Is the S1/S1R a good backup camera for SL

caissa

Just now, ron777 said:

Thank you. I’ve been using the SL 75 on my S1R without any focus issues, in fact, it is quite sharp even without post AF tweaking. But his blog post had sparked my curiosity.

His Blog posts are usually teazers to get you to subscribe - and criticising Leica is a good ploy which he has often used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ron777 said:

Thank you. I’ve been using the SL 75 on my S1R without any focus issues, in fact, it is quite sharp even without post AF tweaking. 

That's an understatement if ever I saw one. The difference compared to the zooms is obvious even in the EVF reviewing images. 

I thought the SL+75/2 combination was superb ..... but I bet the S1R+75/2 image quality would outclass any FF sensor+lens available today. 

ps. as mentioned Lloyd is fond of throwaway criticisms that often have little to substantiate them. I have several thousand images taken with the S1R and the 75/2 and have not identified any focussing issues at all. Sadly, I am not paying Lloyd a subscription to clarify his revelations. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

Agreed. I neither have interest in his diatribes nor his subscriptions. And i’ve Found the S1R/75SL combo to be so good that i rarely remove it, aside for occasional 16-35SL substitution.

Edited by ron777
  • Like 1

I haven't seen the focus shift either, but then I didn't see the misplacement of the focus spot with the SL+24-90 either (which manifested itself as focus shift to those that experienced it).  And Leica seemed to fix that eventually.  So I don't rule out there being something to DL's findings (for Panasonic bodies) but I haven't taken the click bait to find out, since I haven't noticed the effect myself.

I have noticed that if one is not careful, the S1R’s focus point can shift, perhaps the result of the nose touching the LCD. This has happened to me on more than one occasion. But a tap on screen reset brings it back to center. Just a matter of awareness. But fortunately, I have not experienced focus shift with my 24-90 or 75, or for matter, any of my other SL glass.

Edited by ron777

Advertisement (gone after registration)

37 minutes ago, jrp said:

I haven't seen the focus shift either, but then I didn't see the misplacement of the focus spot with the SL+24-90 either (which manifested itself as focus shift to those that experienced it).  And Leica seemed to fix that eventually.  So I don't rule out there being something to DL's findings (for Panasonic bodies) but I haven't taken the click bait to find out, since I haven't noticed the effect myself.

I originally spotted that ...... and correctly diagnosed what the issue was .... whereas Lloyd had some other theories, if I recall correctly. 

DOF is so thin at f2 that I would not be surprised if there is some variability in focus capability with subjects where CDAF is known to have errors ..... particularly at close distances.

Lloyd refers to 'electro-mechanical focus shift' which is a term I cannot find on the internet. He also states it degrades focus at all smaller apertures ..... where you would normally expect the effects of increased DOF to mask any errors, and for this fact to be inherent in the lens design. The posted 'example' is stated to be 93mpx from the S1R in high res modes (should be 186mpx)  ..... and if he is referring to issues in Hi-res mode then there are 101 other things that may be involved. I'm curious ...... but not $99.99 curious ..... :rolleyes:. Anyway he will no doubt inform both Leica and Panasonic of their errors and be posting in due course that they have followed his instructions and sorted things  ....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

By the way, I have noticed quite the contrary: the precision (in terms of focus stability) of (in my case) S1 and SL 90-280 outranks the SL-performance, esp. @ 90mm😯

Combo S1 & SL 75 is superb as well - no focus issues whatsoever...

So the S1/Rs technical performance is really impressive...nevertheless -as a Leica-addicted guy😉- I'll be waiting for the upcoming SL2  and then go for Leica or Pana.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, panoreserve said:

By the way, I have noticed quite the contrary: the precision (in terms of focus stability) of (in my case) S1 and SL 90-280 outranks the SL-performance, esp. @ 90mm😯

Combo S1 & SL 75 is superb as well - no focus issues whatsoever...

