2 x APO Extender-R ROM or non-ROM?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Other than transmission of lens data is there any optical advantage in buying the later 11269 ROM 2X converter rather than the earlier non-ROM 2X 11262? There is a considerable difference in prices asked for the two models of APO extender. I want it to use with my 80-200/f4 ROM Vario-Elmar-R. As I would never be using this combo with a flash, electronic transmission of lens focal length is of no advantage so the only benefit that would seem to accrue from the ROM version, is the display of corrected aperture numbers in the viewfinder. As I can easily add 2 stops mentally to whatever aperture I have set, I could happily live without this. 

Wilson

Wilson, I take your point, even though I've got the ROM version, and, personally, I do find the display of correct effective aperture very useful, especially with variable aperture zooms, which you might get in the future. The other thing about ROM lenses is that information on the aperture dynamics of the actual individual lens sample has been measured and programmed into the ROM chip for transmission to the camera. (No doubt this is at the fine tweaking level though!) Presumably this would be passed through to the camera by the ROM Extender's on board microprocessor. Speaking purely personally I'd pay the extra and get the ROM version.

• Thanks 1

Future lenses specifically for the R-? Not very likely.

I must confess that my film cameras that would benefit from  ROM rest in peace. I do, very rarely, load a film in my R8 but the R9 remains in storage. When my 100mm, the last zooms (and the excellent 180mm) are used on (non Leitz) digital cameras, the apoextender is occasionally used, but its ROM contacts remain useless. If you need to double,  rather than to get a long enough lens, the ROM version does not seem to serve any useful purpose.

p.

• 3 weeks later...

My non-ROM APO extender arrived today from Dr Merkt (Toms-Cameras). It is in very nice condition. However when I tried to mount any of my three ROM lenses they would not mount. I traced the problem to the auto-aperture control cam. The lever for this on the lens side, is slightly thicker than the lever on my R9. However, I have found a work around (Phew!!). If you hold the auto-aperture lever on the camera side of the extender against its very light spring, then the lenses mount perfectly. You can then let the cam snap back to its normal rest position, once the lens is mounted on the extender. I was concerned that auto aperture would then not work properly but it seems to when I pull the aperture preview lever on the front of the R9, so I assume it is also working when taking a photo. Using the APO extender on my 80-200/4 Vario Elmar R with an R adapter L on my CL, it is noticeable that like all extenders, it seems to lower contrast and focus peaking is limited. 

Wilson

Wilson, just to confirm, you do mount the extender on the camera body before mounting the lens on the extender. (Which is what one is supposed to do according to Leica - this moves the lever out of the way for you, but your workaround is a perfectly good alternative.) The other point to bear in mind is that manual and aperture priority modes are recommended, but not automatic and shutter priority. ( I think this is because it's OK to ask the combination to shut the aperture right down to the hard stop of the pre-set level on the lens, but it's asking too much to get it to shut the aperture down dynamically to a level that's not a hard stop, if you see what I mean.)

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

John, 

I very rarely use anything other than aperture priority or manual anyway, so not a problem for me. The problem I had with mounting was when I was using the R adapter L, which does not move the auto aperture lever out of the way, as there is no auto aperture with this adapter. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1