When will S3 be available? {merged}

ZHNL

Well, I start this thread meant to ask the availability of S3. Looks like there is no much real information available yet. 

I personally also have the doubt of future S system. We don't see much progress since the system introduced 10 years ago. If there is still meaningful upgrade from S2 to S007 in term of R&D. S3 to S007 upgrade didn't really show any commitment to S system from Leica  based on limited information known so far.   

I think Leica missed a huge opportunity with S system, it has tons of potential. However, quality issue (Lens AF reliability and accuracy and sensor corrosion)  really drag the system down now adding lack of design commitment to the system. Leica itself seem having doubt about its future, how could they expect their customer to think other wise? 

I hope we are all wrong until S3 show us some real progress. 

In my opinion, to make this system successful in the long run they'll need to enlarge their user base, and that means pricing the S3 somewhat more affordably, if not competitively. Call me a pessimist, but sadly, I have my doubts about that happening.

• Like 4

I will stake out a contrarian position here...

The key to the S system are the LENSES.

They are still the best in class. 

The bodies are the metaphorical icing on the cake and should be so considered. 

Leica still makes money of the lenses are used by other camera makers..

Simple as that.

Albert 😉

• Like 1

I can certainly understand the pessimism. After 4 years all they propose is changing out the sensor?  They haven’t even bothered to redesign/upgrade the supporting electronics board from the looks of it?  Using the same buffer size is just crazy...  the camera will actually be slower than the S007 from the specs released so far.

Surely given the minimum amount of engineering required on this project, same body, battery, interface, main circuit board etc. you’d think they could hit a lower price point...  But the I suppose the cost of premium manufacturing of such low volume product is getting higher.

Given the current S007 pricing, we know that S3 pricing will not be pretty.

The new S3 I think is a gesture to those already invested in the S, a good will gesture so to speak trying to avoid abandonment complaints like those of the R.  I can’t for the life of me seeing it as anything beyond that, a good will gesture to those who’ve invested heavily in S glass.

I’m sure it will be a great camera but bearing a miracle or some unreleased info it will be stillborn.  An optical viewfinder and good build quality will not be enough to warrant the extra $20,000 I doubt...

The thing is, I bet the SL2 with SL APO Summicron lenses will almost beat the current S007 for image quality, and be not a huge way behind the S3 at a third the price...  I know, it’s not MF and not optical viewfinder but it’s cheaper, smaller, faster and much more versatile.

Leica needs some radical thinking for its next gen MF.  Maybe square sensor, mirroreless, souped up SL...

I’m pretty sure SLRs will soon become like rangefinders, for those looking for nostalgia...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a lot to discuss about the S system, but I encourage those who think body design should be updated after 10 years to take a look at the Fuji100 prototype:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/1688357270/exclusive-hands-on-with-fujifilm-100mp-gfx-medium-format

What a monster! Kudos to Leica for creating a classic beauty!

• Like 2

am sure the S3 will blow the GFX100s out of the water..when it comes to good looks ;)

GFX 100 Main Specs and Features

1) Best Image Quality in Large MF Format

Announcement 1st half 2019
Shipping first half 2019
Launch price around $10,000
World’s first 102M pixels 43.8×32.9mm new BSI CMOS sensor as a mirrorless digital camera
X processor 4
5.76M-dot interchangeable EVF & Tilt Adapter

2) High Speed Medium Format

World’s first on board Phase Detection Hybrid AF as a medium format digital camera
approx. 100& coverage PDAF on Sensor area

3) High Performance Medium Format

World’s first in body image stabilization as a medium format digital camera
mount: 65mm. Short Flange back: 26.7mm

4) world’s first 4K/30p video as a medium format mirrorless digital camera

New Shooting mode switch operation with larger “Sub Monitor”

GFX100 doesn’t have dials on top plate (S.S/ISO dial, Exp. Comp. doa) for realizing Still/Movie hybrid camera for professionals, GFX100 has a shooting mode dial (Still/Multi/Movie) on top

In studio or any shooting condition professionals need quick setting for both still and movie, but physical dials sometimes delay the set-up to shoot. So GFX100 has both Still and Movie setting just switching the mode dial and realize quick check all settings on sub monitor.

And for tether shooting from PC it also helpful to change setting on both PC or camera and check easier on any monitors

Of course it also effective for reducing the body size and weight

Onboard PDAF in Medium Format Camera

Approx. 100% coverage

-2EV @ F2, 50% faster autofocus performance

This large sensor features high-speed phase detection AF. Phase detection pixels are embedded at high density across the sensor surface to provide high-speed autofocusing with excellent accuracy. The camera to reach a new audience in moving subject medium format photography. This system meets and exceeds the create needs of professional photographers.

The Worlds’ first 102M pixels mirrorelss camera

New 102 megapixels guarantee not only image quality as the sensitivity, noise and dynamic range. the construction will be “backside illuminated structure”. It must be performed for sensitivity and capacity of photons and also support faster aperture by oblique light waves.

World’s 1st IBIS in Medium Format Body

102 Megapixel must be sensitive for any vibration. Target performance: 5.0 stops

This is the world’s first medium format interchangeable lens digital camera, equipped with “In-Body image stabilization”. The IBIS functionality rewrites the rules for medium format cameras, giving users the ability to handhold a high-resolution camera in all types of photography scenarios

2 hours ago, erlingmm said:

19 minutes ago, frame-it said:

am sure the S3 will blow the GFX100s out of the water..when it comes to good looks ;)

It's difficult to disagree on the superior form-factor aesthetics - and handholdability - of the S-bodies... Personally, I want a weather protected system that I can (relatively easily) bring with me, including when hiking/skiing, with good battery capacity. The S works fine with, say, two lenses, but the GFX100 hardly so. The output from the GFX can be expected to be outstanding, but it is certainly not a first pick for me...

