Panasonic S1R body weight

ron777

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, caissa said:

The simple sentence the SL is too big and heavy was never true. And it is even more silly to say that today.

.... in your opinion.

The SL and it's native lenses are clearly a tier above Nikon Z series, Sony A7 series, and the X1D in both size and weight.

M and R lenses can be adapted to all MILC cameras so what's really silly is to bring them into this discussion.

25 minutes ago, caissa said:

So a user with a little bit of cleverness chooses from all these options what he needs.  

Please refrain from attacking the intellect of other posters to prove your point.  It's just plain wrong.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, caissa said:

The Summicrons are there and their size is well known.. So what are you expecting ?   🤔

The 35mm and 50mm SL Summicrons that we’re supposed to be available in 2018. The 75mm and 90mm are out and their size is very manageable unlike the zooms IMO. 

Have you seen the size of Canon EOS RP + the new incredibly compact RF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM ? 

This is the way to go. Canon RF lenses are almost the most desirable in the FF mirrorless world. And IQ is also excellent. 

Canon even announced IBIS for future EOS R camera, which will give us dual IS.

L-mount lenses size and weight are more and more embarrassing now. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Have you seen the size of Canon EOS RP + the new incredibly compact RF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM ? 

This is the way to go. Canon RF lenses are almost the most desirable in the FF mirrorless world. And IQ is also excellent. 

Canon even announced IBIS for future EOS R camera, which will give us dual IS.

L-mount lenses size and weight are more and more embarrassing now. 

Well I've seen a picture of it - that's all.  

Having owned and used the RF 24-105,  have to say that didn't feel very small to me, the RF 35mm 1.8, light enough but nothing special.

Only L mount lenses I have are the TL's 18-56, 55-135, 35 and 23, all well balanced on the CL/TL bodies,  I agree, right enough the SL lens are big and heavy but beautiful performers from what I've seen.

Me, I'm just hanging on in here and hoping for something long and image stabilised for my CL, because my couple of months with the Canon R just confirmed how much nicer to use a Leica is.

I should add, it's just my opinion as a happy snapping hobbyist, if I was a working Pro I might possibly see things differently, horses for courses.

Edited by Boojay
Additional comment.
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Boojay said:

I should add, it's just my opinion as a happy snapping hobbyist, if I was a working Pro I might possibly see things differently, horses for courses.

...... that's where most of the disagreements on the forum arise ..... we all have completely different criteria as to what is a decent camera ....:huh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Canon RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM patent 

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20190004296

It is a variable length zoom lens  

Focal length: 72mm
Lengh of zoom lens: 172.73

Focal length: 135mm
Lengh of zoom lens: 227.50

Focal length: 194,99mm
Lengh of zoom lens: 242.86

Seems like Lumix S 70-200mm f/4 with 179mm x ø 84,4mm is bigger.

• 1 month later...
Am 7.2.2019 um 03:35 schrieb caissa:

The Summicrons are there and their size is well known.. So what are you expecting ?   🤔

I am only aware of two Summicrons which are available right now: 75 and 90.

We still wait for 35 and 50 and anything wider is not even announced yet.

I also think SL lenses should become more compact and I hope the SL2 will be more Nikon Z7 size.  Then it would be a nice combo with the Summicrons.

Also a more compact midrange zoom would be nice, as well as a 80-200/4.0 or a 180/2.8 in compact size.

Of course the SL or S1(r) are faster cameras to use than a S or X1d, but I also agree with others here: For landscape, small hikes with kids, etc.) I think the MF offerings are attractive and reward with its IQ.

It would be great if Leica would make a Summarit or Elmarit SL range. They could be lighter due to smaller aperture…
Build so rugged out of metal i think a Summicron with AF and weather sealing can not be much lighter without the use of plastic.
And imagine Leica will produce light plastic lenses!
That would be the apocalypse for most Leica user…

• Like 1

Am ‎14‎.‎02‎.‎2019 um 10:33 schrieb verwackelt:

People that had bought light lenses complain that they feel cheep and are not rugged enough….
So one kind of death we have to die…

Nikon show with their 35 and 50 that its possible to make lenses which feel good, have great optics, are fast and priced under 1000 Euro.

vor 16 Stunden schrieb verwackelt:

It would be great if Leica would make a Summarit or Elmarit SL range. They could be lighter due to smaller aperture…
Build so rugged out of metal i think a Summicron with AF and weather sealing can not be much lighter without the use of plastic.
And imagine Leica will produce light plastic lenses!
That would be the apocalypse for most Leica user…

I agree that a more "economical" priced Summarit line comparable to the M would be really nice. I think size wise the Summicrons are fine (once they are available) but the price is really steep. Even though I am sure they have that little extra performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tom0511 said:

I agree that a more "economical" priced Summarit line comparable to the M would be really nice. I think size wise the Summicrons are fine (once they are available) but the price is really steep. Even though I am sure they have that little extra performance.

