Jump to content
littlelio

Leica DNG vs Adobe DNG, same? not the same?

Recommended Posts

I am very much confused... need some help.

The Leica DNG can be opened directly in either lightroom and capture one, and editting. Good.

Then there is the adobe dng converter. Just out of curiosity, I converted leica dng to adobe dng.

Still, they work in capture one - certainly.

However, I found if I apply the same ICC profile to them, the color results are very different. (nothing else changed) By the way the default profile for leica dng was my camera model (typ 262 M-D, which is typ 262 equivalent ), while the adobe dng got default icc profile. To be more exact, the adobe dng color will be more vivid.

If either works, should I start from leica dng or adobe dng? Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are the same. Uploading to LR just import "Copy", others can no doubt advice about Capture One.

Edited by pedaes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are not the same. The camera DNG for many and perhaps all Leica digital cameras presumes a D50 color matrix. If you run the DNG through Adobe DNG Converter, this program presumes a D65 color matrix is desired, notes the input D50, and writes the output DNG accordingly. Such at least is the word from technical people who maintain the fabulous Raw Therapee program. See this thread in their discussion group:
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/why-very-high-white-balance-temperature-for-some-cameras/10498/3
In this thread someone had a problem that RT began on Leica DNGs with ridiculous color temperatures of 30000K and more. After putting the DNG through Adobe DNG Converter, RT begins with a good and reasonable color temperature.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who looks at the precise colour temperature value when shifting the white point in raw conversion? I certainly don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 2:14 AM, CharlesL said:

They are not the same. The camera DNG for many and perhaps all Leica digital cameras presumes a D50 color matrix. If you run the DNG through Adobe DNG Converter, this program presumes a D65 color matrix is desired, notes the input D50, and writes the output DNG accordingly. Such at least is the word from technical people who maintain the fabulous Raw Therapee program. See this thread in their discussion group:
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/why-very-high-white-balance-temperature-for-some-cameras/10498/3
In this thread someone had a problem that RT began on Leica DNGs with ridiculous color temperatures of 30000K and more. After putting the DNG through Adobe DNG Converter, RT begins with a good and reasonable color temperature.

That's not quite accurate. DNG's typically (but not always) have two color matrixes, one at D50, and one at D65. The issue with RT is that RT assumes that typical == always. The correct way to read a DNG, from Leica or Adobe, is to read the tags to find out what color temperature each matrix is, and process accordingly. (CalibrationIlluminant1 and CalibrationIlluminant2, if you want the technical details). That's why other raw processors don't have that issue.

Sandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sandymc said:

That's not quite accurate. DNG's typically (but not always) have two color matrixes...

Thank you. I passed your comment on to the Raw Therapee discussion board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 10:08 AM, CharlesL said:

I passed your comment on to the Raw Therapee discussion board.

And here is a reply posted there:

"DNG’s typically (but not always) have two color matrixes, one at D50, and one at D65" -- that part is incorrect. Most of the time the StdA illuminant is set as illuminant 1 and D65 as illuminant 2. While is it legal according to the DNG specification (v1.4.0.0, page 31) for D50 and D65 to be specified, I have never seen that, and it would not make much sense. Agreed that a raw converter should check and not assume - I don’t currently know whether RT does that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×