Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone shed any light on this problem with my Digilux 1?

I recently was left by my late brother a near mint , complete and hardly used Digilux 1 which he had bought new in 2004. I know that he only had taken a few hundred photos in all this time. I  tested it out in a local churchyard and produced a rather nice set of photos. I then decided to use an SD card which I had cleared and formatted on my iMac. When I then inserted the card into the camera a message appeared on the screen saying "No memory Card". I tried again and re-inserted the battery. I tried the card in more modern Leica Digital cameras and it worked perfectly. I tried other cards known to be working but still got the same message on the screen. The green light stayed on permanently even with the camera switched off! Removing the battery sorted that.

However, there was still an image on the screen and I could take a flash photo which of course could not be saved. The zoom and focus still worked.

Was it just a co-incidence or did that iMac formatted card cause the problem?

Your thoughts, please!

Thanks, Tony cowan

If the battery is the original, replace it with a new one and try again.Having spent a long time uncharged, the battery will be highly suspect. Alternatively,  see if the camera will connect to an external power source. My Digilux 2 has that option.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you mean the contacts where the SD card goes in? After all it is SD cards not being recognised. The other power sucking funtions i.e. flash, zoom etc. are still fully working which would suggest that power is getting thro' alright. However, I'll give them all a light clean with a suitable alcohol fluid-nothing to lose!

I tried cleaning all contacts as best I could but made no difference. I really do think that it is a software/firmware problem which could possibly be sorted if I could have restored everything to factory settings. Possibly a suitably equiped camera repair shop could access all this-it is finding one in the UK that would be suitable. Thanks again for trying to help me.

Tony

Tony, in your circumstances I would contact LEICA UK https://www.leicastore-uk.co.uk/pages/customer-care  and explain the background to your request for help or advice. Leica Mayfair are in the process of moving to new premises, but you will get a response from them. Better still, if your live or work in London, telephone them to make an appointment to visit them at a suitable time. Almost certainly they will not carry spares for such an old camera. But they might well know who else is better able to help you. It is worth the effort.

I have a Digilux 2 camera, and that camera will only take SD cards up to 2Gb capacity; maybe the 'new' SD card you've formatted is too large to be recognised by the camera? I think the maximum card size for the Digilux 1 is smaller still, only 1Gb.

The only other possible answer I can think of is that you've inadvertently moved the 'lock' slider on the SD card.

Geoff

• Like 2

You said that you formatted your cards in your Mac didn't you? If i were in your shoes i would try to format an old 1GB or 2GB SD card in SD Formatter in the first place and try again to format it in the camera. Forgive me it is too simple again, i'm just trying to help. 

I did indeed format a card on my Mac but I am not familiar with "SD Formatter".  I will Google it to find out. Yes, I know that you are trying to help but you did suggest that I format a card in the camera when it was obvious that I could not do so. Nor did you previously mention "SD Formatter"" I'll try and find out more and let you know how I get on.