So the S1/Rs technical performance is really impressive...nevertheless -as a Leica-addicted guy😉- I'll be waiting for the upcoming SL2  and then go for Leica or Pana.

I, too, am a Leica addicted guy (S007, M10, SL, M246), but I don't have any guilt about "cheating" on Leica with my S1R purchase.  Leica will have to show me something, including image stabilization, ~50 MP, ergonomics, optional LENR, and better image quality to get this off-brand S1R out of my hands. 

Edited by relms
  • Like 3

vor 1 Stunde schrieb relms:

I, too, am a Leica addicted guy (S007, M10, SL, M246), but I don't have any guilt about "cheating" on Leica with my S1R purchase.  Leica will have to show me something, including image stabilization, ~50 MP, ergonomics, optional LENR, and better image quality to get this off-brand S1R out of my hands. 

Frankly speaking I‘m quite sure the upcoming SL2 will be (regarding technical aspects) a S1R-clone: 47mp, IBIS, EVF etc.: altogether on a par with Pana‘s S1R, but in no way „better“. The only and possibly substantial differences are build quality, different design and UI (very similar to the current SL). And yes - it will cost twice as much (around 6800 €, I suppose) 😉

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Panasonic has announced firmware upgrades for several LUMIX cameras, also for the S1 and S1R.  https://www.cinema5d.com/panasonic-announces-firmware-update-for-lumix-s1r-s1-and-selected-m4-3-cameras/  Also the paid upgrade for the S1.

Here the links   https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index4.html  https://www.panasonicff.com/panasonic-s1-s1r-firmware-update-version-1-2-now-available-for-download/

Edited by caissa

• 2 weeks later...

Are these Sigma lenses interesting for the S1R or SL ? They are the first lenses from Sigma that are available for L, but are they what we have been hoping for ? Would you switch from a Leica 35mm lens to this new (huge) Sigma 35mm lens ?  Or from the SL 16-35 to this 14-24 ?  

https://www.dpreview.com/news/8715104889/sigma-35mm-f1-2-dg-dn-art-coming-to-full-frame-sony-and-l-mount-bodies            https://www.dpreview.com/articles/3377004454/hands-on-with-new-sigma-35mm-f1-2-45mm-f2-8-and-14-24mm-lenses

Am I the only Sigma customer who would like to see the zooms (f2 24-35, f2.8 28-75, f2.8 120-300, 60-600, and many more) in Lmount ? Maybe with more time the offerings for L get better....

Edited by caissa

The long awaited report about usage of M lenses on the S1 by Jono Slack.   https://www.macfilos.com/2019/07/31/panasonic-s1-review-l-mount-lenses-m-mount-lenses/   As the cover of the sensor is probably very similar in both cameras, this is probably also true for the S1R. (No guarantee, but a good guess.)

Strange enough I find the pictures not as good as usual, but I cannot see why. Maybe/probably it is only my imagination. :rolleyes:

Edited by caissa

17 hours ago, caissa said:

It’s meant to be the same report, but somehow I like it better (?! strange, but so it is).  https://www.slack.co.uk/lumix-s1.html   The images look better, probably because the resolution is different (at least on my iPad).

Hi there

welk, I‘m relieved you like it somewhere!

maybe the resolution is different, but perhaps the lack of adverts etc on my old fashioned website helps too?

all the best

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, caissa said:

As the cover of the sensor is probably very similar in both cameras, this is probably also true for the S1R. (No guarantee, but a good guess.)

I've done some of the same tests as Jono with an S1R.  Image at infinity, M lens a short, small wide angle.  And have the same results. 

M lenses belong on an M, or a CL, or maybe an SL.  But the bigger lenses, like the WATE, or the 75s should be just fine.  Maybe the 21, 24, 28 Summiluxes as well, but I haven't tried those yet.  In addition, the S1 or S1R's support for manual focus is quite different from what is offered on the SL/CL and I don't like it much.  I could get used to it, but the need is not great.