Panasonic S1R body weight

ron777

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I've just taken note of the recently released specs for the Panasonic S1R.  It appears that it is slightly heavier than the SL, the S1R weighing in at 898 grams, Sl at 847 grams.  I will not be replacing my SL anytime soon.

Edited by ron777
  • Like 1

All this agonising over +/- few grams is what exactly? If a bit of extra weight is such a chore there is plenty of choice; CL or M camera, or non Leica/L Alliance mirrorless.

I am looking forward to reading S1R manual and figuring out:-

1. Compatibility with current and legacy Leica lenses.

2. LNER

3. Compatibility of Panasonic zooms with SL.

4. Any other compatibility with SL, maybe battery.

5. Flash system.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mmradman said:

All this agonising over +/- few grams is what exactly? If a bit of extra weight is such a chore there is plenty of choice; CL or M camera, or non Leica/L Alliance mirrorless.

I get your concerns and interests, but that doesn't make my own any less important.  A lot of folks thought the SL was too heavy--witness the near hysteria at the rumor last year of a "C-M"--a shrunken SL. I've twice walked out of Leica boutiques, unable to convince myself that I'd casually use the SL with an L lens, --and this site (and others) is full of people who report that they find themselves leaving their SL at home and grabbing their Q or CL. The Nikon Z7 is 1/3 lighter than the SL/S1R, and I'm now looking at that more seriously (as have other former Leica owners).

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

The new Panasonic 24-105 is significantly smaller and lighter than the SL 24-90, albeit slower (f4). Both with OIS. It will be interesting to see the performance comparison, including degree of weather sealing.

Jeff

Exactly my sentiment over 24-105mm.

Even 24-90 is f4 at long end, f2.8 is quickly lost once lens is zoomed away from the wide end.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, mmradman said:

I am looking forward to reading S1R manual and figuring out:-

1. Compatibility with current and legacy Leica lenses.

2. LNER

3. Compatibility of Panasonic zooms with SL.

4. Any other compatibility with SL, maybe battery.

5. Flash system.

As has been said above, there is no agonizing in play.  But many of us, myself included, had been hoping for a capable, yet lighter body that can accommodate both Leica L and M glass. It appears that the S1 and S1R will not be a good choice from that perspective.  I'm sure that there are other redeeming features that will make them alluring and a must have for some, but for me, while I love the SL and the L glass, my Sony a7rIII with battery grip and 24-70mm G lens attached is much lighter, more compact and frankly, offers more sophistication. Perhaps Leica will rise to the occasion and heed the complaints of many.

Edited by ron777
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ron777 said:

As has been said above, there is no agonizing in play.  But many of us, myself included, had been hoping for a capable, yet lighter body that can accommodate both Leica L and M glass. It appears that the S1 and S1R will not be a good choice from that perspective.  I'm sure that there are other redeeming features that will make them alluring and a must have for some, but for me, while I love the SL and the L glass, my Sony a7rIII with battery grip and 24-70mm G lens attached is much lighter, more compact and frankly, offers more sophistication. Perhaps Leica will rise to the occasion and heed the complaints of many.

By many? Personally I never complained against the size of SL.

I hear you, smaller full frame Leica fitted with built in EVF would be welcome, there is a debate going on on M10 thread about RF Style M camera but without RF.

5 hours ago, mmradman said:

By many? Personally I never complained against the size of SL.

I hear you, smaller full frame Leica fitted with built in EVF would be welcome, there is a debate going on on M10 thread about RF Style M camera but without RF.

+1. The size and weight of the SL is absolutely fine with me. No problem at all. Actually, I find the M-body too small with the larger M-lenses (like 28-Lux, 50-Noct, 90-Cron, etc.). The M-body with the small/'normal' sized lenses is fine, though. But for me and my hands, the size of the SL is perfect (and I don't mind the weight).

• Like 1

Based on leaked full specification sheet S1R comes with controllable long exposure NR! Battery capacity is like twice th capacity of SL. EVF is 5.something mega somthing, with negligible time lag and two refresh rates 120/60 per second, not sure yet at under what circumstances different rates apply.

Leica hybrids such as SL TL and CL will still be the best for M & R lenses.

Because Leica executives already said that M/R Adapters-L will not be fully supported by other L-mount cameras. It will remain a Leica’s monopoly. So no automatic lenses recognition, neither software auto-corrections during exposure. 

M and R lenses support It is not part of the agreement with Panasonic and Sigma. Only L lenses. Leica does not want to die by opening its mount to others. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

Leica hybrids such as SL TL and CL will still be the best for M & R lenses.

