Non Leica Flash on CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been working with the CL for a couple of months. I decided today to see how it worked with my old Metz CT45. Love this flash, very accurate exposure with the thyristor control, also has a lot of pop for the weight. Using it on the CL the viewfinder goes dark, I know it adjusts to shutter speed fstop so it isn't expecting the the extra light. If I open the lens wide I can focus, then stop down, but this gets old very quickly. Is there a setting that will let the viewfinder expect a non Leica flash? The one problem I see with the electronic viewfinder. 

Thanks

Tom

Responding to the thread title rather than the actual question (apologies to the OP), can someone recommend a tiny fill-in hotshoe flash for the CL/TL2? Suitable for indoor social moments when you're otherwise opening too wide, shooting too slow, or pushing up against the high ISO noise limits. Something equivalent to the popup flash on the original T? Must have M and A modes. Flat face and red eye syndromes accepted!

Get a used SF24D. It has a few advantages: compact and light, reasonably powerful, uses 123 type batteries which are expensive but last forever, is integrated with the Leica flash system. Ignore the crazy prices asked on eBay, a local dealer should price a lot more realistically.

• Like 1

I tried a Leica SF24D and saw little to no difference between that and my Metz 34-CS2 Digital. The Metz is non-dedicated as it only has a center contact, but has two auto F/Stops, full manual and has a built-in optical slave. It uses 2x CR2 batteries. You can find them used for less than $100 on eBay for one in mint condition. It is smaller than a pack of cigarettes

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The  Metz 45CT1 runs on AA batteries, I actually bought 2 new battery holders from B&H last month, which amazed me, I bought this flash in the 80's. I set the flash into an umbrella and get f5.6 at 10 ft, the auto system gives constant exposure. Has always worked for me, so I'm attached to it.