CL wide angle question 21mm???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was never really taken with my 18mm elmarit so I've just sold it and am looking for a replacement.....now the obvious choice would be the 11-23 T  but I'm not sure I need the range and I'm not a lover of zooms at the best of times

SO.....

Thinking of a 21mm prime....Zeiss biogon , Elmarit -M or super elmar    just looking for thoughts and opinions on these or perhaps I should just buy a new 11-23.....no dealers near here so difficult to try re handling etc.....Budget is upto £1400 GBP (but obviously the zeiss is a lot less and I'm happy buying used)

Also,,,Any issues using these with the Leica M-L adapter on the CL (like rear element fouling etc?)

Thanks Guys and Girls

Edited by johntobias

Super-Elmar-M 3,4/21mm works superbly on the CL. But I do not see the point of using it with CL.

Slow 32mm (with the depth of field of a full frame f/5.1) is not really useful in regard of cost. Just buy awesome Summicron-TL 2/23mm instead

I have the 11-23 and it is a superb lens, it is simply fantastic. the image quality is so great that there is almost nothing to do in post processing. What I really love at landscapes is the color of the sky. This lens was the reason for me to move from M system to CL, because now I am able to have autofocus and great EVF plus an extraordinary wide angle. The only problem seems that it is not easy to buy one, even at Frankfurt airport shops (and there was some weeks ago the entire CL family) hhe CL system is almost sold out. I also have the adapter, it works perfect with M-lenses.

2 hours ago, johntobias said:

Suppose I have one eye on going M10 in the future 🙂

Then buy a M10 first and SE 21 later. It really shines on full frame. Even better with a M Monochrom

Really any slow wide angle M lenses are kind of a waste of money mounted on CL. 

Widest and slowest conceivable will the Elmarit-M 2.8/28mm asph : quite cheap, sharp enough for APS-C, very compact and it gives you nice 42mm equivalent. 

Summilux-M 24mm is certainly nice of you have the money. Otherwise don’t bother with any 24mm and wider and buy Summicron-TL 23mm. 

Summilux-M 21mm is probably too big and too expensive with CL. And odd 31mm equivalent focal length is weird. 

By the way Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11-23mm is so excellent, that I will not bother to buy wide angle lens for M10.

Just keep the CL for this task. You will need anyway a Visoflex for WA, but CL viewfinder is so much better. 

And IQ is the same between CL and M10  Really. 

M cameras with 0.68x or 0.72x viewfinder are only made for 35 and 50mm lenses. 

28mm and 75mm is a bit of stretch. 90mm is too challenging. And 135mm is almost impossible to use, even with a 1.4x magnifier.

Any wide angle require an external view finder. So only hyperfocal makes any sense.

Otherwise you have to use huge ugly plasticky Visoflex. And in this case CL does a better work than M10. 

Edited by nicci78

Thanks for all the advice folks.....I just picked up a mint used 11-23 for a fantastic price (60%of new) so thats it, I'll be sticking with the CL for a while !     as always, you give me several perspectives and make decision making easier !

I love this forum !

• Like 2