Leica m10 or sl ?

Mwei

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/23/2019 at 8:27 PM, Mwei said:

I do mostly travel, recreational with family,  street shot

Given this, plus autofocus, in your shoes I would choose the CL, not SL - light, compact, discreet, IQ (for these subjects) certainly as good as the M and SL. I have had film and digital Ms, and I now have the CL and SL, and I would never consider the SL for your proposed uses - too heavy to carry for long periods, too bulky for travel, and too large and obvious for street. IMO the CL is the true digital inheritor of the Leica film M mantle.

I'm sure you'll get contrary opinions!

As to whether the SL is a good camera...yes, it is superb as an image-taking machine, as are its lenses. But that doesn't stop it being large and heavy compared to the M.

Edited by LocalHero1953

In the case that you need AF from times to times but not all the time and you love the M experience but you can afford only an M or an SL but not both then for my brain it is clear: You need the SL.

I have many situations where I need AF and in the beginning of my M experience I thought that I could sell all may Canon gear. But that was wrong and still in approx 50% of my needs I use Canon 5D Mk IV and III. I have 11 lenses for it but recently I use mainly 50mm 1.4 and 135mm 2.0. Transmitted to your case (who evaluates Leica against Leica) you need the SL. If I had only one it would be the Canon.

But in your case you got already your M camera if I understood well.  Then you have to do everything manually. There are many people who do exactly that.

On 12/21/2019 at 12:32 PM, Mwei said:

Im so sorry for the too late response because I was new and didn't check the box with" notify me of reply " so I missed all of the replies. 

Very appreciate all the replies from members!

At the end I bought a m240 with a  summicron 35 ,75 and noctilux 50/0.95.

Since then because of my health issue  I didn't have enough time to practice.  But I can tell it is is a fantastic camera system even you need some time to learn it. In the feature I hope can come back sooner!!

Again thank you all for the replies!!

Mike 

You made an excellent choice.  The M240 is not Leica's latest and greatest - but it is still a formidable camera.  It is more than capable of doing about anything photographically that does not require long telephoto lenses and doing it well.  Your three lenses will cover a lot of photographic territory, too.

2 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

You made an excellent choice.  The M240 is not Leica's latest and greatest - but it is still a formidable camera.  It is more than capable of doing about anything photographically that does not require long telephoto lenses and doing it well.  Your three lenses will cover a lot of photographic territory, too.

Hi Herr, thank you for your comment , because that's my first leica camera I think it's more than enough for me  to play around, in the feature I may purchase a newer model .

Thanks 

3 hours ago, M10 for me said:

In the case that you need AF from times to times but not all the time and you love the M experience but you can afford only an M or an SL but not both then for my brain it is clear: You need the SL.

I have many situations where I need AF and in the beginning of my M experience I thought that I could sell all may Canon gear. But that was wrong and still in approx 50% of my needs I use Canon 5D Mk IV and III. I have 11 lenses for it but recently I use mainly 50mm 1.4 and 135mm 2.0. Transmitted to your case (who evaluates Leica against Leica) you need the SL. If I had only one it would be the Canon.

But in your case you got already your M camera if I understood well.  Then you have to do everything manually. There are many people who do exactly that.

Thank you m10 for your  comments ! I thought about to get the canon back if the have a pro  mirrorless camera come out . But I'll see what happened..like other members mentioned the leica cl is a good choice too!

Thanks 

5 hours ago, Artin said:

I tend to disagree on bases of all your M lenses are pretty much limited , you loose the wide angle , you loose the shallow DOF, which is the main reason why someone would invest in M lenses . As for the Sl on street photography? You can see my post on the street photo section . 4 hours of streets in Toronto at -20 degrees it was a pleasure and I used nothing But a WATE.  AND A MATE . with M lenses it is light and very discreet , and a breeze. To focus .  And then you will discover how amazing it actually is with R lenses... the choice of relatively affordable L alliance lenses .. which incidentally took the SL platform from being a nice toy for the well off to a serious contender in the field of professional system 

Honestly I like to have a high mpx camera that's why it's hard to make my decision now.  The Q2 is good too but too expensive for me at this moment! I may wait couple of  years to get it if I really need a high mpx one!

