Reviews of the S1R and S1

bags27

While I would not consider this a review since he does not have the camera in hand for testing, it was interesting to hear from someone who seems to speak about cameras in a measured and informed way. Usually when I hear youtube reviewers they seem to know the specs very well but often miss the forest for the trees when it comes to that actual utility of any given system or feature to professional photographers and artists. Hugh seemed to have a more nuanced understanding of how these systems can suit different users, while still having the technical details at hand. Personally, I am quite demanding regarding ergonomics and usability, while still being a real stickler for real world performance, but I do not have the patience to keep up with all the nuanced details between the various mirrorless systems. I found this video interesting in that it filled in a number of details which I found helpful, while still seeming to take a more coherent understanding of the utility of different options. 

As for the cameras, they certainly are very intriguing. I look forward to seeing them at some point, though I imagine it will be awhile before they start showing up here in the arctic (which is positively balmy compared to the midwest US, apparently). 

23 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

While I would not consider this a review since he does not have the camera in hand for testing, it was interesting to hear from someone who seems to speak about cameras in a measured and informed way.

.... well that's an understatement if I've ever heard one ....... he has never been one for using a few words when a hundred or so could do instead. :rolleyes:

I have nightmares of being stuck beside him on a 12 hour long-haul flight 'discussing' photography......

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, thighslapper said:

I have nightmares of being stuck beside him on a 12 hour long-haul flight 'discussing' photography......

Horrors! I would pray for inspiration from Saint Rosanne Rosanadana to deflect his dialog. Be loud. Maybe start with his haircut, then its color, ask if he's ever seen a comb, maybe a brush, and point out that a tiny critter just peaked from the bush. You know, like only Rosanne Rosanadana could do.

• Haha 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

He has quickly positioned himself as a serious 'influencer' on youtube and is one I enjoy watching - it helps that he can actually make a decent shot - that means a lot to me as the #1 filter I 'parse' when reading what people write in forums or Vlog on the net. I mean every site is crowded out by chest puffers who cant shoot but know the finer points of what screw was used to hold a lenshood in place and where it might have been sourced.

To his credit he doesn't 'push' anyone to buy anything and has good and bad things to say ( quite rightly) about most cameras and lenses he reviews. In this way he is 'fair' - I think it is also interesting to note that whilst he uses Sony and Panasonic for his Vlogiing - he is probably the only Youtuber who has shelled out his hard earned on a Leica TL - now switching to a CL - I agree with him the CL may well be fairly described as  the new M.

Leica has chosen wisely in giving him time and access to the Leica gear- as he is a person who acknowledges the 'cost' but doesn't make it the 'deal breaker' most other tin hats on YouTube make of the issue. his interview with the head of CL product on youtube is very worthwhile watching as was his review of the SL and his interview with the head of Marketing.

I just wish sometimes he would speak less when interviewing and listen just a tad more- however he has shown that he can get company people to speak something most youtuber types can't. Certainly a cut above the Tony Northrop types and their shrill blandness.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Haha, he talks too much say the men with 7100 posts and 18400 posts on a single photo forum! He is verbose, surely, but he also seems to have more than a half a brain, which is more than can be said for many youtube influencers. 

we keep it brief and to the point. :P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I agree, the boxes are not up to Leica's speed, but cardboard doesn't record images and the camera costs less than half of the price of the SL when it was initially released.  

I'd received two brand new, sealed S1R boxes and the accessory box in each one had been pierced with a one inch hole ... same place on each one.  That said, I just batch converted 17 raw S1R flies to DNG and viewed them in Capture One 12.  Wow!  The images taken with the S1R and Leica 24-90mm Vario Elmar are striking and, as one would anticipate with a 47MP sensor, enlarging to 400%—who does that—does not cause pixelation.

As noted elsewhere on this site, sharpening reacts differently, in that a much higher percentage is required before an actual difference can be observed. I suspect that this might be related to the file size, rather than the converted DNG file.  I will pull up a Sony a7rIII file later on and see if it behaves in a similar fashion.

Edited by ron777

16 minutes ago, ron777 said:

As noted elsewhere on this site, sharpening reacts differently, in that a much higher percentage is required before an actual difference can be observed. I suspect that this might be related to the file size, rather than the converted DNG file.  I will pull up a Sony a7rIII file later on and see if it behaves in a similar fashion.

Of course it relates to file size which relates to display size. In the end it all about display size and viewing distance. Sharpening a very large image does not scale to our modest screens.

Edited by pico

18 minutes ago, ron777 said:

I'd received two brand new, sealed S1R boxes and the accessory box in each one had been pierced with a one inch hole ... same place on each one.

Might those holes be for using a finger to pull out a drawer?

LOL. The holes were clearly not intentional.  If I have a chance, I'll take a pic and post it.  The portion of the box that had been penetrated, in both cases, was empty and I suspect that it was pressed against some other interior element.  It resulted in no harm, but it is unsightly and indicates that whomever designed Panasonic's packaging should be fired or seriously reprimanded. 

Edited by ron777

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

... and some reviews of the Panasonic lenses.  This https://www.insideimaging.com.au/2019/review-panasonic-lumix-s-24-105mm-f4-50mm-f1-4-70-200mm-f4/ is a summary, but it contains some lines to individual reviews with MTF charts, etc.

See also https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/panasonic-s-24-105mm-f4-macro-ois-review

Edited by jrp