Maybe the dumbest question ever asked in this forum???

MCJ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Someone posted something in this thread (which I got a notice of) but don’t see here.  Nevertheless, the poster pointed out that my protective ring is likely stuck inside my lens cap, which is why (a) I think my lens cap has threads when it apparently shouldn’t and (b) the lens cap acts like a screw on lens cap in terms of getting it on and off. Essentially, the lens cap is riding shotgun on top of the protective ring.  It also explains why I had no clue what everyone was talking about when referring to the “protective ring” or “thread protector”.  Seems like that must be the correct answer!  Thank you, mystery poster!

• Like 1

This thread is an illustration of the advantages of buying locally--if at all possible. Or at least from a licensed Leica dealer whom you can call for help. I don't know how/where you got your Q, MCJ, but if it's somewhere/from someone you know, you should be on the phone. I waited a couple of extra days to get mine locally (they had to bring one in) rather than buy on-line, and I can't tell you how many times I called them with really stupid questions which they were only too happy to answer.

I recognize that that's not always possible, but just saying it's a consideration with something so expensive. We pay an awful lot and should expect to get great service.

Edited by bags27

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

This thread is an illustration of the advantages of buying locally--if at all possible. Or at least from a licensed Leica dealer whom you can call for help. I don't know how/where you got your Q, MCJ, but if it's somewhere/from someone you know, you should be on the phone. I waited a couple of extra days to get mine locally (they had to bring one in) rather than buy on-line, and I can't tell you how many times I called them with really stupid questions which they were only too happy to answer.

I recognize that that's not always possible, but just saying it's a consideration with something so expensive. We pay an awful lot and should expect to get great service.

Disagree!   I bought my Leica from a local store, not online, and there is no way walking into that store that I can get all of the viewpoints and information I can so easily and quickly get in this forum.  Furthermore, my computer is WAY closer than the store, so asking my question and then waiting for answers is much more efficient.  Isnt that that the whole point of these forums?

18 minutes ago, MCJ said:

Disagree!   I bought my Leica from a local store, not online, and there is no way walking into that store that I can get all of the viewpoints and information I can so easily and quickly get in this forum.  Furthermore, my computer is WAY closer than the store, so asking my question and then waiting for answers is much more efficient.  Isnt that that the whole point of these forums?

Well, sure, you can get a lot of amazing info here. I've been here a year and look how many posts I've had. I've made good friends and have received lots and lots of help. And I was the one who tried to help you at the start by posting a video (though I didn't realize it might be out of date).

But here you are with nearly a $5k piece of equipment and you're clearly (and rightly!) nervous about damaging it. You don't need "viewpoints", as you say, to take off the lens cap. You just need someone to show you. I get that you want the quickest help so that you can mess around immediately with your amazing camera and posting here might give that to you.

I'm just saying that hanging with the people who sold you the camera can also be a big help, especially with something mechanical. I live 60 miles from my Leica store, but, when I go to Boston, I usually bring my camera and hang with the salesfolk for a bit. They let me play with other equipment and give me pointers about a whole range of stuff about my camera (like the time I panicked because I thought I had permanently put the camera in video mode--I called my salesman and he walked me through it--after walking me off the ledge 😀).

I'm just trying to help, which, as you say, is the point of the forum, but it's really up to you.

10 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Well, sure, you can get a lot of amazing info here. I've been here a year and look how many posts I've had. I've made good friends and have received lots and lots of help. And I was the one who tried to help you at the start by posting a video (though I didn't realize it might be out of date).

But here you are with nearly a $5k piece of equipment and you're clearly (and rightly!) nervous about damaging it. You don't need "viewpoints", as you say, to take off the lens cap. You just need someone to show you. I get that you want the quickest help so that you can mess around immediately with your amazing camera and posting here might give that to you.

I'm just saying that hanging with the people who sold you the camera can also be a big help, especially with something mechanical. I live 60 miles from my Leica store, but, when I go to Boston, I usually bring my camera and hang with the salesfolk for a bit. They let me play with other equipment and give me pointers about a whole range of stuff about my camera (like the time I panicked because I thought I had permanently put the camera in video mode--I called my salesman and he walked me through it--after walking me off the ledge 😀).

I'm just trying to help, which, as you say, is the point of the forum, but it's really up to you.

Bags27, I’m truly sorry if I came across as unappreciative or critical.  Looking at what I wrote, I can see why you might read it that way.  That wasn’t my intention.  I think this forum is great is what I was mainly trying to say, but your point was also well taken about talking to the people who actually sold me the camera.   This thread sure has spilled a lot of ink over my lens cap!  Thanks very much for your thoughts.   Truly appreciated.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Bags27, I’m truly sorry if I came across as unappreciative or critical.  Looking at what I wrote, I can see why you might read it that way.  That wasn’t my intention.  I think this forum is great is what I was mainly trying to say, but your point was also well taken about talking to the people who actually sold me the camera.   This thread sure has spilled a lot of ink over my lens cap!  Thanks very much for your thoughts.   Truly appreciated.  

I'm glad that there isn't a Leica store near me. It would be too tempting to hang out there and see all the nice things to put on my wish list.  One of the advantages to living out in the sticks I suppose.

As for stupid questions, well there really isn't such a thing. This forum has answered most questions I've had and didn't even require my asking.  I try to spend a little  time reading the older posts from back when the camera first came out and it was new to everyone.  Lots of good information shared and features discussed that I didn't realize the camera had.

On 1/31/2019 at 2:41 PM, MCJ said:

Thank you, mystery poster!

You are welcome.  My post was deleted because I included a picture of the four parts (camera, protective ring, lens hood, and lens cap) that did not belong to me, but was copied from another web site.  Mea Culpa.   I assumed the post would have been edited to remove the image.  I guess removing the entire post was easier for the moderators.

• Surely, in the video posted above, the man is removing the "trim piece" at the end of the lens barrel as well as the cap in one action; this would not be normal in ongoing use. Ordinarily one would either have the trim piece fitted (and no lens hood), or just the lens hood.
  • Like 1