Shooting at max F stop is for bragging rights or curiosity.  Need to overcome low light with fast lens is mostly addressed with high ISO sensors nowadays.

Real life shooting is usually with lens stopped down be it portrait of landscape or anything in between, stopped down even budget lens can give thoroughbreds run for their money - i say this as owner of all Summilux M lenses bar one - 24. 

Just now, mmradman said:

Shooting at max F stop is for bragging rights or curiosity.  Need to overcome low light with fast lens is mostly addressed with high ISO sensors nowadays, introduction of IBIS adds new dimension.

Real life shooting is usually with lens stopped down be it portrait of landscape or anything in between, stopped down even budget lens can give thoroughbreds run for their money - i say this as owner of all Summilux M lenses bar one - 24. 

vor 8 Minuten schrieb mmradman:

Shooting at max F stop is for bragging rights or curiosity.  Need to overcome low light with fast lens is mostly addressed with high ISO sensors nowadays.

I agree. Even for the M my Summilux was sold and replaced bei a f2.0 lens.

I choose the SL50/1.4 because there was (is) no other 50 AF prime available.

On the other side for certain subjects AF works and can lead the eye to the important area in the scene.

In regards of body size: I dont think it makes sense to build a small body if the lenses are large. So I dont see the S1 body size problematic for the lenses offered today.

For the Leica zooms its maybe even an davantage for good balance without adding a grip.

On 2/2/2019 at 5:34 PM, BernardC said:

Not coincidentally, many of the old-style lenses have been rediscovered by cinema shooters. They have a very different look, compared to modern lenses, and that look can work very well for some types of story-telling.

I don't make movies but I couldn't agree more with the underlying idea. I have a Summaron 35 f2.8 which I use sometimes on my SL and the 'look' is radically different.

I handled a S1r for the first time yesterday. While I could work with the body I clearly prefer the size of the SL. For my taste the S1r is somewhat too fat (for my medium sized hands).

So while I found the shape and size not really bad, it was not first love from my side. So now I will (probably) wait and see how the SL2 looks like.

Edited by tom0511

Interesting, since the overall shape of the S1R is identical to the SL and gives one the impression, aside from the buttons and dials, that it was copied from the SL.  However, the grip does extend farther and may be slightly wider, which for myself, makes for a better and more comfortable hold. But everyone's needs are different

• Like 1

I have picked up two new cameras in the last week. A Z7 (first Nikon in 20 years) and a S1R. So it appears I have all the horses in this race. I really do like the Z7 body. It works really well with the current lenses. However wit a 70-200 2.8 and adaptor it's no where near as nice as the SL or S1R and 90-280. So I have paired the Z7 with a 70-200 f4 for now although I think I'll get the PFE70-300 and keep the z7 as a more compact but slower system. The Z7 is a camera I will want to pair with smaller and lighter lenses. I've held a dummy of the Noct Nikkor and it's comically big for the camera.

I tried but did not buy the 24-105 for the S1R. It's light. Much lighter than the Leica. I was tempted. It would make the S and lens about the same as the SL and 24-90. The S1R is heavier but doesn't feel much ore than the SL in the hand. The grips are very similar in size except for the protrusion at the top of the Panasonic. The Panasonic grip is marginally thicker.

I got the 50 for the Z7. Bigger than the Sony 55 with very similar draw. Both exceptionally nice lenses but not in the same class as the SL50, which is the best 50 I've owned. I do prefer the handling of the Z7 very much over the A7R3 I have. The Sony will be moved on to a new home.

I haven't yet printed any files. I've had the Panasonic for three hours but already I can see that the S1R and SL16-35 might just be the best wide zoom combination on the planet. Certainly better than the Sony GM16-35 and maybe better than the Pantax 645Z and 28-45. It's a spectacular combination.

I always liked the balance of the SL and its lenses and the Panasonic has nice balance as well. I hope I can quickly adapt to the different interface.

Is the S1R/SL too big? No, I don't think so, when I take into consideration how the bodies fit in with the lenses available. It's nice to have options like the Z7 though.

Gordon

• Like 3