Because Leica executives already said that M/R Adapters-L will not be fully supported by other L-mount cameras. It will remain a Leica’s monopoly. So no automatic lenses recognition, neither software auto-corrections during exposure. 

M and R lenses support It is not part of the agreement with Panasonic and Sigma. Only L lenses. Leica does not want to die by opening its mount to others. 

Interesting, as L mount is common to all three brands now does it mean that Panasonic full frame L lenses, as well as future Sigma, will be supported on Leica SL camera(s), via firmware update?  Do we get firmware update from Leica to support Pana/Sigma lenses at some point in observable future? 

My interpretation is that the Firmware to run the L-R and L-M Leica adapters is SL and CL dependent and releasing that was not part of the deal.

Note that the Novoflex AF adapter only works on the SL ...... attach it to a CL and you get a blank screen. 

The L Mount alliance only makes sense if there is lens/body inter compatibility between brands ...... I think I would be mighty p*ssed off if I bought an SR1 and found I couldn't use SL lenses ...... and slightly less p*ssed off if I couldn't use Panasonic/Sigma lenses on an SL.  There must be a generic AF algorithm and data exchange protocols. 

I know there were warnings with the 50/1.4 SL to only use with firmware >3.x or whatever, but no similar stipulations with the 75 & 90 if I recall correctly ..... so quite what the exact relationship is between the body and lens firmware is when used by Leica , I am not entirely clear ......but I have always assumed the updated body firmware makes modifications to the lens firmware to allow it to function more efficiently. If that is the case then sticking any L mount lens on that adheres to the mount protocols should work ok. 

Yes mmradman  all L mount lenses from any vendors will be fully compatible with each others. Only M-Adapter-L and R-adapter-L are excluded from the deal and therefore remains Leica exclusive

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ron777 said:

Hello,

I've just taken note of the recently released specs for the Panasonic S1R.  It appears that it is slightly heavier than the SL, the S1R weighing in at 898 grams, Sl at 847 grams.  I will not be replacing my SL anytime soon.

You are mistaken, it is worst : S1/S1R are more than 1 kg ! crazy. SL seems as light as the CL now. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

S1 is really bigger than SL 

Look how big the Lumix PRO S 50mm is ! crazy

Edited by nicci78
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

You are mistaken, it is worst : S1/S1R are more than 1 kg ! crazy. SL seems as light as the CL now. 

Oh no not again ! We had this endless discussion about weight already in 2015 and 2016. Who cares in the end. The result is what counts.

If people do not like the size, so what ? There are many smaller cameras, choose one of them. What, they do not offer the same features ? Well, your problem .... :lol:

The price is right, the features (ultra high res mode, ibis, no forced LENR, unmatched video capabilities) are great, what do i need more :) ?

Edited by caissa
  • Like 2

I thought DPReview summed it up quite well in their video below (at about 8:27):

"When you look at all the other full frame mirrorless options out there there's always complaints that it's lacking something major, whether it's dual card slots, or IBIS, or high-end EVF, and this is something that packs all of those in and, surprise surprise, when you do all that it turns out the camera is big and the camera is expensive."

I think it's great that the camera that seems to be getting talked about as having fantastic ergonomics and virtually no compromises on features is an L-mount camera.  I think a no-compromises approach has a greater chance of pulling professionals away from Canon/Nikon/Sony and into the L mount ecosystem, which will ultimately be good for Leica.

• Like 3

Do not know why we cannot discuss the weight ? weird not ?

A lighter car with the same motor can go faster right ? A lighter camera can be held longer right ? 

SL was 150-200g more than expected and now S1 is almost 170g more than SL. It is 350g more than Sony A9.

We can be disappointed. Of course you can have more features for the weight etc... blabla but realistically it is not much better than A9 feature wise.

It is even heavier than Canon 5D mark IV or Nikon D850. Sorry but people has expectations, if you ditch the mirror, it has to be somewhat lighter and smaller. Otherwise, why bother ? every mirrorless techs can be incorporated into DSLR except EVF. 

I prefer that manufacturer focus on maximum size and weight acceptable. And not throw everything inside, forcing us to ditch our sport car for an ugly van to haul the camera and its lenses. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I spent too much for cameras and lenses (I have a Leica 😇), so I cannot afford a sports car ....    So I have to use an old family coach, anyway. 😕

I am the one behind the camera, so I do not need to make “la bella figura”.  🤓🤡

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1