ND Filter 50/0.95 Noctilux Vignetting

SMAL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys, I need your help. Has anyone of you Noctilux users found a ND Filter that doesn’t cause vignetting on the 50/0.95 Noctilux? I’ve tried several and currently use a b+w 3 Stop or 6 Stop, but even that they are so slim I immediately get vignetting. I also tried using a 62mm variable ND with a step up ring, but the step up ring alone causes a vignette already.

The E60 Leica ND Filter looks even higher than the B+W Filter so I am assuming that will cause even more vignetting.

It seems like the 50/0.95 Noctilux is as small as possible build and there is no chance to add a filter that doesn’t do this. 

So who can help? 

TIA

Edited by SMAL
  • Like 1

Can you show us some examples of the vignetting that you're trying to avoid and without a filter attached?  

I use the 50 f/1 Noctilux regularly but that already has some (very pleasant) vignetting before adding a filter so are you certain that the vignetting isn't already there and you're only noticing it because your conscious that you've put a filter on and you might be expecting it?

Pete.

• Thanks 1

vor 17 Stunden schrieb farnz:

Can you show us some examples of the vignetting that you're trying to avoid and without a filter attached?  

I use the 50 f/1 Noctilux regularly but that already has some (very pleasant) vignetting before adding a filter so are you certain that the vignetting isn't already there and you're only noticing it because your conscious that you've put a filter on and you might be expecting it?

Pete.

If I’ll find the time I’ll upload some examples. 100% sure the vignette is added by the filter. I did some extensive testing before I posted here.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb evikne:

I also have a f/1.0 Noctilux and even though it of course vignettes naturally wide open, it vignettes even more with a filter attached. The extra vignetting from the filter is very difficult to fully remove in LR.

Which filter do you use? The f0.95 also vignettes naturally but it’s a lot more with the filter. 

9 minutes ago, SMAL said:

Which filter do you use? The f0.95 also vignettes naturally but it’s a lot more with the filter. 

I use a B+W F-PRO, 3 stop ND filter. Haven't tried other types yet. And I often use it in combination with the lens shade. Maybe this also affects the vignetting a bit. I'll do some more testing when the summer comes. Now in the winter time I can do without any ND filter.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb evikne:

I use a B+W F-PRO, 3 stop ND filter. Haven't tried other types yet. And I often use it in combination with the lens shade. Maybe this also affects the vignetting a bit. I'll do some more testing when the summer comes. Now in the winter time I can do without any ND filter.

Seems like the F-Pro are higher than the slim B+W I have. 

I can do without NDs right now too, but on tuesday I’ll start my two month of traveling in Asia so it will be a lot brighter and I’ll definitely need the ND Filter.

• Like 1