Focomat 1 Questions

ash13brook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 minutes ago, ash13brook said:

I have that manual. It tells you that you might have to adjust the focus if you use a different lens, but then neglects to say how to do it!

The page entitled Automatic Focusing (p 8,9) describes how to adjust it for any lens. Two paragraphs below the ten steps mentions this. That paragraph should have been moved toward  the top, just under its claim (in red letters) that no adjustments are necessary for factory installed lenses.

http://www.digoliardi.net/focomat_1c_manual-page-8-9.jpg

Edited by pico

I did see that.

The problem I'm having is that mine will not achieve focus at any point without having the focusing mount completely out and the lens partly unscrewed.

I'm sure there must be a way to get it adjusted to back "in range" so that the auto focus could then be fine tuned.

Matt

21 hours ago, ash13brook said:

Would there be any reason I couldn't just get a couple of cheap 39mm filters, break the glass out and put them between the lens and extension to give me the leeway I need to focus? I'm completely unconcerned with the auto focus feature.

I probably have some longer extension rings for you, about double the distance of the one you have. I will never use them and you welcome to them, just postage from Europe . . .

Something else, I assume the Focomat I has a bellows? Does that come down when you bring down the enlarger?

Thanks so much for the offer. We're  thinking similarly. I ordered a 21.5 mm extension already, based on the assumption the one I have is 15mm.

The bellows does move when the enlarger head is brought down. I still feel there is some adjustment that can be made. But, I spent an hour with a flashlight looking at the mechanism and I sure can't figure any way.

I suppose it's very likely the lens/extension is not the same length as the original.

There is very little information about this model which as far as I can tell was the very first model made and pre-dates the 1a.

Thanks,

Matt

So...

Of course as soon as I order a longer extension tube, I find the "simple" adjustment I assumed I was missing.

I was staring at the enlarger, drinking a beer,  hoping a solution would appear to me.

Then, I noticed on the column, a very faint difference in the slight surface rust.

All this time I've been reading about putting a pin in a hole on the column, which my enlarger didnt have. I assumed it was made before that addition was made to the column.

So, I loosened the wing nut and raised the enlarger and...there they were. The mythical holes!

Now, since I'm using an easel shorter than the stock easel, which hole do I put my yet-to-be-purchased-first-thing-tomorrow pin?

Thanks for everyone's help so far,

Matt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So...

I put a pin in the lower hole. then I measured the height of my easel and cut a piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe to match that measurement. I cut it in two, put it around the column above the pin and put a radiator clamp on it. Then I eased the enlarger down on it and tightened it up.

It focused great right away at the 10x position. i lowered it to the 2x position, but i couldn't really see the grain. i raised it to what would make a 4x5 print and adjusted the focus there. Checked it again at 10x and it's perfect.

I don't have the little locks for the focusing ring, so probably won't really use the auto focus without using the grain focuser each time, but it should always be very close.

Thanks for everyone's input. It made me do a lot of thinking that eventually led to a great conclusion for me.

Now, I just have to fashion my filter holder and i'm in business.

Thanks, 

Matt

• Like 2

Matt,

Great !! Why we did not think of this, haha !

Re using a grain focuser with each negative is something I always do, it is a habit. I use several Focomats Ic and IIc and they're probably doing a perfect job focusing. But I use the grain focuser anyway. The stops I hardly look at and sometimes I find them annoying . . . I try to focus as close to the corners as possible. That gives me the best results.

This thread brought me back to why I like the Valoy II so much. No automatic focus, just a beautiful very large helicoid. Any lens in the 40mm / 60mm range will work. Simplicity! And the same results as the Focomats.

Matt,

Here the Ic with a Beseler filter holder. I just needed to drill another hole and I sawed off a corner in the back on the right . . . Omega made almost the same holder, except it is open on the front side and has a larger diameter still . . . These show up on Ebay all the time.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!