Monochrom Prices and Sensors

RayD28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I browsed a few retail websites and noticed a few M9M with original sensors that are dropping into my price range.  It seems like there were a lot of M9s that developed sensor corrosion but I'm not sure if the M9Ms sensors were as prone to corrosion.  Do any of you know?

Also, would any of you that have or had both versions recommend getting the first version or waiting until one can afford the second.  Waiting for a M10 MM is not appealing to me because it will be a long time before they get into my price range.

Thanks in advance for your input.  

My M9 Monochrom developed the cover glass corrosion and received  a replacement sensor of the new design.  Same with my M9.  Both issues occurred within the first two years of purchase.  Since not all sensors will experience the problem it is possible a five year old M9 Monochrom that is still corrosion free would be a good buy.  Otherwise get one with re-designed sensor replacement documentation.

I shoot with both the M9 Monochrom and the M Typ 246 (which I purchased while the M9M was on "vacation").  Initially my plan was to sell the M9 Monochrom after it returned, but I have not been able to bring myself to do it.  I much prefer the look and feel of the M9 Monochrom body, but the Typ 246 is the better camera.  Both produce exceptional images.  Since they have limited highlight recovery I expose for the highlights (assuming they are important to the image).  Often that results in underexposed images that must be exposure/shadow corrected in post.  The Typ 246 is much superior when shot this way as its ISO performance  allows me  to make more adjustment without introducing noise in the image.  Not that the M9M is bad in this regard - just that the CMOS sensor in the Typ 246 provides more latitude.

10 hours ago, Luke_Miller said:

My M9 Monochrom developed the cover glass corrosion and received  a replacement sensor of the new design.  Same with my M9.  Both issues occurred within the first two years of purchase.  Since not all sensors will experience the problem it is possible a five year old M9 Monochrom that is still corrosion free would be a good buy.  Otherwise get one with re-designed sensor replacement documentation.

I shoot with both the M9 Monochrom and the M Typ 246 (which I purchased while the M9M was on "vacation").  Initially my plan was to sell the M9 Monochrom after it returned, but I have not been able to bring myself to do it.  I much prefer the look and feel of the M9 Monochrom body, but the Typ 246 is the better camera.  Both produce exceptional images.  Since they have limited highlight recovery I expose for the highlights (assuming they are important to the image).  Often that results in underexposed images that must be exposure/shadow corrected in post.  The Typ 246 is much superior when shot this way as its ISO performance  allows me  to make more adjustment without introducing noise in the image.  Not that the M9M is bad in this regard - just that the CMOS sensor in the Typ 246 provides more latitude.

Thanks, Luke.  ISO performance was my follow up question.  I had an M9 and upgraded to an M because the M9 had corrosion and was probably a bad example because it was very "buggy".  But I loved the feel of the M9.  Thanks for the input.  

Some good dealers, like Leica Miami, will not sell M9 variants (including the Monochrom) without the most recent sensor replacement.  I bought one that way, just returned to the dealer from Wetzlar, with new sensor and service, and under 5000 actuations.... essentially mint. Working through a reputable dealer, with warranty, is the only route I’d follow. I use the MM along with an M10.  Both marvelous tools, with pros and cons, and capable of great files.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

Only Leica knows for sure, but I'd venture that the original M9M sensors were as likely (or not) to develop sensor corrosion as was the M9.

In my own personal sample set... my M9 has not - knock on wood - developed sensor corrosion; my M9M did (and was replaced by Leica).

Regardless of statistical odds, I would not personally buy an M9M that still has its original, corrosion-possible sensor.  Since Leica ended the "free forever" sensor replacement program, the purchaser is taking on a fair bit of financial risk... risk that would remain there in the corner for the life of the camera.

Between the choice of an M9M (with replaced, updated sensor) and a M246... I own both, love both, and shoot with both.  They are both fine cameras.  They have slightly different strengths, but broadly share more than they differ.  You can hardly go wrong with either.  But, on balance, I'd probably give a slight edge to the M246.

There's been much discussion about the replacement sensors and Leica using the same sensor to replace the first one. I spoke with Leica USA about my M serial #434XXXX as I was concerned which sensor was used. They told me the new redesigned sensor was used and the firmware upgrade was 1.016. There's a way to enter a service mode using various inputs on the camera to read the CCD ID #. I was curious if anyone knows what number this is? The old number was 52, I think. Obviously, an owner wants the redesigned sensor and not just a replacement using the same sensor from before. Thanks.

I have a Monochrom v1 and asked for it to be checked as soon as Leica announced the sensor replacement programme. Sensor corrosion was picked up on inspection before it was apparent on my photos and the new redesigned sensor was filled at no cost to me.

The Monochrom v1 is a fabulous camera.  I’ve moved from M9 to M240 to M10 and been glad to do so, but I’ve had no interest in replacing the Monochrom.

Do NOT buy any M9 variant that does not have the new redesigned sensor fitted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 5:42 PM, Jdphoto said:

Thank you. That info I already know, but don't what the current CCD ID # is to indicate the new redesigned sensor.

I don't know if you ever got an answer to this question, but the replacement is CCD ID# 53.

I'm not sure who made the initial sensors but my recollection is that they came from Kodak. After getting the new sensor in my MM1, the images did not have the same look. They seemed to lack the punch of the original and I had more trouble getting detail in the shadow areas. I loved that camera with the original sensor before the corrosion hit but it lost its appeal for me after replacement. I don't know who made the new sensors. Now I'm back to converting files from the M10.

• Like 2