New Firmware/Fotos App?

Here's the summary of new features in the firmware for SL[601]  Once I get this formatted, I'll look to see if there is also something for the CL.

Camera FW 3.4 Lens FW 1.1

Easy Connect

§ New QR code for easy pairing of smartphone and camera.

§ Fixed WLAN name and password, no submenus for setting name and password.

§ No submenus for setting a connection mode, e.g. Create WLAN or Join WLAN.

Compatibility with upcoming lenses from L-Mount Alliance partners

§ Body-lens communication standard extended for compatibility with upcoming L-Mount lenses.

§ Additional menu for updating the lens-firmware of upcoming lenses from L-Mount Alliance partners via SL camera body.

§ Compatibility with upcoming L-Mount lenses, that are equipped with an AF/MF switch on the lens barrel. In this case the lens switch is the master for AF/MF mode.

§ Compatibility with upcoming L-Mount lenses, that are equipped with an OIS mode switch on the lens barrel. In this case the lens switch is the master for OIS mode.

Bugfix

§ In some cases the VARIO-ELMARIT-SL 24-90 f/2.8-4 ASPH. did show front focus issues. Lens Firmware 1.1 does solve this issue.

So it seems there is new lens firmware (which will be applied by the camera to the lens) for the 24-90.

Since it was possible to connect FOTOS to the SL before by scanning the QR code, we'll just have to see if something has changed in the code interface.  Perhaps it has been streamlined to only offer the QR "hotspot"-like link, but that will offend some users who have other software to connect.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

TL/DR reminder from the instructions.  To get everything working again:

upgrade SL firmware to 3.4

install the new FOTOS

in FOTOS, uninstall your SL by swiping left, then reconnect with the new QR code.

That should bring everything to the state which Leica hopes to find.

Wilson, I was able to get the download from en.leica-camera.com (Germany) and it is also on the Member's area in the US site, but that is more trouble.  There doesn't seem to be a CL firmware update.  The CL already has configured its wifi into the purely QR code, one-step mode.  This firmware update does the same for the SL.

However, the update for the SL prepares it to work with new L-mount lenses from other manufacturers.  The CL will also need some firmware updates if it is also to work with the new lenses.  I certainly would hate to see this left out.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

Wilson, I was able to get the download from en.leica-camera.com (Germany) and it is also on the Member's area in the US site, but that is more trouble.  There doesn't seem to be a CL firmware update.  The CL already has configured its wifi into the purely QR code, one-step mode.  This firmware update does the same for the SL.

However, the update for the SL prepares it to work with new L-mount lenses from other manufacturers.  The CL will also need some firmware updates if it is also to work with the new lenses.  I certainly would hate to see this left out.

Thanks for the link folks. So having broken the wifi on the CL, they are now repeating their idiocy on the SL. What a bunch of numbskulls. Do they explain how we are supposed to use the QR code to join an existing network for browser access? It is not as if they have not been told about the mistake on the CL by lots of people. Words fail me. I will avoid the FW update on the SL unless I buy a 70-200 Panasonic lens. 

Wilson

PS Having looked at the FW notes, I can only assume Leica have employed a 19 year old programmer with his iPhone glued to his hand, who cannot conceive of anyone using any other digital device to look at or edit photos. Have Leica corrected the low resolution screen (phone resolution) on the Fotos app, when used on an iPad? I am going to send a customer review of the FW update to Leica, explaining that many of their customers still use computers with large screens and would like to be able to access their photos quickly, without having to remove the SD card(s). 

Edited by wlaidlaw

Yes, my impression is that transfer times haven’t changed at all, only the speed (and convenience) of the initial connection. It’s a significant improvement in my opinion.

I'm seeing some slightly odd behaviour with the new Fotos app (possibly it was there with the old, I hadn't used it much), iPhone version - once connected, the camera changes to P mode and AFs (I generally use MF mode, with back button for AF, and A or M mode). Using the app to change the exposure mode again sort of works, but it will often switch back to P. I have to change focus mode on the camera (and it does seem to stick once done). Once disconnected, the camera doesn't revert to my previous focus and exposure settings. Has anybody seen similar? A known issue perhaps, any workarounds?

Edited by Guest

I've just tried the old Leica SL app, and it works fine, and has more control options as well (e.g. exposure mode), so I think I'll use that for the time being.

EDIT - it also connects and transfers files much faster.

