Recommendations for Some Defaults

jon m

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Took an excellent intro class yesterday at Tampa Museum of Photographic Arts and starting to build a foundation to work with.

Hoping some more experienced folks might share some ideas for defaults I can save as user profiles for different shooting situations, particularly Street/urban, landscape/architecture, and portrait/people, along with the logic behind your choices.  I’m just looking for a starting point and to build on what I learned, tweak and adjust as I find my own style

i did look through other threads here and elsewhere, just hoping for more specifics as to choices on aperture and/or shutter speed, for instance when using one of those as the priority, and related min/maxes.  But more-so, your logic behind the choices. 

Far as some general settings right now it feels most natural to me to use the back button for AEL, and shutter press or maybe lcd for focus lock, and AFs.

Edited by jon m

So in trying to start to answer my own question as I learn a little bit, here are some initial thoughts.  I'd love to have input from anyone who's logic'd this out also.

Also I understand much if not all of this is subjective and to-taste, so I'm more interested in how people arrived at their preferences.

I originally was thinking Users/Settings for different specific scenarios, like "Street", "Portrait", "Landscape/Architecture".  But now I'm starting to think maybe something like, "Shutter priority" (for control over motion/blur), "Aperture Priority" (for control of DoF), and "Nighttime" (to optimize settings for outdoor evening). 

For general purposes I'd probably shoot in Aperture Priority with auto iso set to cap at 6400 and shutter at 1/8.  Also I like back button for AEL, although I wish they'd allow configuring that for a lock-on-press opposed to having to hold it, which it a bit awkward to me.  I have OIS set to auto and shutter set to Extended, based on things I've read here matching what I think my needs will typically be.

I realize this is all newbie stuff to the veterans, but hey I'm having a good time and appreciate the value of mentoring.

Edited by jon m

On 1/28/2019 at 4:03 PM, jon m said:

"Also I like back button for AEL, although I wish they'd allow configuring that for a lock-on-press opposed to having to hold it, which it a bit awkward"

Could that be Firmware 3.1 fix?    Having to hold the back button down is very awkward, most especially for high or low shooting angles.