Panasonic S1R body weight

ron777

I had hoped that the S1 would be a smaller & lighter equivalent of the SL - but clearly those hopes have been dashed.  When your are 70+ years of age, weight is very important!  Yesterday I went for an amble around the local countryside for  an hour and three-quarters carrying circa 1.6kg of Texas Leica (GW690II). Today's aches & pains remind me why it was the first time I had done so for a couple of years...

So I shall continue with M240/M7/MP/R5 and when I really want (need) to use my M and R lenses on a lighter, smaller body, my Sony A6500 (with IBIS) is an excellent solution.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, thighslapper said:

My main concern .... for landscape use ..... is the combined system weight that I have to cart up mountains .... and in that case the body is only a small part of the total. It's lenses, filters,  tripod and foul weather gear that really kill .... and quality optics just don't come light in FF or MF I'm afraid....... whether it's zooms or multiple equivalent primes. 

I’m well familiar with camera weight and hiking, spending several weeks a year in the French Alps, so can certainly empathise. Especially as I’m hauling large format 4x5 around!

Then again, my 4x5 camera body is 1.4kg + lens is a few hundred grams + plastic film holders a few hundred grams in total + lightweight Gitzo 1542 works fine.

So it’s certainly not analogue “Leica M” light - but equally, the weight isn’t absurdly disimilar to what we can total with some 35mm FF digitals and a lens or two ......

Funny thing is body is very large. But lenses are huge. Lumix S 50mm f/1.4 is bigger and heavier than already giant Leica Summilux-SL 1,4/50mm and also bigger than Canon RF 50mm f/1.2 

really crazy. 

Only APS-C L-mount lenses and body are attractive and make sense. Full frame one are totally out of their mind, an engineering fiasco. Even APO-Summicron-SL lineup is too big at 700g a piece. 

You will say that I complain too much about size and weight. And you are right. But if nobody said anything about it, Leica would have never considered to switch his lens strategy to somewhat smaller APO-Summicron-SL line of primes. 

Edited by nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I totally agree.  Back in the day, my R4 + 50 Summilux was the right size for my hands, heavy enough to be stable, and delivered IQ better than I could see the same scene with my own eyes.  Yet it was a dwarf by comparison to today's offerings.  Where is all this bloat coming from?  Don't answer that.  Just think the designers have lost perspective on size and manageability.

Maybe Ansel Adams really did say, "the best camera you can bring with you is the heaviest you can carry."  (Maybe he didn't).  But is all this torture really necessary?

1 hour ago, rob_w said:

I totally agree.  Back in the day, my R4 + 50 Summilux was the right size for my hands, heavy enough to be stable, and delivered IQ better than I could see the same scene with my own eyes.  Yet it was a dwarf by comparison to today's offerings.

A CL with a matched lens will arguably offer better quality than your old R4.

7 hours ago, rob_w said:

I totally agree.  Back in the day, my R4 + 50 Summilux was the right size for my hands, heavy enough to be stable, and delivered IQ better than I could see the same scene with my own eyes.  Yet it was a dwarf by comparison to today's offerings.  Where is all this bloat coming from?  Don't answer that.  Just think the designers have lost perspective on size and manageability.

Maybe Ansel Adams really did say, "the best camera you can bring with you is the heaviest you can carry."  (Maybe he didn't).  But is all this torture really necessary?

Or did he say, “My field kit contains two assistants to carry anything I want.”

(just kidding)

Am 3.2.2019 um 02:30 schrieb Mr.Q:

Thank goodness I moved to a X1D, a lightweight medium format camera. I do not like where the L mount system is heading.

The X1D is a totaly different camera. If you need a very compact and perfect landscape/architect camera only, the X1D is perfectly suited. If you need an allrounder instead, with good video capability and fast frame rate, you should rather go for L-mount. I don't think its a good idea to compare these cameras.

40 minutes ago, saxo said:

The X1D is a totaly different camera. If you need a very compact and perfect landscape/architect camera only, the X1D is perfectly suited. If you need an allrounder instead, with good video capability and fast frame rate, you should rather go for L-mount. I don't think its a good idea to compare these cameras.

