Leitz device but what is it?

pridbor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My uncle, now 84 and living in Switzerland has for a very long time not used his Photo equipment, almost all Leica and all in Mint condition. He told me that he was going to sell it to a "Photo Guy" and he mentioned a sum which was laughable, so I proposed to buy it all from him, all "m" stuff, which I ended up doing. I got a bag full of items to be sorted out and I will be selling some of the items once I know their use, and can't find a way to use them myself. Sorry for the long intro. (This is how I got my mint M7 BTW)

I uncovered this item which I have no idea of what is, see photo, please. It obviously looks like it's part of, or can be used with some other gear but what and would anyone want such a part?

It looks like one can place a diapositive in a holder on one end but ???

Thanks for any clarification provided

Preben

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 2:31 AM, pridbor said:

It looks like one can place a diapositive in a holder on one end but ???

On 1/25/2019 at 4:36 AM, Michael Hiles said:

believe this is a compendium lens shade to be used with the Bellows II - a close up device to be used with a Visoflex II, IIa or III. Basically a fancy and specific use lens shade.

It is, indeed.  But, it also doubles as a slide duplicator together with the bellows + Visoflex, and a lens.  Set the bellows and lens for 1:1 reproduction, put the slider in the holder and place the compendium on the bellows (there are holes for the 2 rods) so the image of the slide is in focus.  Diffuse light on the slide is needed (there should be a milky glass diffuser in the set; if missing, just use a light box or similar).  Once it is set up, it is a superior alternative to most slide scanners.

• Like 1

Gents,

Thank you both for your clarifying responses.

In the meantime, I did find a few more items clarifying what you said, in Pictures 🙂

I have seen other eBay items for sale, of the device in my first post, which has another device screwed into it. It almost seems like it will attach to the Lens in the same manner a Hood would and thus make for a "seamless and light tight connection", poorly described but I hope you get my meaning. If that's the case then I'm short such one.

I'm trying to make a setup to copy my old Slides with this setup using my Sony 7AR II

I'm wondering what you meant by setting the Lens to 1:1. In my case, I have an M35 Elmarit attached via the 16596 Adapter. (On my R 60mm Macro Lens I do see "1:xx" markings but not on the 35mm. Please help

Thanks

Preben

The leftmost Item is what I'm referring to, see the additional item that screwed into the left Bellow?

If it comes that way from the Factory, then I'm out of luck as my uncle gave me what he had.

Thanks again for your feedbacks

Preben

And I would like to know how to delete an image in a post because I certainly don't know how to!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am ‎08‎.‎02‎.‎2019 um 10:33 schrieb elgenper:

It is, indeed.  But, it also doubles as a slide duplicator together with the bellows + Visoflex, and a lens.  Set the bellows and lens for 1:1 reproduction, put the slider in the holder and place the compendium on the bellows (there are holes for the 2 rods) so the image of the slide is in focus.  Diffuse light on the slide is needed (there should be a milky glass diffuser in the set; if missing, just use a light box or similar).  Once it is set up, it is a superior alternative to most slide scanners.

Do you have or have you ever seen a device for fitting slides to the "compendium"?  35mm film and slide frames  are too small to fit directly; even if the size was good for larger formats I am rather sure slide frames would not fit being to thick for the springs which theoretically might hold them.

I remember a similar discussion in the German Forum years ago. It was said, that Leitz never offered a mask or other device to attach to the compendium for slide duplication. May be there are some prototypes, but only in single versions.

Perhaps the "compendium's" front was only meant to attach filters?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jaapv said:

The only thing missing here is the 135 mm lens head (or 90 mm) that screws into the mount on the bellows and locks into the ring on the compendium, provided that is the16558 ring I see. 

Jaap, It's the "Compendium Ring" you refer to that seems to be missing from my "Compendium" device, (see image in the top post of my device) I see threads so it must be a ring that can be mounted separately, if I can only find one without having to buy a complete set 😞 I was hoping to use my 35 or 50mm lenses using the 16596 adapter, which according to the above table should work, as I don't have the (screw mount) lenses you are referring to.

UliWer, on the Slide topic, shame on me for not even have tried to fit a Slide into this compendium before talking about it here! but I just did and here are the findings: A slide will fit the "slide frames" and will accept a normal 35mm slide, however, the Slide itself is way too small to fit the very large opening of the Compendium! If that's what you said then you are correct. The usable opening is 64mm wide and would accept a larger frame if the thickness of the frame would be the same as the 35mm slide.

I tried to insert it on one side only but it cuts off a large % of the image so no solution there. Was there ever slides for medium size film? Could it be meant for some Laboratory work with maybe "glass frames" from Microscopes, or? 

Either way seems like I have to think out of the box for this 🙂

Thanks 

Preben

Here is the compendium's front:

The slots on both sides and the metal springs to hold something tight really look as if they were designed for fixing slides.

But 35mm slides with frames are too small, and the frames - also for 120-films - are too thick to fit into the slots. 

Though there could be any device with a mask to fit a slide film or framed slides to the center of the compendium's opening, and only the mask was to be fitted into the slots.  But Leitz never offered anything like this. 

So if someone knows what could fit, this might be interesting

• Like 1

To the best of my recollection, I have never seen a slide like the one in your post! 

As you can see from my image I have always gotten the cardboard versions and it fits perfectly fine in the holder, except it's too small for the holder.

Thickness is 1.0 mm and it "slides" in perfectly.

Thanks for your insight

Preben

vor einer Stunde schrieb pridbor:

To the best of my recollection, I have never seen a slide like the one in your post! 

Have a look: https://www.adorama.com/gp7001.html

The frame on my photo is no Gepe; i just tried it because it‘s thinner than Gepe. 

It‘s fine that cardboard frames will fit in the slots, though this doesn‘t resolve the problem, that the compendium’s frame is too big  for 35mm film.

So there is still the question if there is any device - mask or whatever - which could solve the problem.

• Like 1

How about an adapter like this? I noticed on your Photo that the Slide guides were attached with screws, so I came up with the idea of creating a new "plate" with a smaller opening for the Slide and new screw holes for attachment of the plate and original slide guides. Now I just need to find out where I can get it cut out and find the small kind of screws etc ... Does anyone know a source of such small screws?

Edited by pridbor