Panasonic S1/S1R Thoughts From SL Owners?

vor 17 Stunden schrieb ron777:

I have to say that I agree.  And while I like my SL, I am so intrigued by the Panasonic S1R's specs and available video promos, that I have preordered same.  No camera is perfect, and the SL certainly has its quirks, but I don't see Leica responding to user complaints and desires with the same exuberance as other manufacturers.  We, as owner operators, represent a niche class of photographers when compared to the other brands, and I suspect that Leica, aware of this factoid,  has an if you build it they will buy attitude.  I may be off base, and a future SL Mark II may represent the panacea of technological advances, but if past behavior is any indication, I am doubtful.  So, do we need the red dot to acquire superlative images?

Look at Chris Niccolls’ video on the S1R on DPReview TV. He inadvertently kept pushing buttons on the back of the Panasonic body and choosing settings he didn’t want to be in. Some people will pay up for the SL2 just to avoid this.

Edited by Chaemono

Some of us prefer dedicated "buttons," as opposed to menu diving and multifunction, rubberized  switches.  That's why there are so many flavors of ice cream.  But I do agree that transitioning from one to the other could initially be problematic. It's just a matter of becoming accustomed to the presence of the buttons and the instant functional availability that they provide.

Edited by ron777
  • Like 1

vor 19 Stunden schrieb ron777:

...,but I don't see Leica responding to user complaints and desires with the same exuberance as other manufacturers.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. Well, they do with a cleaner layout and fewer buttons that aren’t inadvertently pushed.

Edited by Chaemono

Agreed, the SL has a cleaner layout than most cams, but I and others prefer the presence of dedicated actuators (buttons) for certain functions.  That said, I frequently switch back and forth between the SL and a Sony a7rIII, and have not experienced any muscle memory issues in re the presence of buttons or lack thereof.  But I wasn't referring to the button issue when I made the statement quoted in your post but, rather, to their general response to user suggestions and or complaints.

Am 3.2.2019 um 09:49 schrieb mls1483:

Sony A7R has an even thicjer sensor glass than Sony A7R2. Still pictures are nicer with the Noctilux.

The thick sensor stack may affect the light rays hitting the sensor in a steep angle, i.e. from the edge of a wide angle and ulta wide angle lenses. Above 35mm focal length there ar no problems with Leica M glass on Sony cameras (or from other manufacturers). The APO Summicron 50mm  even shines more on the Sony A7R2 than on the M. Fior the very special lens - the Noctilux 50mm - it is somehow different.

The light hitting the sensor does not only have to pass the filter stack and micro lenses (aspherical ones in case of the new S1R), but there is a lot of scattering and absorption going on. And even after having reached the light sensitive surface, the light first produces an analogues signal , which has to be convertted by the AD converter. The way from electric signals to an actual picture is very long and much more complex than most of us think.