Erwin Puts 'Leica Pocket Guide 1953-2018'

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just received two copies (one reserved for a friend) of the recently published Erwin Puts', 'Leica Pocket Guide 1953-2018'.  

It really is 'pocketable' (15cm x 10.5cm x 1.65cm … 278 pages … 300g) - whereas the Hove 'Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition' isn't (19.5cm x 10.5cm x 2.4cm  … 336 pages … 600g)  … unless you have very large pockets :) .

Initial impression: Very useful and readable book … ideal for long train journeys … and commence reading any section which takes your fancy.

Soft covers are a little flimsy but reinforced mine with self-adhesive book covering material. 

17 page Leica History TimeLine comprising mainly 'one liners,' commences in year 1342 (camera obscura … maybe Petrous of Alexandria was related to Oscar Barnack?) … but nevertheless a good read and full of interesting facts including 19th C. Leitz microscope production, introduction dates of significant Leica cameras /lenses … and Leica 'top brass' names / appointment dates (including Messrs. Stefan Daniel, Peter Karbe, and Dr Andreas Kaufmann … referred to as Mr Kaufmann).  

30 pages of general photographic technical data covering e.g., Zone System and Digital Zone System, Reflection Table, Exposure and tonal reproduction definitions, EV values/definitions, digital signal processing /tone mapping, and ISO settings in relation to sensors' true sensitivities and electronic amplification. 

200 pages includIng double page matrices cover individual Leica camera and lens models/types & dates introduced & numbers manufactured … and brief specifications plus photographs including schematic lens illustrations. 

All in all a wealth of information.

Bought mine from Camera Books (Petra Kellers) in USA where was slightly cheaper to buy TWO … by splitting shipping cost between two buyers … instead of buying from Europe.

Books arrived in UK within 7 days. $72.85 for two = approx £57 or £30 ish each. 

Recommended good reading!! 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo
  • Like 1

Hi dunk

How do Puts and Hove compare to Laney ( Collectors Guide), which is my bible...and definitely not pocketable 😁?

I don't  mind Puts' dry pedantry, so am wondering on coverage and various discussion.  

all best...

Edited by david strachan

Dave, Cannot really compare them … they're each different and useful in their own ways … but Puts' briefer résumé is the more current as regards camera and lens data … and has interesting snippets of info. not available elsewhere. Laney's editions cover so much more including accessories and are profusely illustrated … and The Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition is more useful for MTF charts and good quality photos on every page - but they're years out of date as regards recent lenses and cameras. I still grab my Laney 1st edition because being smaller than the 2nd edition, it's easier to handle/access … but being relatively old (1992!!) it's too limited.  

The books compliment each other. 

The Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition is currently being revised to eventually produce the 9th Edition (probably by Nobby Clarke and Brian Bower who also revised / edited the 8th Edition) but revision is likely a major task and no indication so far as to when it will be ready. Meantime Ivor Cooper (Red Dot Cameras/ Red Dot Photo Books) publishes the 8th Edition 2018 reprint. Five years ago I attended a presentation by Nobby Clarke and Brian Bower when they each spoke about the difficulties involved in thoroughly revising the 7th Edition … to eventually enable publication of the 8th Edition. 

The Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition will likely continue to be my prime reference for the lenses it covers. But I also refer to E. Puts', 'Leica Lens Compendium' … and James Lager's 'trilogies'. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

This new book only covers cameras and lenses from 1953 onwards. My main interest is in cameras and lenses from before that date, which are covered in the 'Pocket Book', Laney etc, etc. Also I do not find the recent digital models that interesting for research purposes (even though I have quite a few of them) and the information on them is easy to find. I would consider getting the Puts book as a digital download. Indeed, all Leica reference books from now on should be downloads that can be looked up on a smartphone. Leica research needs to move with the times.

William

• Like 2

Nice to have, and I realy like the covers, but unfortunately the book has several factual errors, apart from the usual Erwin typo's, which diminishes its long term use. For example production of the M10 did not start in 2014.

They are available direct from Erwin's website.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, pedaes said:

Nice to have, and I realy like the covers, but unfortunately the book has several factual errors, apart from the usual Erwin typo's, which diminishes its long term use. For example production of the M10 did not start in 2014.

They are available direct from Erwin's website.

^^^ €42.50 direct from E Puts inc. worldwide shipping … which is why bought mine for less from USA

dunk 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

^^^ €42.50 direct from E Puts inc. worldwide shipping … which is why bought mine for less from USA

dunk 

Forgot they were that much - have to say not sure they are worth it with so many inaccuracies. Perhaps the later e-book version will be better value, but makes notion of 'pocket book' a bit of a oxymoron.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 6:03 PM, pedaes said:

For example production of the M10 did not start in 2014.

I just bought it, from Leica Store (about 25$ English).

Very handy (and portable).

For the M10 it says 2016, page 227......

What I miss is the Q lens info: differences (shutter?) with other lenses.

For the M10 it also says 2014 on page 53. In 20 years time you will have to refer to another source to find correct date.

Sorry Erwin, but I do not think it should have multiple  errors at the price charged.

1 hour ago, LexS said:

For the M10 it says 2016, page 227......

• 2 years later...