I have both the X1D and the SL and while agree that the SL is a better all-rounder, it is a little limiting to say that the X1D is a landscape/architecture camera only. Its an excellent walk around camera with some of the lighter lenses (like the 30 or 45) and also an excellent portrait camera

I look forward to seeing what else comes out this year, both from the L alliance and Hasselblad. I think we are in for a few treats

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fedro said:

I have both the X1D and the SL and while agree that the SL is a better all-rounder, it is a little limiting to say that the X1D is a landscape/architecture camera only. Its an excellent walk around camera with some of the lighter lenses (like the 30 or 45) and also an excellent portrait camera

I look forward to seeing what else comes out this year, both from the L alliance and Hasselblad. I think we are in for a few treats

Agree. The lack of Leica SL primes, zooms in my view are too big and heavy, has caused me to get the X1D for anything below 50mm. Hopefully Leica will rectify soon with the promised Summicrons. 

• Like 1

For my use case the SL lenses are so big that a larger body will make almost no difference - when shooting the native SL glass I usually use the grip anyway. 

Where Leica appears to have kept the SL in a niche spot is by not making the M-Adapter-L a part of the L Mount alliance, so that the SL will retain the ability to "go small" with M glass, which it does brilliantly. I've enjoyed many a holiday with the SL and zooms on board but with a fast M lens (eg 35 Lux) for walking around at night. 

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Fedro:

Yes, I agree, the X1d is suited for portrait as well. But already for portrait, the SL is a strong competitor looking at the SL 2/90 or 2/75. I personally do not need 50Mpx for portrait, 24 suits me fine. But some might miss a central shutter. At that point, you may change to the S series instead.

12 hours ago, saxo said:

Pretty much what the other two said. I use the X1D as a walkaround camera as well. The problem is that the SL with it's current smallest lens offering (Summicron-SL) is still 405 grams heavier than a X1D + 45.  If Leica were to give us Elmarit- or Elmar-SL lenses, I'd consider the SL again. 

The intent of my previous post wasn't to brag btw.  I just felt it was ironic that I resorted to a medium format system to make my gear smaller and lighter.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

Pretty much what the other two said. I use the X1D as a walkaround camera as well. The problem is that the SL with it's current smallest lens offering (Summicron-SL) is still 405 grams heavier than a X1D + 45.  If Leica were to give us Elmarit- or Elmar-SL lenses, I'd consider the SL again. 

The intent of my previous post wasn't to brag btw.  I just felt it was ironic that I resorted to a medium format system to make my gear smaller and lighter.

totally agree. In fact I was surprised at how well it performs as a walk around camera. And I am amazed at the quality that you get in conjunction with portability and form

The SL is an amazing platform too, but for different purposes.

56 minutes ago, saxo said:

Yes, I agree, the X1d is suited for portrait as well. But already for portrait, the SL is a strong competitor looking at the SL 2/90 or 2/75. I personally do not need 50Mpx for portrait, 24 suits me fine. But some might miss a central shutter. At that point, you may change to the S series instead.

You are right, the new crons are spectacular (but XCD lenses are not too shabby either) let's see what comes out with the SL wides, I am sure they will be at par.

Personally, I would not change to the S, definitely not. For my use I need to be mobile and often I have to force myself to take the SL out. When I do I am delighted with the results of course, but I feel more natural picking up the X1D or an M

Let's see what the SL 2 looks like and alternatively I may get a back-up X1d when the X2d comes out and prices drop

• Like 2

The simple sentence the SL is too big and heavy was never true. And it is even more silly to say that today.

Why ? Because there are now three different lines of lenses that can be used on each of the L-mount cameras. And the lenses are what makes the bulk of the weight.

The heaviest/biggest line is from Sigma. You will agree if you have seen the 1.4/105 or 1.8/135 or 12-24. Most people here obviously have never used these lenses.

Compared to them the Leica SL line is smaller and in the middle.

And Panasonic lenses are currently the most compact line.

And you could even argue that R and M lenses are another even smaller line or even two.

So a user with a little bit of cleverness chooses from all these options what he needs.  

And if this is still too big, he has the freedom to switch to M or CL or Sony or Fuji or or or.    (who cares ...)

23 hours ago, grahamhoey said:

Agree. The lack of Leica SL primes, zooms in my view are too big and heavy, has caused me to get the X1D for anything below 50mm. Hopefully Leica will rectify soon with the promised Summicrons. 

The Summicrons are there and their size is well known.. So what are you expecting ?   🤔