1.4X on focus leaking

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the 1.4x OVF magnifier on M9. It is so nice that the size through the OVF and the right eye matches the size of the naked left eye when using both eyes.

On M240, the focus peaking works very good through the EVF, but I really wish it to add the 1.4x besides the 1x, 5x and 10x.

I think Leica should support true 1X (1.?x be it 0.72x o 0.68x OVF) on EVF with focus leaking.   

11 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I had the 1.4x OVF magnifier on M9. It is so nice that the size through the OVF and the right eye matches the size of the naked left eye when using both eyes.
On M240, the focus peaking works very good through the EVF, but I really wish it to add the 1.4x besides the 1x, 5x and 10x.
I think Leica should support true 1X (1.?x be it 0.72x o 0.68x OVF) on EVF with focus leaking. 

The EVF "sees" through the lens as you know so 1.4x EVF magnification would be useful on one focal length only and would reduce the displayed field of view by the same factor i suspect. Best digital solutions to shoot both eyes open are optical magnifiers like yours or the Epson R-D1 with its 1:1 OVF but framelines cannot not be wider than 28mm (equiv. 40mm) on it. 

Unlike the OVF, the EVF will probably never able to give you = 1:1 ratio, simply because it renders 100% of your lens captures.  You OVF works that way because its focal length is static, but the EVF is dynamic.

I can imagine how cool is that when 1:1 with focus peaking.

I don't need to match the field of view. I only want to match the magnification.

When(if) EVF has the true 1X (or call it 1.4x w.r.t the OVF), say, with 90mm lens, the EVF will show dark outer frame. The image in EVF will be corresponding to the framed image in the OVF, but with true life size. 

That is, the image in EVF will be like the OVF without the unframed "environment" or "previewed" portion. That is OK, I can see that through my left eye, as long as my both eyes see the same magnification.

The EVF can only show what has been recorded by the sensor so no dark outer frame i'm afraid unless it has been recorded by the sensor but it would not be outer anymore ;). To shoot both eye open you would need something like a 75mm lens on the M240's EVF i suspect but i'm not sure of that.

Edited by lct

16 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I don't need to match the field of view. I only want to match the magnification.

When(if) EVF has the true 1X (or call it 1.4x w.r.t the OVF), say, with 90mm lens, the EVF will show dark outer frame. The image in EVF will be corresponding to the framed image in the OVF, but with true life size. 

That is, the image in EVF will be like the OVF without the unframed "environment" or "previewed" portion. That is OK, I can see that through my left eye, as long as my both eyes see the same magnification.

You want match magnification to what?

EVF is not 1X; EVF is full frame.  When you say 1x, that's what your other eye seeing.  FYI, your M9's OVF is 0.68x and you added 1.4x = 0.95x (almost 1x).  You are happy with that because it's closer to your other eye seeing (1x).  Do you open both of your eyes using rangefinder?  I am quite sure you do. 

What my understanding from the beginning is that you want EVF "autozoom" to your other eye's view + peaking base on 6-bit code.   If so, but it got to be an optional feature because many reasons or users want to see full frame.  It should not be difficult but depends on how Leica willing to make that happen.  Ummm ultra wide lenses could be more challenging and shaky...

On the M11 I hope they offer an option for an OVF @ 0.85 (M3 & M6)

As for focus peeking:

-If its a tripod situation - the rear screen magnified

-If not, do your best and and make many exposures.  Hopefully the best will match your intentions

On 1/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, Einst_Stein said:

While it is technically possible  to have the true 1x magnification in the EVF to help to shoot with both eyes opened, in further thought, It might be simpler to use EVF 10x in focusing then shift to OVF with 1.4x for framing.

You can try 90mm with EVF which I did, it's pretty much 1:1 to your other eye.  You will see 2 major problems, 1) image lag, 2) eye level difference, the sensor is about 2 inch lower so image is off alignment.  No dice! 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:15 AM, jaeger said:

You can try 90mm with EVF which I did, it's pretty much 1:1 to your other eye.  You will see 2 major problems, 1) image lag, 2) eye level difference, the sensor is about 2 inch lower so image is off alignment.  No dice! 

You are right.  

Anyway, I think it is not a big deal to shoot without matching magnification