Is the S1/S1R a good backup camera for SL

caissa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will very like keep my SL. But I would like to have a backup body, just in case. Would the S1 or S1R fit that gap ?

I was up until now reluctant to buy a second  (maybe secondhand as well) SL body. Partly because the price is still high, and because I have the feeling an upgrade is soon overdue.

For me yes, definitely, the S1R would nicely fit into that gap, despite its size (it's maybe even slightly bigger/heavier than the SL). I like the optional LENR (the most nerve-racking feature of the SL), the IBIS and especially the gigantic high res mode (a whopping 187 megapixel). And the price is still affordable for a simple backup camera ...    

What are other options that other users prefer ? Like using a X1D in combination with the SL. Or a Sony or another new mirrorless from CaNikon ?

Edited by caissa

I have considered this too, but for me it wouldn't make a good backup, because the controls and handling are so different. The best backup really is always the same body, or at least one from the same manufacturer (the CL or Q for example in the case of the SL).

The L mount alliance is very charming, it seems to offer a lot of products with the same mount and thus interchangability. But watch out: In the press release of the L mount alliance, the companies clearly stated that it is only a common standard. Every manufacturer may add additional features to his body or lens to make it work better.

For the S1(R) this may mean DFD autofocus. It needs a lens characteristic to work optimal. So Panasonic lenses may work bette with it than 3rd part lenses. The S Pro lenses by Panasonic are "approved by Leica" like the DG Panasonic lenses for MFT  - whatever this means here. The Sigma lenses will be rolled out very fast - I doubt that Panasonic will hurry up to implement lens profiles for these.

So, everything looks quite nice on paper.  However, I would wait how it works out in practice. If everything is fine, the S1R might be a nice camera, though it is big and heavy and has a lot of buttons. But this is a very personal decision.

The S1R is of course a foreign camera with a user interface different to the SL, but some reports show that it is also very well thought out. Probably better than the Sony cameras. So I could very well also get used to it.
Handling two different cameras with an intuitive interface is not too difficult. So still top on my list of possible backup cameras.

Here ‘ Ten cool things to know about S1/S1R ‘ :       https://www.dpreview.com/videos/9958532101/dpreview-tv-10-cool-things-you-may-have-missed-about-the-panasonic-s1-and-s1r

Edited by caissa

Not many experiences, yet, of SL lenses on S1 or S1R. But I assume, that behind the scenes Leica and Panasonic have probably already exchanged some gear and made some cross tests. So I assume that the SL lenses will also work well with DFD AF.

I have found only one user's experience (only 10 minutes) with the SL 24-90 on an S1 (on the occasion of the Barcelona exhibition). And he tells AF with this lens is even faster than on the SL. Of course it will need more in depth tests to be certain ....

The SL will probably stay my main camera, so even if its features are more modern the S1/R would fill the backup role. For other users it could be vice versa. (Not too critical to fix the roles one way or the other).  :rolleyes:

Edited by caissa

Experiences of a german team of photographers with the Panasonic S1 and S lenses in Fuerteventura.
Positive and negative points (btw. a nice size comparison with Sigma 1.4/105 and 12-24)
45 minutes video in german (if you don't mind) but at least with real experiences (three day photo shooting), not only the feature lists that the Northrups sell us as "truth about...this and that" to get us as click-bait .   :rolleyes:

Panasonic Lumix S1 Full Review / Praxisbericht ... - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtCD9tEKS00

Edited by caissa

Am 9.2.2019 um 05:47 schrieb caissa:

More hands on experiences with Lumix S1 and S1R,  in 42 minutes:

And more about DFD AF:   Can it focus ?

Part 1 :           https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8bX9kFaJhjA

Part 2 :

This guy is good. Gives usefull feedback like 'put the EV button to the far left and the WB balance to the far right.'

Am 6.2.2019 um 05:58 schrieb caissa:

Experiences of a german team of photographers with the Panasonic S1 and S lenses in Fuerteventura.
Positive and negative points (btw. a nice size comparison with Sigma 1.4/105 and 12-24)
45 minutes video in german (if you don't mind) but at least with real experiences (three day photo shooting), not only the feature lists that the Northrups sell us as "truth about...this and that" to get us as click-bait .   :rolleyes:

Panasonic Lumix S1 Full Review / Praxisbericht ... - YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtCD9tEKS00

Excellent, impartial review. Great location for testing the camera. Spot on about the size of mirrorless bodies. Love the skin tones, BTW, even though the pictures shown are compressed, in-camera JPEGs.

Panasonic S1R:

47 MP w/ presumingly higher DR than SL sensor

187 MP multi-shot pixel-shift technology for ultra high resolution photography of static motives

5-axis IBIS

presumingly quicker AF than SL

5.7 MP 120 FPS EVF

Fuji-style bidirectional tiltable screen

That really pushes Leica R&D to release a.s.a.p. a SL II with equivalent IQ & feature set.

I mean, who realistically would consider to buy a SL for 6K when one can get that machine for 3.5K (assumed that the S1R AF system also works well with Leiuca L lenses)?

My guess is that Panasonic will benfit much more from the L mount cooperation than Leica.

• Like 1

I'll definitely get the SL2 that is supposed to be released in September of this year, be it just for the handling and the aesthetics of the body (I'm a sucker for beauty). I also hope that it may have a couple of features that the Panasonic doesn't have (that's why they pushed the release date out from the Spring to the Fall, I believe - initially I was told Spring), although it's hard to see what. I'm likely to try the S1R and shoot it side by side with the α7R III and the Z7 with the same lens. The Panasonic is not using a BSI sensor. Risky IMO and I'll compare DR and ISO performance among the three cameras in real life situations. I'll also compare the AF. The AI DFD CDAF of the Panasonic looks very interesting. The reviewer in the long German video above was very impressed with AF-C tracking of surfers in the water and he talks about it around 23:00.  

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

I'll definitely get the SL2 that is supposed to be released in September of this year, be it just for the handling and the aesthetics of the body (I'm a sucker for beauty).

I agree, but the word is they might be going for a more "curvy" design, to please those who moaned about the "edgy" design of the first camera. I really hope they don't, because I love the SL body just as it is.

2 hours ago, chrismuc said:

Panasonic S1R:

47 MP w/ presumingly higher DR than SL sensor

187 MP multi-shot pixel-shift technology for ultra high resolution photography of static motives

5-axis IBIS

presumingly quicker AF than SL

5.7 MP 120 FPS EVF

Fuji-style bidirectional tiltable screen

That really pushes Leica R&D to release a.s.a.p. a SL II with equivalent IQ & feature set.

I mean, who realistically would consider to buy a SL for 6K when one can get that machine for 3.5K (assumed that the S1R AF system also works well with Leiuca L lenses)?

My guess is that Panasonic will benfit much more from the L mount cooperation than Leica.

I think you are correct. Leica is going to have to work hard to keep up with the competition on bodies. However they may have just created a bigger market for this lenses. Let’s face it everyone wants the best quality lens they can afford. Larger sensors demand better glass so this may just be a bonus for LEICA.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I’m confused...or he is.  He initially mentions use of contrast detect AF (which I think is correct), but then keeps referring to phase detect.

Jeff

I try to ignore such small errors. I think we are used to the fact that we here know the technical details better than some moderators. And it is always more difficult to omit mistakes when in front of a camera. But the video contains a lot of real examples - more than any other until now (and does not only show the face of the host/speaker all the time).

Edited by caissa