When will S3 be available? {merged}

ZHNL

6 hours ago, erlingmm said:

I think this thread has strayed a bit from its original topic....

If I could figure out how to filter posts mentioning......and NOT Leica

you wouldn’t like me if I was a Mod here 😂😂

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, hoppyman said:

perhaps you should ask the owner of this site to block and delete all posts that don't mention Leica products in any form  :)

vor 23 Stunden schrieb xiaubauu2009:

Tested the GFX100 today. Very impressive IBIS ability. I can get pin sharp image from the 110mm f/2 handheld at 1/40.

The 16bit color is quite nice too. The machine firmware is still buggy though. can't wake up from sleep.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Ha, you're on Nanjing xilu! Nice area, that, I usually stay there when I visit the city.
Looks like a very solid setup, this. Please post some more when you get the chance.
Greetings from California.
Lao Han

2 hours ago, hoppyman said:

I just filter posts from the worst offenders. Unfortunately, they are often quoted by others. Still, it helps reduce the noise.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

I just filter posts from the worst offenders. Unfortunately, they are often quoted by others. Still, it helps reduce the noise.

Haah yep, I do the same. I wonder how many block lists I am on 😛

threads often seem to have a progression, especially when there is no new news.

My post just intended to be a little humour in the thread. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, erlingmm said:

September

I can wait until September!

😀😀😀

That is actually good timing for a lot of things. All eyes will be on Leica as the excitement generated by Fuji and Hasselblad will have settled down by then. Cool!

Talking about actual timing, September is not great for me at least. I do a large amount of shooting from August to late October, but then the light starts to fail, and I get more printing/teaching work in the winter. The light does not really come back until February or March. So releasing in September is kind of the end of the season for me (assuming it does not really get into stores and into hands until a few weeks or months later). It basically sets it up to be a season behind. It is not a big deal at all, but assuming it comes out at a price I can justify, the original schedule of spring would have been a lot nicer...

9 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Talking about actual timing, September is not great for me at least. I do a large amount of shooting from August to late October, but then the light starts to fail, and I get more printing/teaching work in the winter. The light does not really come back until February or March. So releasing in September is kind of the end of the season for me (assuming it does not really get into stores and into hands until a few weeks or months later). It basically sets it up to be a season behind. It is not a big deal at all, but assuming it comes out at a price I can justify, the original schedule of spring would have been a lot nicer...

Maybe it is noise-free at ISO 6400 ... 😎

I have yet to see any camera that looks very good over 3200...including high ISO cameras like the A7S. In other words, I will believe it when I see it. They are certainly better than they were, but they all look worse than they do at base ISO. If it is not noise, then it is color fidelity, tonality and DR etc. Anyway, winter work for me is mostly done on a tripod. Photographing is somewhat seasonal for me because a lot of the roads into the highlands here are only open from June to October, so there are large parts of the country you cannot get to without a super jeep or snowmobile in the winter, and even if you can, you need to be extremely well prepared for dramatic changes in conditions. Leica has said the S was usable at all ISO's. It is just as good as most cameras at most of its settings, but it never looks better than it does at 160. I fully admit I am a complete grouch about this, and I do not like getting rid of quality, which is almost always the case as soon as you move the ISO off of its native setting. Of course, if you have to shoot handheld or have to stop motion, it is reasonable to use higher ISO, but the idea that you can do it without sacrificing image quality is a lie spun by marketing teams.

Edited by Stuart Richardson

Woke up early today to try to test out the new PhaseOne IQ4150 Frame Averaging technology (taking multiple short exposure to blend into 1 RAW to imitate longer exposure). Bad weather, lousy fog and smog...

Took out the GFX100+110 to shoot some BTS... handheld 1/60 ISO320.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This frame averaging idea is actually quite nice, and could be something that is implemented into future Leica S/SL technology as it basically eliminate noise and the need for ND/GND as all you need to do is expose to the bright area and the shadow can be recover anytime with close to 0 noise.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I know that many people are not satisfied with the Leica S tethering. 

I wonder if it’s possible to introduce the Sinar CaptureFlow software for all Leica products with tethering ports. It is a DNG workflow software and very reliable. I am sure that a part of its code they use for the new digital back can be used for the S, the S30/45 is based on the 007 anyway.

https://sinar.swiss/products/digital-backs/#!/0

https://sinar.swiss/products/software/#!/1

After my Sinar camera was stolen I kept some of my Sinar CMV lenses. My friend who uses his Sinar p3 borrowed my lenses and I went to his studio to see the  shoot. Wonderful experience. No glitches. No pain. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Jan1985 said:

Last Night I drove along the Leitz Park in Wetzlar with Open windows. And what I did smell was some Kind of strong harsh flavor that there will be coming up something very big in september... 

If it smells harsh, I am not sure I want it 😎

• Haha 1

In any ways, IMO and for my needs I believe the S is still the most interesting small medium format system, specially because I believe the lenses have to offer something special.

I do however not understand Leicas communication and marketing. I think it is fine they take time to make the S3 right, but also it would be good to give more information to S-users and customers about timing etc.

For my part I am not in a hurry because the existing bodies work fine for me (except I would like to have a more advanced AF in the future), but I bet there are others who could use more MP or other feautures of the S3.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb tom0511:

In any ways, IMO and for my needs I believe the S is still the most interesting small medium format system, specially because I believe the lenses have to offer something special.

I do however not understand Leicas communication and marketing. I think it is fine they take time to make the S3 right, but also it would be good to give more information to S-users and customers about timing etc.

For my part I am not in a hurry because the existing bodies work fine for me (except I would like to have a more advanced AF in the future), but I bet there are others who could use more MP or other feautures of the S3.

Yes you are right Leica Lenses are somewhat special. Every time I just take a snapshot from a normal daily life moment the rendering of the picture is natural and organic with a nice presence.... the only thing what makes me angry that the rubber around the camera peels off. After my research I found out that Leica developed a new glue for the rubber elements because the previous doesn't resist in longterm usage and extreme weather situations... and this for a 18.600€ body... shame!

• jaapv changed the title to When will S3 be available? {merged}