Is the S1/S1R a good backup camera for SL

caissa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Somebody complained a short time ago that there are not enough reviews of the SL 16-35. Well, finally diglloyd has taken the time to test it on S1R and SL and published his results on the 20th of April. And he found a lot of faults in it, after all a lot of distortion. Am I worried about what he found (after all for me the SL 16-35 is the best wide-angle zoom I ever used) ? Not really. And why ? Simply because I will never be able to see this distortion. Because I am not so foolish to take the extra steps necessary to turn off the automatic correction of this lens. 
I do not really see what this should be good for, and at the same time I could not worry less about it. That is the idea of a modern digital camera, that some corrections are executed automatically, without the "dumb user" (that's me :unsure:) noting. (this is the case for all current models from all manufacturers, all else is regarded as lacking features). So under all "normal" circumstances, in jpg mode just as well as in raw mode I will never have the possibility to encounter it.

So I have again the impression, this is mainly a gimmick to find more subscribers (clickbait). (An Easter present for him). We had this type of "problem finding" already in big style when the SL 50 was introduced, two years ago. So I resist the urge to add a link. (Gifted pixel peepers will easily find it, or probably have found it already, long before me ....)

The only real problem is, that it means that these lenses can only be used on native cameras (all of L-mount). (If L-mount should ever be abandoned.) So no possibility to adapt them and still get the same performance. But because of the short flange focal distance it is very unlikely that a possibility of adapting will be found, anyway.
Contrary to that, M lenses can easily be attached, but in the end have similar problems on non-native cameras, but many users happily ignore that .... (see Steve Huff).

For those who are worrying now, the distortion is strongest at the wide end, while at 35mm he sees "solid performance". For all other wide-angle zooms (16-35) I know, typically the 35mm is most cumbersome.

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, caissa said:

Somebody complained a short time ago that there are not enough reviews of the SL 16-35. Well, finally diglloyd has taken the time to test it on S1R and SL and published his results on the 20th of April. And he found a lot of faults in it, after all a lot of distortion. Am I worried about what he found (after all for me the SL 16-35 is the best wide-angle zoom I ever used) ? Not really. And why ? Simply because I will never be able to see this distortion. Because I am not so foolish to take the extra steps necessary to turn off the automatic correction of this lens. 
I do not really see what this should be good for, and at the same time I could not worry less about it. That is the idea of a modern digital camera, that some corrections are executed automatically, without the "dumb user" (that's me :unsure:) noting. (this is the case for all current models from all manufacturers, all else is regarded as lacking features). So under all "normal" circumstances, in jpg mode just as well as in raw mode I will never have the possibility to encounter it.

So I have again the impression, this is mainly a gimmick to find more subscribers (clickbait). (An Easter present for him). We had this type of "problem finding" already in big style when the SL 50 was introduced, two years ago. So I resist the urge to add a link. (Gifted pixel peepers will easily find it, or probably have found it already, long before me ....)

The only real problem is, that it means that these lenses can only be used on native cameras (all of L-mount). (If L-mount should ever be abandoned.) So no possibility to adapt them and still get the same performance. But because of the short flange focal distance it is very unlikely that a possibility of adapting will be found, anyway.
Contrary to that, M lenses can easily be attached, but in the end have similar problems on non-native cameras, but many users happily ignore that .... (see Steve Huff).

For those who are worrying now, the distortion is strongest at the wide end, while at 35mm he sees "solid performance". For all other wide-angle zooms (16-35) I know, typically the 35mm is most cumbersome.

I ended subscribing to diglloyd several years ago. Too much praise of Zeiss and ditto down-playing of other systems. And endless rambling about minuscule issues. At least at that time, although things may have improved (?) since. Anyway; the SL 16-35 is the best wa zoom I have used/tested by a good margin - beating most of the wa primes as well - on the SL. The extent to which the end result is coming from optics+sw corrections doesn't bother me at all. Actually, Leica has made it clear that sw corrections are a part of the end result. Digital systems are digital for a reason, obviously. In my simple-minded world, I look at what the camera system delivers, not what the lens in insolation is capable of. And all I can say is that SL 16-35, on the SL (and likely on other L-bodies as well), is very, very good. Actually, I can not recall any on this forum that has identified real/serious weaknesses when using this lens. 

• Like 5

The nicest external disks (actually SSDs) for storing photos are in my eyes probably the Samsung T5 devices.  Fast, very small and almost indestructible.  https://www.storagereview.com/samsung_portable_ssd_t5_review          Sad news for apple users (they can only be used with macs, but not iPads), but they can also be attached directly to android devices.

