Canon lenses on SL

Flyer

34 minutes ago, Flyer said:

I had an SL in early 2017 and attempted to use Canon/Simga glass but got very inconsistent results, wouldn't focus and locked up etc. 

Has there been any firmware to help resolve this? 

Or is the only option still the Leica 24-90?

Thanks

Flyer

1. No. My interpretation of how it works is that the Novoflex adapter has some generic 'average' firmware that allows AF  to work with 'average' Nikon E and Canon lenses. SL firmware updates only affect the AF processing/function in SL lenses and the SL body and I suspect has minimal effect on the Novoflex adapter. Unless Novoflex do something to the adapter you are stuck with it. Even then unless it has a look-up table for appropriate parameters for all the possible lenses used on it so it can alter the functionality I cannot see how it could work perfectly with all non-SL lenses anyway. 

2. There ARE lenses that work well ..... I've heard no reports of the new Nikon E lenses causing issues ...... but that leaves you with a very limited choice. Sigma is very hit and miss. A selection of Panasonic lenses are on the way ..... and I would be surprised if they don't work well...... particularly as I suspect Panasonic had a significant part in the AF design/components of the current SL lenses.

For Canon lenses, a few that are working well are well known - e.g. 11-24, tilt-shift lenses and a few more - that’s it. For Sigma lenses with eos mount, waiting for the L-mount version is the best bet. Also Sigma and maybe Panasonic too will offer a new adapter, which hopefully works more consistently.

13 hours ago, oudjunk said:

I have used sigma lenses and canon lenses on SL with Novoflex adapter. For me canon lenses work well with adapter but sigma lenses did not. It took time to focus.

Sigma has stated that they will release L-Mount adapters for EOS and Sigma (SD-mount) lenses. Those adapters will probably work very well with recent Sigma lenses.

8 hours ago, BernardC said:

Sigma has stated that they will release L-Mount adapters for EOS and Sigma (SD-mount) lenses. Those adapters will probably work very well with recent Sigma lenses.

That is good news because sigma lenses produce the sharp image and i'm interested the 105 f1.4 :) 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/30/2019 at 7:24 PM, BernardC said:

Sigma will also offer a mount conversion service once the L-Mount lenses are launched. I plan to convert my  Art 1.4/85mm from Canon to L-Mount. Optically, this lens is hugely impressive, but the autofocus leaves a lot to be desired.  

48 minutes ago, Flyer said:

Is there anything in the 24-70 range that works, either prime or Zoom

Flyer

I don't know about earlier versions, but the 2,8/24-70mm II doesn't work when on AF. No problem with MF.

14 hours ago, Flyer said:

Is there anything in the 24-70 range that works, either prime or Zoom

Flyer

The Sigma Art zoom  2.0/24-35 works quite nicely (in eos mount). IQ is really extraordinary, but the range is limited (equal to 3 excellent primes, 24, 28, 35).
IQ is so good that you can use it instead of 50mm as well (with a small crop). It's maybe the best lens I have on EOS cameras.
But AF on the SL is not always consistent (needs a restart from time to time). If I could I would wait for the L-mount version. (Or get the mount exchanged if available).

Edited by caissa

As well as some Canon lenses work during daylight conditions, as soon as the light goes away, they start causing trouble. I experienced increased hunting and misfocussing, way worse than on a Canon body under similar conditions. Slower focussing action also causes higher battery drain.

Canon lenses can still be useful, especially the latest zooms provide excellent sharpness, but you have to be aware that combining cameras with lenses, built for a different brand, will always be a compromise and not a perfect solution.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:36 PM, Ivar B said:

Sigma will also offer a mount conversion service once the L-Mount lenses are launched. I plan to convert my  Art 1.4/85mm from Canon to L-Mount. Optically, this lens is hugely impressive, but the autofocus leaves a lot to be desired.  

Yes I'd like one of those. I used to have one on a Nikon and loved it. I've only ever had a mechanical converter for the SL, so the Sigma had to go. I had the Sigma 35 too which was also brilliant. But that's definitely  no better rendition Leica than a Leica 24-90, which I have. Of course by the time it's at 85mm the Leica 24-90 is at f4. If would be great to get that Sigma 85 1.4 for portraits.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, scroy said:

Following up on the topic, does anyone know when Novoflex plans to make an adaptor for the new Canon mirrorless lenses to the L-mount?

The adaptor might be easier at least on the mechanical end vs the EF lenses.

Novoflex have shown not the slightest interest in re-visiting the Canon and Nikon AF adapters that were clearly designed in collaboration with Leica before the SL was even released.

The fact they both work rather poorly suggests to me that it is not easy to make an adapter that is 'universal' with regard to the SL .....and if they have any sense they will just leave things as they are. With a lot of Sigma and Panasonic L mount 100% compatible lenses on the horizon I doubt it they would view an additional Canon AF adapter for new lenses as an economic proposition either. They may prove me wrong ..... but I doubt it. 

12 hours ago, thighslapper said:

Novoflex have shown not the slightest interest in re-visiting the Canon and Nikon AF adapters that were clearly designed in collaboration with Leica before the SL was even released.

The fact they both work rather poorly suggests to me that it is not easy to make an adapter that is 'universal' with regard to the SL .....and if they have any sense they will just leave things as they are. With a lot of Sigma and Panasonic L mount 100% compatible lenses on the horizon I doubt it they would view an additional Canon AF adapter for new lenses as an economic proposition either. They may prove me wrong ..... but I doubt it. 

It is a pity, but as a business decision, it makes sense with Panasonic and Sigma as L-alliance partners. I was hoping that Canon might update their Tilt-Shift lenses and it would be available for the SL.

• 2 weeks later...