Maybe the dumbest question ever asked in this forum???

MCJ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just received and opened my new Q-P.  I can’t figure out how to remove the lens cap.  Seriously.  I turn it one way and it stops and when I turn it the other way it sounds like a plastic gear grinding.  Don’t want to keep turning it unless someone tells me that is normal.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 minutes ago, hcbrelb said:

I think there may be some confusion over words here; the lens "protector" (with "squared off" end) screws on, but the lens cap (with fabric liner) pushes on.

Figured it out.  There is a small amount of threading inside the lens cap so if you push it on and then turn, you are actually screwing it on.  So you can push it on and pull it off without turning as long as you don’t screw it one.  If you screw it on, you have to unthread it first by twisting and then pull it off.  This is on the Leica Q-P.  Not sure about the Q.  

Edited by MCJ
  • Like 1

Based n the video there must have been a recent change in design.  My older Q (bought in December 2017) has a push-on lens cap, the inner rim of which has felt to provide friction to hold it in place either directly on the lens, or on the lens hood.  Over time that the felt wears and it becomes easy to knock off the cap.  I'm on my second cap and I have a spare third one that I'll no doubt need before long.  I suspect the newer caps screw in, at least to the lens.  I wonder if there are outer threads on the lens hood for the newer cap to screw into.

The threads are deep in the lens cap and are very small.   They grab on to the same threads as the hood.  The felt is still there which (since mine is new) provides a very tight fit and is why I couldn’t understand how to remove it after unscrewing it.  It was so tight it felt like an inappropriate amount of force to pull it off.  Or maybe I was just being too ginger with my beautiful new toy.  

1 hour ago, MCJ said:

The threads are deep in the lens cap and are very small.   They grab on to the same threads as the hood.  The felt is still there which (since mine is new) provides a very tight fit and is why I couldn’t understand how to remove it after unscrewing it.  It was so tight it felt like an inappropriate amount of force to pull it off.  Or maybe I was just being too ginger with my beautiful new toy.  

Those threads in your cap are actually the protective trim ring that fits on the exterior lens threads. Somewhat necessary for people that don't wish to use the lens hood. Yours is just tightly stuck in the lens cap. If you remove it you will find that you can also use the cap over the end of the hood when it's attached to the lens.  My lens cap also fit snuggly and required pulling alternately from side to side to work it off.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

Those threads in your cap are actually the protective trim ring that fits on the exterior lens threads. Somewhat necessary for people that don't wish to use the lens hood. Yours is just tightly stuck in the lens cap. If you remove it you will find that you can also use the cap over the end of the hood when it's attached to the lens.  My lens cap also fit snuggly and required pulling alternately from side to side to work it off.

You may well be right, but I must tell you that when I turn the cap to the right it feels like it’s threading and actually reaches a point where it will no longer turn, like it got to the end of the thread.  Does not happen when I turn it left.  Your experience is with a Q or Q-P?  Wondering if they changed the lens cap when they manufactured the Q-P?

2 hours ago, stuny said:

Based n the video there must have been a recent change in design.  My older Q (bought in December 2017) has a push-on lens cap, the inner rim of which has felt to provide friction to hold it in place either directly on the lens, or on the lens hood

I have a brandnew Q, no thread inside the lens cap, nothing, just the felt.

32 minutes ago, MCJ said:

You may well be right, but I must tell you that when I turn the cap to the right it feels like it’s threading and actually reaches a point where it will no longer turn, like it got to the end of the thread.  Does not happen when I turn it left.  Your experience is with a Q or Q-P?  Wondering if they changed the lens cap when they manufactured the Q-P?

It will be like that because the trim ring is threaded and you are reattaching it to the lens.  Removing the cap with the trim ring is a suggested method to use "if" the trim ring cannot be easily unscrewed by hand. I had to do that to loosen mine from the lens initially.

They may have very well changed something on the QP since there have been many people lose their lens caps and there is nothing wrong with the method you are using. The only possible drawback I see is that if the trim ring is stuck inside the cap and you try to use it over the lens hood, it may not seat fully. (provided your lens hood isn't threaded on front due to possible QP revision) Also, it may scratch the front of the hood if you use it with the ring inside.

Personally, I stored my trim ring and lens cap back inside the pretty Leica box for safe keeping. Then purchased one of those inexpensive op/tech soft covers that fit over the hood and about 2/3 of the lens.

• Like 1

I don't have years of experience with the Q. After I successfully unscrewed the "thread protector" small ring from the lens, I could screw on the lens hood, it is still there, to never go off. The thread protector is in the camera box again.

I don't use and don't like a UV filter for protection. Not necessary, the hood is sturdy enough (and I am always careful in the rain). Over that I use the gliding (inside felt) lens cap, but I think that that will come off soon, then it goes into the camera box also for good. If I see ever a need for a cover, I will search for one (easy enough on this forum), but I don't think that will be soon...

A happy user amateur.