Edited by Guest

vor 3 Stunden schrieb AndyGarton:

I'm seeing some slightly odd behaviour with the new Fotos app (possibly it was there with the old, I hadn't used it much), iPhone version - once connected, the camera changes to P mode and AFs (I generally use MF mode, with back button for AF, and A or M mode). Using the app to change the exposure mode again sort of works, but it will often switch back to P. I have to change focus mode on the camera (and it does seem to stick once done). Once disconnected, the camera doesn't revert to my previous focus and exposure settings. Has anybody seen similar? A known issue perhaps, any workarounds?

I've reported this bug during the beta test of the initial version, added comments on the Apple App Store and posted this somewhere in this forum. I never got any feedback from Leica. Because it's not fixed in the current version I think that this behavior is intended and not accepted as a bug. That's very annoying. 

• Thanks 1

This is regarding the Leica SL new Firmware 3.4, released 2 Feb 2019

Has anyone else noticed that the Auto ISO functionality appears broken?  For version 3.3 there was no problem setting the ISO limits to ISO 200-3200 and the minimum shutter speed to "1/f".

The new Version 3.4 however takes these settings and almost always interprets them as ISO 3200 with a shutter speed of 1/3200 in everything other than bright sunlight.  Consequently if you are shooting indoors then, effectively, Auto ISO no longer works because all shots are at 1/3200.

Mind you, I am using the Leica R-Adapter L (16076), so this quirk may only be related to that adapter.

Thoughts?

AZN

Edited by AZN
Correct typos =Q
  • Thanks 1

I'm also seeing some odd behavior in Auto ISO with 3.4.  There is a new interface on the LCD when you set the Auto ISO controls -- notice the bar at the bottom of the LCD with a blue line for the min and a red line for the Max.  You have to press RB button "OK" to confirm to complete a setting change.  Then the new settings will stick.  But when I switch back to shooting mode, with an R lens on the Leica R to L adapter, and the lens cap on, I get max ISO and a shutter speed of 1/6400, rather than the min shutter speed that I just set (1/f).  It will take some time to see if the problem only occurs with the R to L adapter, but I will check some other cases.  

edit: Auto ISO seems OK with an SL 75 SC, so the R to L adapter may be the critical link that oisn't working right in firmware 3.4.

edit2: After walking around with 75/2.0 L, I returned to R to L with R 80/1.4 installed.  This time things seem OK.  There may be some initialization steps needed for the new firmware to settle down (this is characteristic of code that hasn't cleared all variables before first using them...)

5 hours ago, AZN said:

This is regarding the Leica SL new Firmware 3.4, released 2 Feb 2019

[snip]

Consequently if you are shooting indoors then, effectively, Auto ISO no longer works because all shots are at 1/3200.

Mind you, I am using the Leica R-Adapter L (16076), so this quirk may only be related to that adapter.

Thanks for the follow-up Scott.

Did some experimenting myself.  I don't have any native L lenses, but I do have the Leica M-Adapter L.  Tried a few 6-bit M lenses and there were no problems with Auto ISO.

I also have the Leica R-Adapter M.  Stacked it onto the M-Adapter L and and tried it with a few ROM R lenses... again there were no problems with Auto ISO (!)

Then I tried the Leica R-Adapter L again.  Unfortunately got the same stuck on 1/3200 shutter speed at ISO 3200 behaviour (my max ISO setting)

So... along with your experiments, looks like it's a bug between Firmware 3.4 and the Leica R-Adapter L only.  Annoying, but not the end of the world.

Have  Leica stopped using us forum members to beta test their Firmware updates? If this is the case, that is a really stupid move, to dump a knowledgeable, enthusiastic and FREE resource. They had been using forum members since the days of UV contamination and Italian Flag problems on the M8, more recently coordinated by Leon of our moderating team. With staggeringly dumb errors like disabling WiFi web browser access and now Auto ISO, maybe this will be a wake up call to start using us again. The sad thing is that we miss out on the good points like improved AF, if we don't install the update to avoid the errors. 

I have already advised the disabling of WiFi web browser access as an error to Jimmy Hughes at Leica UK but I am not sure that NIH and WKB will not apply (Not Invented Here and We Know Best). 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

Wilson, I'm sure this doesn't help, and you're probably aware of it anyway, but I did a brief test with the new firmware - it does support a "Join WLAN" option (I honestly can't remember if this was removed in an earlier version or not). That works to join my home WiFi, and the old Leica SL iOS app then sees the camera, without me having to join my phone to the SL's own network first (it also means of course that I still have an internet connection available on my phone). The camera doesn't display an IP address however, so browser access still isn't possible. I did however use my router software to find the camera's IP address, and my browser did partially connect to it, but unfortunately I just got a "forbidden" error (on a pink background, so it didn't look like Chrome's own error, it did receive something at least from the camera).

Edited by Guest