53 minutes ago, helged said:

It's difficult to disagree on the superior form-factor aesthetics - and handholdability - of the S-bodies... Personally, I want a weather protected system that I can (relatively easily) bring with me, including when hiking/skiing, with good battery capacity. The S works fine with, say, two lenses, but the GFX100 hardly so. The output from the GFX can be expected to be outstanding, but it is certainly not a first pick for me...

exactly! :) to each his own..but that doesn't mean the other products are "bad" which is my point.

8 hours ago, frame-it said:

GFX 100 Main Specs and Features

... (snip)....

5.76M-dot interchangeable EVF & Tilt Adapter

Are you confusing the built-in EVF specs for the new Panasonic S1 and S1R?  I haven’t seen any specs for the new Fuji detachable EVF.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

8 hours ago, frame-it said:

(...)

1) Best Image Quality in Large MF Format
(...)
4) world’s first 4K/30p video as a medium format mirrorless digital camera

1) Given that PhaseOne is already out with 150 MP, I'm not sure that's true.

4) Doesn't Red already offer MF "mirrorless" cameras with better video features? They put out a bunch of promo stuff about using them for stills a couple of years back.

The specs are speculative for now. Let's wait until these camera are in the hands of "non-sponsored" photographers. Of course Fuji will say that it's the best camera ever, but why take their word for it? Their current cameras are unsuitable for my style of photography. I find them sluggish, awkward, and very hard to focus by eye.

22 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Are you confusing the built-in EVF specs for the new Panasonic S1 and S1R?  I haven’t seen any specs for the new Fuji detachable EVF.

Jeff

im assuming there is only ONE brand of 5.76MP EVF on earth right now :)

as far as i know the leica SL 4.4 MP EVF is made by Epson Japan ["Ultramicron EVF"], and im guessing the new S1/S1R/SL2/GFX100 all use the newer Epson 5.7MP Ultramicron EVF

the leica visoflex for T-701 was also made by epson [2.2MP]

Edited by frame-it

13 hours ago, erlingmm said:

Absolutely, not the most elegant camera I’ve ever seen.

Anyway, let the dpreview crowd marvel at this Fuji to their heart’s content. It will probably tick a lot of boxes for those who think lots of features and bells and whistles will automatically yield better photos, nothing new really. A 100 MP? Sure, but as we all know, not all pixels are born equal.

On sensor phase detection AF? Let’s wait and see if there is any of the nasty banding that such sensor architecture seems to bring with it.

A little further up, someone raved about image stabilisation. Sure, but for sharpness, not much photogear beats a nice S photo, made with a high shutter speed. IS is just another checkbox, but how usefull is it in practice? So you can hand-hold a medium format camera at 1/15? That doesn’t help much if you have life subjects in front of the lens, people and animals are in motion all the time. Heck, the tree leaves in a landscape need rather high shutter speeds to be sharp, IS isn’t gonna help much. Nice to have for an emergency.

Anyway, good or bad looking camera, I just wish that Leica would make the S007 €5.000 and the S3 €10.000, widen the S user-base and make everyone happy 🙂

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, BernardC said:

According to DPR, it's similar to the EVF from the X-H1. In other words, better than the GFX, not as good as S1 or SL.

from the fuji site:

GFX50>>

Viewfinder0.5 inch Approx. 3.69 millions dots OLED Color Viewfinder Coverage of Viewing Area vs. Capturing Area : Approx. 100%
Eyepoint: Approx. 23mm (from the Rear End of the Camera's Eyepiece) , Diopter Adjustment: -4 - +2m-1
Magnification: 0.85x with 50mm Lens (35mm Equivalent) at infinity and Diopter set to -1.0m-1
Diagonal Angle of View: Approx. 40° (Horizontal Angle of View: Approx. 33° )
Built-In Eye Sensor

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/gfx/fujifilm_gfx_50s/specifications/

XH-1>>

0.5 inch approx. 3.69 millions dots OLED Color Viewfinder
Coverage of viewing area vs. capturing area: approx. 100%
Eyepoint: approx. 23mm (from the rear end of the camera’s eyepiece) Diopter adjustment: -4-+2m-1
Magnification: 0.75x with 50mm lens (35mm equivalent) at infinity and diopter set to -1.0m-1
Diagonal angle of view: approx. 38° (Horizontal angle of view: approx. 30° )
Built-in eye sensor

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_h1/specifications/

DP-review>>

EVF clarity and resolution excellent. Free from the pixelation and noticeable lag which affected the finder of the 50S, viewfinder unit is removable, but when the GFX 50S finder is attached to the GFX 100, they won’t get the benefit of the greatly improved resolution of the newer EVF

S1R from their press release>>

"The LUMIX S1R/S1 has the largest level of Real View Finder which boasts the world’s highest 5,760k-dot resolution.*The 0.78x magnification ratio can be switched to 0.7x or 0.74x according to the shooting situation."

https://www.panasonic.com/content/dam/Panasonic/Global/Learn-More/Lumix-s/PressRelease_LUMIX_S_Camera.pdf

and from the Dubai x-summit>>

"5.76M-dot interchangeable EVF & Tilt Adapter"

Edited by frame-it

• jaapv changed the title to When will S3 be available? {merged}