Leica 35 f4 Schneider PA Curtagon Shift lens

edstock

Never seen or used this earlier lens. However, Brian Bower, in Leica Reflex Photography, is absolutely unequivocal in saying that the 28/2.8 PC Super Angulon R is a far superior lens, in terms of wider angle (an advantage in its intended role), greater shift and better optical performance. So far as I can see, the only reason for getting the earlier lens is cost, and I chose to spend more and get the better, later lens.

I have one.  It really is a fine little lens...except for the fact that it only has 7mm of shift.  The shift mechanism (twist and shift) is second to none, in my opinion.  Here is a photo I took with it:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Just acquired a Leica R 35/4 PA Curtagon and very pleased with it ... I've read the "naysayers'" comments about this lens  on other forums ... some of them have maybe never used it .... and maybe just repeat others' negative comments. The lens is small, lightweight, and very easy to use ... and in common with other Schneider wide angles works best at small apertures e.g. f11 ... which is no detriment when using digital mirrorless ICL cameras with live view image amplification. I also use the Schneider PC Super Angulon R 28/2.8 ... sure it's a better lens than the Curtagon in terms of resolution .. but the Curtagon's image foootprint is excellent and it can be sourced for less than a third of the price ... and I can pack and use both lenses for my architectural trips. Furthermore, the Curtagon has an excellent 12" / 30cm minimum focus distance which promises to be ideal for tabletop still life / close-up imaging.  Yesterday when trying the lens for the first time the 7mm max shift was more than adequate for the types of buildings photographed  e.g.   https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/290932-stamford-lincs-uk-architecture/?do=findComment&comment=4063941

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

49 minutes ago, jankap said:

Beautiful series of Stamford, dunk!

Thank you Jan. There are some interesting churches in Stamford but one in particular, i.e. St Mary's, has suffered badly from pigeons' damage ... pigeons are partly responsible for weakening the spire ... to the extent that it's not safe to ring the bells. 

BW

dunk

• Like 1

Another Curtagon 35/4 shift lens image ... showing that its 7mm shift is adequate for church towers https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/290932-stamford-lincs-uk-architecture/?do=findComment&comment=4064612

The lens has an undeserved 'average' / 'so so' reputation ... it was designed to be used at f11 when shift movements are employed. 

BW

dunk

Another Leitz R Curtagon 35/4 shift lens image ... this time coupled to the Panasonic S1R ... I'm enjoying experimenting with this much maligned and misunderstood lens. My Curtagon example was made in 1970 ... thus 50 years young :) ... and has many more years' use ahead 

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/290932-stamford-lincs-uk-architecture/?do=findComment&comment=4066281

BW

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
typo