Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think it can sometimes work to 'reset' the camera if you leave it with the battery out for a few days.

The camera isn't worth much at all now, maybe £50 in working order, so if all else fails keep it as an ornament. The cost of repair - if it's even possible - will be significantly more than that.

Thank you, Dave-I am aware of this place but they do seem more geared to repairing mechanical cameras.

I think that I will try a camera repair Co. in Glasgow that does cater for digital. They do free estimates but they might not be interested if they think that parts are no longer available.

Having said that, it might not require any spares-just the ability to access it's menus and reset.

I'll report back on my progress in due course.

Tony

Thanks James-I shall try the "removing the battery" aproach for a couple of days. Not really thought about it's current value but some optimistic Ebayers seem to have a different mindset from yours-the bottom line will be the price that they actually sell for-we shall see!

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

I was going to suggest making sure that the card was just an SD and not SDHC,  but you seem to have already tried that.  These days I cannot find any new 2GB SD cards for sale anywhere which is a shame because the camera still works well and gives good results..

I bought my Digilux 1 new when they first came out - for £600 which just goes to show how these depreciate :o(

Susie

Thanks Susie-indeed none of the shops carry anything less than 8GB these days but I have just purchased a Transcend 2GB SD card via Amazon for £7.40 inc. delivery but other makes are available at slightly higher prices. Also several on Ebay or just do a Google search. Needless to say even this brand new card did not solve the issue with my Digilux 1 and I haven't tried it on another camera yet but I have no reason to think that it will not be good. I am intending to take the camera to a local camera repairer who does do digital cameras and I hope that the fault might be a software or firmware problem which they might be able to fix. So long as it is not "Sorry, but that part is no longer available"! We shall see. I shall post any progress right here.

As for depreciation, most digital cameras, especially consumer compacts etc.suffer very badly from it. I think S/H values for ours have increased a little in the last year or so and I reckon that a mint or near, boxed example with all the bits could fetch £150-£180 and maybe even more on a good day. I quite like it's chunky comfortable feel and looks and the results at 100 ISO are first class. However, there appears to be mixed opinions about the only two higher speeds. What is your experience with the camera?

Mine only came into my possession when my elder brother died recently. He had hardly used it in the 14 years since he bought it new-both the Leica batteries had died but I got a good independent one which seems fine.

Incidentally, if you are a member of The Leica Society it is likely that my item with Digilux 1 photos will be published in the next edition of their magazine-so the Editor tells me!

Regards,

Tony

Edited by TONY COWAN

• 5 months later...
On 2/10/2019 at 5:50 PM, TONY COWAN said:

I have just purchased a Transcend 2GB SD card via Amazon for £7.40 inc.

Did this format ok on the camera?  I just bought a Transcend 1GB card for my M10-D but it won't format it for some reason. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not quite sure if your query is relevant to my post. My 15 year old Japanese made Digilux 1 is a totally different type of camera from an M10-D. In the end my camera had to have it's card reader repaired at a cost of some £94 and it now working with any SD Card that I have tried altho' at this point I am not sure if this includes the Transcend card but I suspect that it will.

But why are you buying a 1GB card for a camera that can take a MUCH bigger size than that? 1 to 4GB cards are now more expensive than cards several times their size.

So even if my Transcend formats or not with my camera it would not be relevant to how it might or not format with your totally different Leica!

Keep us all posted,

Tony

16 minutes ago, TONY COWAN said:

But why are you buying a 1GB card for a camera that can take a MUCH bigger size than that?

No more than 2GB if memory serves but 2GB cards store more than 999 jpegs IINW while the Digilux 1 counter peaks at 999.  

37 minutes ago, TONY COWAN said:

Not sure as to the relevance of your comment, I'm afraid!

I'll try to elaborate then. The SD standard cannot exceed 2GB IINW and i don't see the point in having more than 999 pics on a card if they cannot be counted by the camera. As far as i'm concerned, i've never used bigger cards than 1GB on my D1. My first one was 64MB go figure, was the one in the package if memory serves me well but it was in 2002 so i may have forgotten one thing or two ;).

I think that there is some confusion here. My comment was aimed at the comment by SiOnara who said that he had bought a 1GB card for his M10-D (Leica I presume) and I wondered why he was using a 1GB card on a recent sophisticated digital camera that can take much bigger and faster SD cards. Just to clarify-I am happy with using 2GB cards on my Digilux 1 and the also the 999 limit on the counter, so that is not an issue. I am even happier now that the original fault with it's card reader has now been sorted-see my previous posts. I still await further response from SiOnara!