Reviews of the S1R and S1

bags27

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I published my final review and user-report of the Panasonic Lumix S1R here:

https://www.overgaard.dk/Panasonic-Lumix-S1R-mirrorless-camera-with-L-mount-Page-1.html

There's link to raw files and sample files of High resolution Mode (187).

As well as video reviews, part 1 and 2:

Panasonix Lumix S1R video review Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8NojUS078

Panasonix Lumix S1R video review Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM0kqFY2riY

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

"...too many buttons and features..."

That's the first time that I've heard someone complain about too much of a good thing.  The features do not have to be used and the buttons can be ignored, but they exist as employable  options.  Oh for the days of the Brownie Hawkeye ... NOT.

I've been working with the S1R for about a week, using mostly the SL APO 35 Summicron.  I tried some test shots with my M 21/3.4 asph, using the Leica M to L adapter, and found it awkward to focus. Panatomic's support for manual lenses is clumsy and got in my way, plus I had some concerns about possible resolution losses at the edges with the Panasonic implementation of this sensor.  We'll have to see how M lenses work with a Leica 47 MPx sensor when that finally appears.  But the pictures obtained with the SL 35 are very satisfying, especially when the scene has lots of people, and the surplus of pixels helps to render them all clearly, like here:

P1000394 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

I also think there are just too many buttons.  At least most of them have labels, but then you can redefine all of them, sometimes unknowingly... The viewfinder is very clear, a small but definite improvement over the SL's now three year old finder.  I like the angle and pitch presentation, but find the AF area presentation and ability to move it around confusing, and AF performance, while usually fast in good light, frequently seizes on things like grass in the foreground with high detail content when the object I wanted is smooth.  Back button focus still eludes me.  It seems to require redefining buttons, which I am reluctant to do.  More here.

Jono Slack has been shooting with an S1 and confided (on FB) that he just might write an article about his experiences.  

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I've been working with the S1R for about a week, using mostly the SL APO 35 Summicron.  I tried some test shots with my M 21/3.4 asph, using the Leica M to L adapter, and found it awkward to focus. Panatomic's support for manual lenses is clumsy and got in my way, plus I had some concerns about possible resolution losses at the edges with the Panasonic implementation of this sensor.  We'll have to see how M lenses work with a Leica 47 MPx sensor when that finally appears.  But the pictures obtained with the SL 35 are very satisfying, especially when the scene has lots of people, and the surplus of pixels helps to render them all clearly, like here:

P1000394 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

I also think there are just too many buttons.  At least most of them have labels, but then you can redefine all of them, sometimes unknowingly... The viewfinder is very clear, a small but definite improvement over the SL's now three year old finder.  I like the angle and pitch presentation, but find the AF area presentation and ability to move it around confusing, and AF performance, while usually fast in good light, frequently seizes on things like grass in the foreground with high detail content when the object I wanted is smooth.  Back button focus still eludes me.  It seems to require redefining buttons, which I am reluctant to do.  More here.

Jono Slack has been shooting with an S1 and confided (on FB) that he just might write an article about his experiences.  

I find it interesting that people are still deeply concerned about "M" lens compatibility with non-Leica cameras.  Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my impression that there is nothing in the L alliance that seeks to achieve M lens compatibility.  I understand that many have an investment in M lenses that they would like to continue benefiting from, but for companies other than Leica, there is no financial gain from providing that desired, transparent compatibility.  Furthermore, IMO, putting a manual lens on a modern, AF camera, is the rough equivalent of whitewall tires on a Lambo.

As for too many buttons ... what is the number that qualifies as too many?  Reminds me of the man who walks into a restaurant and complains about the menu having too many choices.

Back button focus:  unless your style of shooting demands (AFc) continuous focus, put the camera in MF and use the AF button on the camera's rear. I have been using this method since I'd transitioned from the SL, and it works without issue.  BTW, it also works for manual lenses, of which I own only one (a Voightlander) having sold all of my M lenses.

S1r's EVF vs SL:  A major complaint, of mine and others, with the SL's EVF was, and is its tendency towards dimness or downright blackout when confronted with bright, sunlit scenes, such as those encountered in the South Florida sun,  as well as the inability to adjust the EVF's brightness.  The S1r does not exhibit these issues.  So, IMO, its improvement over that of the SL's EVF is considerably more than "slight."

Edited by ron777
  • Like 1

M lenses are small and some are excellent (e.g. the 21/3.4).  It would be nice to be able to bring that one along instead of the still rather large 16-35 SL zoom.  But no, I think M lenses belong on M cameras, which is a whole different mode of operation, but one I also enjoy.

I've worked with the S1R in deep focus scenes where I want to try several possible compositions before refocusing, setting MF to get that.  I found AF from the #2 AF button was a bit slow and uncertain, and since we are now in MF and I can't bear the magnification effect and its distraction, there is no way to see what just was focussed on.  My first tries were unsuccessful.  Maybe I'll find a few more tweaks and sort this out, but the SL, in MF with magnification off, using the joystick to set AF, just worked for me.

Now for restaurants. There aren't many restaurants that I would come back to day after day, each time requesting a different dish.  Knowing one or two things that I can look forward to on an occasional visit is enough for me.  And I am not fond of wading through a ten page menu plus two pages of wine and a similar long list of craft beers on tap while the waiter is hovering for a crisp order.  Well maybe the beer list is OK.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We agree, in that M lenses are for M cameras.

As for MF and magnification, I've never considered turning it off, so I don't know if it is even possible (I will check under FOCUS AIDS), however, a slight touch of the shutter release will cancel it.  In my experience, the MF button's focusing is just as quick as when activated via the shutter release, which i have turned off.  BTW, I use the MF, back button, for focusing on a daily basis as I, so far, have not required the use of  Afc.

I too enjoy perusing a restaurant's wine list, usually in search of the elusive 1962 Chateau Petrus, but no luck so far. And that's a good thing, since its cost would remove a great deal of pocket change.

• 1 month later...