The "Leica Look" is real!

budjames

1 hour ago, Dirk Mandeville said:

No, Jeff, sorry I didn’t. The debate in this thread is enough for me. I may get to that one when I have the time or desire. 

It concerns Irakly’s article.  And it doesn’t take much longer to read than a couple of your posts here (especially if you’ve already bothered to read Irakly’s article, which is the topic and first post in the thread I linked).  Incidentally, some of the participants in the discussion are also members here.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

I didn't see the getdpi thread when it occurred, since it was posted in a bull-session section that I never notice.  It had one valid comment (MaggieO:  "humph, I can't stand to look at such horrible pictures, which objectify women), which was largely ignored.  Other discussion was divided between those who were happy to see examples of the specific optical effects that are usually cited as parts of the "Look," and those who tend to rise in high dudgeon when other experts dare to crowd the stage.  The thread quickly diverted away to discuss the Lancia Fulvia and ended in "navel-gazing hooey,"

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Yes, it's always good to see someone prepared to back up their statements with examples and scientific rationale.

😉

So where's the link to where someone has actually done so?

To be fair, even if there is no objectively definable "Leica Look", each and every participant in this thread has spent thousands or tens of thousands on Leica lenses. We cannot all be that gullible ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

exactly.

By the way: My photographs with the M10 still look much better than the ones with my Canon Pro gear. Why would I use Leica for well over 90% of my shots with the M10? Yes there are more than 1 reason. First the portability. . .

Edited by Alex U.

8 minutes ago, jaapv said:

To be fair, even if there is no objectively definable "Leica Look", each and every participant in this thread has spent thousands or tens of thousands on Leica lenses.

If Leica had large red price tags on a string we could leave on to give a real Leica look.

Like Minnie Perl.

4 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Irakly gave examples and a rationale. One can argue about whether he's done it well enough, but at least he is not saying 'this is real - but it's only my subjective opinion'.

Well, the same 'rationale' could be equally well applied to lenses from many other manufacturers. Illustrating that you get certain effects from specific lenses under certain lighting condition shows just that but proves absolutely nothing because there are no 'controls'. Many lenses share the same design parameters as Leica's - to 'prove' a Leica look you would have to show that it could not be made by any other lenses. I hardly class his assertions as 'scientific' and they show no 'proof', they merely illustrate what a number of lenses do in a certain set of circumstances.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jaapv said:

To be fair, even if there is no objectively definable "Leica Look", each and every participant in this thread has spent thousands or tens of thousands on Leica lenses. We cannot all be that gullible ;)

They ARE (or were when new) good lenses, that is not in any doubt.

• Like 1

The Leica Look is...

"Leica Glow" - except when it isn't

"A kind of color rendering" - except when it isn't

"A kind of contrast" - except when it isn't

About the time I was messing with Contax-G's, prior to switching to Leica, another photographer who used both Nikon SLR and Leica M was considering some particular Nikon lens. And decided not to get it.

"Not enough contrast?" I asked.

"Oh, it has plenty of contrast," he replied. "It's just in all the wrong places!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bottom line is that Leica lenses are incredibly capable, can be used to extraordinarily good effect and current versions are exceptionally well corrected. So why does it matter whether they have a 'look' anyway? They enable photographers to take outstanding photos. Isn't that enough?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know I'm responding to a thread in the M10 section of the forum, but the idea of a Leica look is prevalent throughout the years and mediums. 

Talking purely from a technical perspective, the rendering of images will differ between different film emulsions, being shot with the same lens. Will one be able to distinguish the Leica look between let's say a Leica and a Minolta both shot on Portra 400 or a Superia 400 with a 28mm f2.8? Or will that Leica look only manifest itself when shot on a Velvia 50 or Ektachrome? The MTF charts don't show other optical characteristics like aberrations, but it shows that the Leica look ought to have different interpretations for different mediums. 

If that's the case, is there really a "Leica look"

Leica look on film won't translate to digital because on film, at the higher spacial frequencies, they tend to get muddled. And if the Leica look is the so called "micro contrast" seen in digital, it won't manifest itself as distinctively on film.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pgk said:

Bottom line is that Leica lenses are incredibly capable, can be used to extraordinarily good effect and current versions are exceptionally well corrected. So why does it matter whether they have a 'look' anyway? They enable photographers to take outstanding photos. Isn't that enough?

I think 'the look' is another manifestation of 'the magic bullet syndrome', a common human fallacy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

To be fair, this has already been pointed out and answered. In my case it's not because I am asking for an example of "The Leica Look" that I don't find my Leica lenses fantastic.  I don't get the correlation!?