Thanks 

9 hours ago, Artin said:

I tend to disagree on bases of all your M lenses are pretty much limited , you loose the wide angle , you loose the shallow DOF, which is the main reason why someone would invest in M lenses . As for the Sl on street photography? You can see my post on the street photo section . 4 hours of streets in Toronto at -20 degrees it was a pleasure and I used nothing But a WATE.  AND A MATE . with M lenses it is light and very discreet , and a breeze. To focus .  And then you will discover how amazing it actually is with R lenses... the choice of relatively affordable L alliance lenses .. which incidentally took the SL platform from being a nice toy for the well off to a serious contender in the field of professional system 

Well, I wrote about what I would choose, which is the only way I can offer advice in these cases. I tried the SL as a street camera when I first got it, and decided that pleasure and comfort in use over long periods came (for me) before its technical abilities: I returned to the M240 till the CL came along.

Yes, I've seen your photos, and while certainly not intending to be critical, I would say most of them do not rely on capturing the behaviour of people on the street where the photographer might influence their behaviour - I was referring to my wish to stay discreet or unintimidating and yet get close to people and win their confidence - for this I would rather have a small camera.

I can suggest a few other reasons than shallow DoF as good reasons for choosing M lenses (size, weight). I'd still rather have AF!
I don't need wider than the 11mm on the CL wide zoom; like extra shallow Dof, I find ultrawide angle is best used occasionally rather than all the time.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Artin said:

Paul what you have seen is about a dozen of my pictures, that I have posted on this site. You have not seen my photography. 

I am not a street photographer by any stretch, however with my experience in the past 40+ years I can tell you that an APSC format can never replace nor perform as well as full frame . You are simply cropping an image that’s all nothing more nothing less. Just like the 35mm can not replace a medium format, and a medium format can replace a large format. 

What the SL .. or any full frame camera for that matter is the good compromise with the best flexibility. And a CL with a couple of lenses is still a 10,000 +. Investment in a cropped sensor, it’s just not for me 

Well, you referred me to your photography on this forum, which is what I commented on - you might wish to add a link to your wider photography as your forum signature - it's always interesting to see members' work.

I can't argue with what you say and have no wish to do so - it works for you. What I expressed was my opinion, for my practice, and what I would do in the OP's shoes. The OP can do what he likes with this info! 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I bought the SL with the intention to use it with just the M lenses. After reading all the positive reviews about the 24-90mm SL lens I bought one. It is so good that I now have the 16-35 and 90-280, plus the 50mm Summilux for low light. I travel the world with just the SL and three zooms in a Billingham backpack and that covers everything I need. This is 'my travel kit' as when I'm at home, in the UK, I mainly use the M10 and M9M. I feel in the UK there is always the chance of visiting somewhere again if I'm not happy with the results.

Whereas, if I'm paying significant money to travel I want the best chance of good results, as I may never visit that place again and am happy to put up with the weight to use SL system. (BTW, I'm no spring chicken or muscle freak but an elderly gent in his early seventies.)

Cheers

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Rucksack 25?  If so, any chance of a pic to see how you pack it?  

Thanks, 

Jeff

There you go.

You'll see that I take the CL body, this is just for backup purposes. Also I don't always take the Summilux 50 unless I know there's going to be some low light requirement. Not sure which model of backpack this is, will post a photo of the outside.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lanetomlane
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks, that’s the Rucksack 25.  It was introduced as a 25th anniversary model, then brought back into production by popular demand.  I just bought one for my new SL2 kit, which is still awaiting some pieces.  I was curious how you configured things, having envisioned the long zoom taking up the center section.  This seems a more efficient use of space. Amazing what can fit in such a compact bag.  Probably more weight fully loaded than I’d want without a waist strap, but good to know the potential (let alone the front pocket space). 

Thanks again.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

You're welcome Jeff. Under the 90-280 I pack the battery chargers (separated by one of these velcro soft padded partitions) and these's plenty of room left for 'bits and bobs'. We always rent a car wherever we go and so after the flight the backpack mainly stays in the car and then I take the camera and whatever lens I think I may need in a pocket.

I wouldn't like to hike miles with the backpack but it's certainly served me well over the last three years or so.

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
vor 25 Minuten schrieb Ivan Pastoukhov:

M10 or SL2  - you need both for different uses with appropriate lenses. The quality is the same. As well Monochrome. The only deception are the batteries of SL - 300 shots, if ever...

Well, if you can have only one which should be your workhorse then buy the SL and not the M. The M is a beauty for leisure. Some few do weddings with it. I could not do that.