SilverFast8 Negafix profile for TMax100

jmahto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using Plustek8100 and SilverFast8 for scanning my negatives and always used the NegaFix profile. I had scanned many rolls and didn't notice anything bad. But in my last roll I had shot a scene that was quite bright (reflection of sky in the water) and I had exposed it by the meter (+1 to make the water look bright). However, NegaFix profile for TMax 100 made it too dark and contrasty. The scan looked better when I removed the profile.

Do you use NegaFix profile in scanning and have you seen any issues with it?

See below: 
1) With NegaFix TMax100 profile. No other adjustment:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

2) Without any profile. No other adjustment:

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stealth3kpl said:

What's the thick black line on the left of the frame? If it's the film rebate, crop it out and try again with the negfix

Pete

I tried after adjusting the crop but the results was the same. It seems that NegaFix does auto exposure correction based on the image. In this case it is almost 3 stop dark scan. I did some googling and found one mention of this behavior with some other profile (pictures with white background were darkened).

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 1

One major potential flaw when applying settings like NegaFix in SilverFast 8 is that you need to be absolutely precise in framing the negative to make sure the program adjusts correctly! Easily a white or black border messes up the automatic white balance or contrast correction in NegaFix. I have observed it, too when scanning medium format negatives including the black border of the frame. Sometimes I need to disable NegaFix to make it look right. 

• Like 1