Leica T review in 2019

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know how you can say you need 3X the focal length with the CL, I have used 1/8 of a second with my 23mm and gotten sharp pictures. I find it to be a standard, use the focal length of the lens as your bottom speed. If you are only using the LCD then maybe yes, but the CL has a great viewfinder so why not us it. One thing I always tell students from years ago, the viewfinder of a camera is a third leg of a tripod with your 2 hands. There are also breathing techniques to get you to hold the camera at slow speeds. Also what is so bad about taking out an SD card, I just put it into my computer to download, put an empty card in the camera. FOTOS to me is a cable release, I just have to work on not looking at my phone if I am in the picture 😁.

• Like 2

I am taking photograph of fast moving little people, in a run and gun style. So the faster the shutter speed, the better. 

Excellent shooting techniques are neat. But nothing beats fast shutter speed. They are foolproof for every situations. 

For dead stuffs, use whatever :

• very stable tripod 
  • self stabilising yourself through breathing, yoga or whatever
  • rely on image stabilisation : OIS or IBIS

But for living men or animals and macro shots, I don't see any other way than rising the shutter speed or use a flash to freeze movement. 

That's why you will always need wide aperture prime lenses and clean very high ISO. And did I mention a flash too ? Hopefully T and TL still have a useful tiny flash. 

Edited by nicci78

By the way, old school IR remote are so much better than using your smartphone are a remote release. 

That's why smartphone are dumber than a dumb remote. So much hassle for something as easy as just point the remote to the camera and click. 

I really hate all those so called smart connected devices or appliances. They are making life more difficult, not easier. Because they need an internet connection, a voice input or an smartphone app control. Isn't it great to just push a button to turn on you light ? instead of fiddling with stupid Siri, Alexa or whatever assistants ? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nicci78 said:

By the way, old school IR remote are so much better than using your smartphone are a remote release. 

That's why smartphone are dumber than a dumb remote. So much hassle for something as easy as just point the remote to the camera and click. 

I really hate all those so called smart connected devices or appliances. They are making life more difficult, not easier. Because they need an internet connection, a voice input or an smartphone app control. Isn't it great to just push a button to turn on you light ? instead of fiddling with stupid Siri, Alexa or whatever assistants ? 

I agree a cable release is a simple device that all cameras should have, much better and simpler than an ap. But I had to do a group shot of of an exercise class I was in where a friend and one of our top people came down with a serious illness. I set up the shot and was asked to be in the picture, had my phone set up FOTOS, went to the corner of the group and did the shot, as with any group of people who were not expecting a photo that night it was the only photo I could do, so there I am looking stupid looking at the smart phone, most of the other people look fine. But when I use the CL with FOTOS I always have to explain it I get one of two responses gees an ap how unnecessary, or how cool. I also find it easier to use an SD card in my computer or reader, than to wait for the files to download through FOTOS and the camera. Yes I agree it is easier to flip a switch.

• Haha 1

So nice to see the virtues of the T system still gaining appreciation. I bought a T and used it with a Visoflex until the TL2 came out. I waffled a bit about the CL, but in the end found the TL2 to be more flexible for many of the reasons cited. Have never gotten around to selling my old T body though...

Still quite happy with the images!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

I had a T when he came out. Sold it.

Recently decided to buy a second hand T with 18-56 and Visoflex mostly for my wife. She likes using a smartphone and finds the T gorgeous and easy to use when she needs a zoom.

I also sometimes use it beside my M and SL. The numerous firmware updates really improved this very nice camera. It is not the same than the former I used with the first firmwares.

Up to 1600 isos, image quality is still excellent.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very interesting this thread.
Things have been said that I share fully.

After thinking a lot, asking and putting things in balance between Cl and TL2, in the end I decided on TL2.

At the moment very happy with the choice. Adapting to the digital menus was not difficult and, in addition, when you get used to it, you don't want another format.

* Buy the Leica TL leather strap that is more flexible than the original silicone.
* The half cover of Gariz with the device to remove and place without having to do it with currency.

• Like 1

This is a very interesting thread.

Other than the increased internal memory, are there any other differences between the T and TL? Is the IQ identical, or have Leica tweaked the sensor in the TL to give a slightly better IQ?

