M10 Monochrom in 2-3 months

mikeamosau

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the release of the M10 Safari Edition today, it seems Leica is following the M240 release schedule. For me that means we should expect an M10 Monochrom very soon...

Leica M 240 - April 2013

Leica M-P 240 - September 2014 (17 months later)

Leica M 240 Safari Edition - February 2015 (5 months later)

Leica M 246 Monochrome - April 2015 (2 months 

——————

Leica M10 - January 2017

Leica M 10 P - August 2018 (18 months later)

Leica M 10 Safari Edition - January 2019 (5 months later)

Leica M 10 Monochrome - I Expect March/April 2019

——————

And just for fun….

Leica M11 - I expect January / February 2021

I’m preordering mine now!!

Mike

• Like 5

Maybe.

But I think's Leica's own release schedule is "whenever the h*ll we want to," not according to a set pattern of months per model. And "WTHWWT" is probably determined by how many M246 Monochroms are still sitting on their shelves. ;)

I think there was a recent interview with Leica product managers where they said the relative difference between switching from CCD (MM1) to CMOS (MM246), and simply switching from a CMOS (M240) to a slightly improved CMOS (M10) meant they didn't feel as much pressure to chase an M10M - but that there would be one eventually. Probably closer in time to the next color camera upgrade.

But as my Leica rep once said (with a wink - when the M9 rumors were circulating), "You just never know....!"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, adan said:

Maybe.

But I think's Leica's own release schedule is "whenever the h*ll we want to," not according to a set pattern of months per model. And "WTHWWT" is probably determined by how many M246 Monochroms are still sitting on their shelves. ;)

I think there was a recent interview with Leica product managers where they said the relative difference between switching from CCD (MM1) to CMOS (MM246), and simply switching from a CMOS (M240) to a slightly improved CMOS (M10) meant they didn't feel as much pressure to chase an M10M - but that there would be one eventually. Probably closer in time to the next color camera upgrade.

But as my Leica rep once said (with a wink - when the M9 rumors were circulating), "You just never know....!"

Might be right... but nice to hope!

On 2/2/2019 at 5:58 AM, mikeamosau said:

Believe me, it will be this year! 😃

On my right:  double _0_se7en  says "not in 2019" and on my left  mikeamosau  says "it will be this year" . Once double_0_se7en was well informed, so I'll bet 🎲a virtual penny on him.

Not long to know which has best source.

Hmmm.  The registration paper work for a Q2 is apparently filed.  The S3 has been preannounced and has to ship soon or be completely left in the dust.  I notice SLs are going out of stock everywhere, so perhaps there is an SL2 in the works for later this year (it is over 3 years old now).  If there are MM[246]es on the shelves, I wouldn't expect any urgency.   How many people work in Wetzlar, anyway?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, _Olivier said:

I'm eagerly awaiting the m10m. I'l sell my m10 to fund it, and that will leave me with a m9m, a m10m and a Q.  

What actual pixel count can we expect from a monochrome M10?

• Like 1

Pixel count will be the same as the base M10 sensor - 24Mp. Otherwise it won't be an M10-M, it'll be an M11-M or whatever.

Just as previously: M9 = Monochrom I = 18 MP.  M(240) = M(246) = 24 MP. It's whatever the current color sensor is - simply with the Bayer-color filtering stripped off.

They'll be sharper pixels (slightly) than the Bayer-color M10's, since no interpolation (swapping of data between neighboring pixels to get full color) will be needed.

They may be marginally "better" than the M246 24 Mpixels due to the new microlenses (less vignetting with certain uncoded wide-angles), and the M10's ISO increase before banding appears (~1-1.5 stops depending on how you count it).

Realistically, I kind of expect the M10-M to really be an M10-P/D-M. with the faux wind lever, and/or touch screen and such. But that won't affect the pixels.

• Like 1