But for people preferring Sony, they are now also offering new devices in aggressive colors (not easily forgotten anywhere).       http://www.lemondedelaphoto.com/Sony-des-disques-externes-SSD-pour,15426.html

Edited by caissa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, caissa said:

The nicest external disks (actually SSDs) for storing photos are in my eyes probably the Samsung T5 devices.  Fast, very small and almost indestructible.  https://www.storagereview.com/samsung_portable_ssd_t5_review          Sad news for apple users (they can only be used with macs, but not iPads), but they can also be attached directly to android devices.

But for people preferring Sony, they are now also offering new devices in aggressive colors (not easily forgotten anywhere).       http://www.lemondedelaphoto.com/Sony-des-disques-externes-SSD-pour,15426.html

I've been using the T5's as backup storage for just about everything, including images.  I'm not an iPad believer or user, so the fact that they are incompatible is of no consequence.  But for my Mac Pro tower's they are great, portable and fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caissa said:

Many who ordered it do not have a S1R, yet, but here is already the first update to firmware 1.1 .  For example from here:  https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/ff/dl/s1r.html

Improvement during burst shooting (accuracy of exposure).

Have you installed the update?  Did it go a planned?  I'm always leery about the first firmware update for new cameras.

No problem with the firmware update so far, but I didn't have the problem that they claim to have corrected, and I don't know what else they have corrected. But good on them for keeping things moving.

Diglloyd, must be the most accident-prone photographer on the planet, pour soul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caissa said:

I have no camera, yet. But somebody has already installed it - but I can't remember. I would say it is npt urgent, so better wait a bit.

I went against my better judgement and installed the firmware update rather than waiting.  But there were no issues and it updated and rebooted quickly. So, no worries.

Edited by ron777
  • Like 1

The S1R is for me a possibility to use stable tethering (unfortunately with the SL it is not always reliable). I thought that the camera can be supplied with power through the USB 3.1 cable. But now it looks like it is better to use a dedicated power supply, because it seems that tethering and recharging is not possible at the same time (across USB).
So it is probably a good idea to add this adapter   Panasonic DMW-DCC16GU  https://www.teltec.de/panasonic-dmw-dcc16gu.html   (Cheaper than getting an extra battery grip.)   I was always looking to get a similar adapter for SL, but unfortunately there is nothing available since more than 3 years.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by caissa

In Switzerland the Sigma MC-21 adapter is now available for sale (from Ott&Wyss). So probably also in other countries. Amazing the big price difference (EF version vs Sigma version).  But it is probably cheaper in other countries .....      https://www.owy.ch/landingpage/sigma24
But no L-mount lenses, yet.

Officially no support for Canon (or Tamron) lenses, but it will be interesting to check which will work anyway....   (maybe time for another list of lenses working ?) 

Edited by caissa

On 2/1/2019 at 5:24 PM, caissa said:

I will very like keep my SL. But I would like to have a backup body, just in case. Would the S1 or S1R fit that gap ?

I was up until now reluctant to buy a second  (maybe secondhand as well) SL body. Partly because the price is still high, and because I have the feeling an upgrade is soon overdue.

For me yes, definitely, the S1R would nicely fit into that gap, despite its size (it's maybe even slightly bigger/heavier than the SL). I like the optional LENR (the most nerve-racking feature of the SL), the IBIS and especially the gigantic high res mode (a whopping 187 megapixel). And the price is still affordable for a simple backup camera ...    

What are other options that other users prefer ? Like using a X1D in combination with the SL. Or a Sony or another new mirrorless from CaNikon ?

Hei, I have now owned and used the S1R for 1 month with SL lenses as well as with M-Lenses and I have to say that I am very impressed with the performance of the camera. The S1R is not an action camera ( but neither is the SL), but a great all purpose camera with impressive IQ. It’s a big and heavy camera, but I don’t really mind that.

S1 and S1R as cameras for low light (high iso tests). In French but still understandable.  http://www.lemondedelaphoto.com/Lumix-S1-S1R-HAUTS-ISO,15438.html  . Actually they wrote several articles about several topics, a full review and experience report with a lot of photos.  (E.g. from Machu-Pichu  (Machu Pikchu ?)   http://www.lemondedelaphoto.com/Lumix-S1-S1R-Reportage-test-MACHU,15439.html )  
In nr. 114 (April) there are also tests of the 3 Panasonic lenses.  

The review from photography blog has lately been updated and contains now an awful lot of pictures of the equipment (but also sample photos).  https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_s1_review/first_impressions

Edited by caissa

On 4/23/2019 at 3:40 AM, caissa said:

So I have again the impression, this is mainly a gimmick to find more subscribers (clickbait). (An Easter present for him). We had this type of "problem finding" already in big style when the SL 50 was introduced, two years ago.

I'm afraid that you are right.  Trust your own perceptions. DL's business model is to sew FUD.  I used to subscribe, but gave up when I could not see what he described in the examples that the accident-prone DL provided.  All that we know reliably is that he likes Zeiss and thinks Leica overpriced.

He does not restrict his schtick to cameras.  Look at his macperformance site, which is open, for a sample.