Well the TL I bought "used" for 500 Euro  from a certified dealer, one year guarantee, arrived and it turned out to be an unused demo LNIB. The strap had  never been fitted and it is pristine. :)  After playing around a bit I must say that I am very much more impressed by the camera than I was by the original T. I have yet to discover dislikes. Does anybody know what the latest firmware is?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jaapv said:

Well the TL I bought "used" for 500 Euro  from a authorized dealer, one year guarantee, arrived and it turned out to be an unused demo LNIB. The strap had  never been fitted and it is pristine. :)  After playing around a bit I must say that I am very much more impressed by the camera than I was by the original T. I have yet to discover dislikes. Does anybody know what the latest firmware is?

You got a great deal Jaap! 👍

Hope you enjoy using it. Look forward to seeing some photos.

On 2/14/2020 at 8:26 PM, jaapv said:

Well the TL I bought "used" for 500 Euro  from a certified dealer, one year guarantee, arrived and it turned out to be an unused demo LNIB. The strap had  never been fitted and it is pristine. :)  After playing around a bit I must say that I am very much more impressed by the camera than I was by the original T. I have yet to discover dislikes. Does anybody know what the latest firmware is?

FW 2.4 released in September 2018

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2020 at 8:57 PM, firoze said:

You got a great deal Jaap! 👍

Hope you enjoy using it. Look forward to seeing some photos.

Images here :) :
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/306487-rusty-fishy/

This is a a strange but strangely satisfying  camera.
Obviously aimed at the casual user who wants to upgrade from a smartphone, it punches far above its weight in usability and image quality, making it totally acceptable to the serious photographer. The JPGs are quite usable, and the DNGs require a minimum of postprocessing to get really good.
I find the LCD quite usable, even focusing manual lenses, although it is more slanted to AF by the concept.  Still, no problem using M lenses. The Color-Skopar 25 I used has a hint of red corners, though.
I thought I needed to buy a Visoflex -ouch! the same price as the camera!- but decided I do not need it at all, much to my surprise. 

Even the flash is reasonably decent, for an on-board one

Although I still prefer using the CL by a clear margin, I can see me using this one as the body behind my 105-280 in a Safari vehicle on a bean-bag. I tended to use the LCD anyway in that situation; less crouching down and easier on the spine. :lol: And it has IBIS!

A perfect second string as a travel camera and the bridge between my CL and iP11Pro.
I do think my MFT system might be be redundant. If only there were a 100-400 TL.

Life is good :)

But I still need the manual... Gestures, Swiping and Double Taps instead of buttons and dials, forsooth! 🥵

• Like 1

On 2/15/2020 at 4:26 AM, jaapv said:

should be FW 1.9 i think

ah nope its 2.4 for the TL, 1.9 for the T-701

https://en.leica-camera.com/content/download/152664/2709680/version/1/file/Installationsanleitung FW TL_2_4_DE.pdf

Edited by frame-it
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

Images here :) :
https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/306487-rusty-fishy/

This is a a strange but strangely satisfying  camera.
Obviously aimed at the casual user who wants to upgrade from a smartphone, it punches far above its weight in usability and image quality, making it totally acceptable to the serious photographer. The JPGs are quite usable, and the DNGs require a minimum of postprocessing to get really good.
I find the LCD quite usable, even focusing manual lenses, although it is more slanted to AF by the concept.  Still, no problem using M lenses. The Color-Skopar 25 I used has a hint of red corners, though.
I thought I needed to buy a Visoflex -ouch! the same price as the camera!- but decided I do not need it at all, much to my surprise. 

Even the flash is reasonably decent, for an on-board one

Although I still prefer using the CL by a clear margin, I can see me using this one as the body behind my 105-280 in a Safari vehicle on a bean-bag. I tended to use the LCD anyway in that situation; less crouching down and easier on the spine. :lol: And it has IBIS!

A perfect second string as a travel camera and the bridge between my CL and iP11Pro.
I do think my MFT system might be be redundant. If only there were a 100-400 TL.

Life is good :)

But I still need the manual... Gestures, Swiping and Double Taps instead of buttons and dials, forsooth! 🥵

Good to know you are pleased with the camera, and that it works well for you. The results speak for themselves. 

• Thanks 1