glass so I can stop using adapters and get full (or increased) lens functionality. 

Please be advised that Panasonic lenses will work best on the S1, S1R, S5, S1H.  My Sigma 35 1.2 DG DN will not manually focus in a selectable linear fashion with a selectable focus throw amount (Panasonic menu feature).  This is useful to me for video focus pulling or just better manual focusing vs fly by wire.  My SL24-90 seems to play well on the S1H, thankfully. The manual focus options work with it via the latest lens firmware update.  Interestingly, the SL24-90 is more useful on my S1H than my SL as the manual focusing operation is drastically improved.  In summary, using cross-platform/L mount bodies with cross platform/L mount glass makes for a interesting journey of unfolding functionality via firmware updates.  The upside is there are many compelling L mount lens choices now at different price points.  Choose carefully.  Good luck.

Mick - thanks. I’m strictly still photography which will, I think, make things easier long term. I’m interested to hear about the manual focus functionality with the 24-90 on the S1H. I wonder if it’s the same on the S1R? No doubt a decision will get made. At the moment stage and concert work just isn’t happening so I can hold off for a bit. Basically the last 12 months has been strictly landscape and nature so a single L Mount body has been done 🙂. For that purpose the SL2 has been a joy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctribble/shares/269DR0), and hasn’t needed a companion!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chris_tribble said:

Mick - thanks. I’m strictly still photography which will, I think, make things easier long term. I’m interested to hear about the manual focus functionality with the 24-90 on the S1H. I wonder if it’s the same on the S1R? No doubt a decision will get made. At the moment stage and concert work just isn’t happening so I can hold off for a bit. Basically the last 12 months has been strictly landscape and nature so a single L Mount body has been done 🙂. For that purpose the SL2 has been a joy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctribble/shares/269DR0), and hasn’t needed a companion!

Chris,

When I ran the SL with the 12mp Nikon D3S, I never touched the Nikon again.  It was more than enough as your SL2 is now. Yesterday I shot studio stills with the SL and on-location video with the S1H.  I used the SL24-90 on both.  Your SL2 with IBIS and higher res is a great all in one solution.  Thanks for sharing your images.  My work can be found at https://www.hetmandesign.com.

Edited by Mick H
Thanks for sharing images
  • Like 1