Focomat 1 Questions

ash13brook

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a Focomat 1(is this the same as a 1a?) about 15 years ago, but never got around to using it. I've done quite a bit of printing. Just not with this enlarger.

Now, I'm setting it up. I cleaned everything. The condenser looks great. it has a Focotar 4.5, which I've heard isn't great, but will do for now.

I need to rewire it, but that's no problem.

My questions :

a) Can I add the anti-Newton glass to this enlarger? Or do I need it?

b )There's no filter drawer, nor does it have the swinging filter holder under the lens. Can I cut VC filters to fit between the pins on the negative holder and slide them in on top of the negative holder before bringing the condenser down? Any other/better ideas?

c) There s a 75w bulb in it. The PH/211. Is this the correct bulb? I read a post where it was making exposures excessively long. I plan to try 16x20s at some point, but 11x14s regularly. Also, is there an LED alternative?

Thanks,

Matt

14 minutes ago, ash13brook said:

a) Can I add the anti-Newton glass to this enlarger? Or do I need it?

b )There's no filter drawer, nor does it have the swinging filter holder under the lens. Can I cut VC filters to fit between the pins on the negative holder and slide them in on top of the negative holder before bringing the condenser down? Any other/better ideas?

c) There s a 75w bulb in it. The PH/211. Is this the correct bulb? I read a post where it was making exposures excessively long. I plan to try 16x20s at some point, but 11x14s regularly. Also, is there an LED alternative?

Anti-Newton glass is not necessary.

Most variable-contrast filter kits include a filter holder that situates in front of the lens and includes a red filter.

75w is the standard bulb. To use a more powerful bulb safely you need the rare cooling bonnet/ventilator. You can search here for it, but finding one in real life is unlikely.

Edited by pico

There is a generally available PH212 (150 watts) that works well and was approved by Leitz.

For filters I have a holder that replaces the red filter. It screws into the same hole behind the lens as the red filter. Before I was given the filter holder, I used a discarded CD with an appropriate sized hole cut into it – it screwed into the same hole behind the lens (same one intended for the red filter). I then put the filters onto the CD. People sometime argue to put nothing below the lens – the Ilford filters are optically fine and make no optical difference.

• Thanks 1

Ok. I got it all wired up and working. I still have to make my filter holder.

Where the wiring goes into the top of the light head, there are 3 thumbscrews that allow the tube the wire goes into to rise and fall. At first I thought it was to make it easier to remove or install the bulb, but now I'm not sure.

Should the bulb be in the upper position or lower?

Thanks, 

Matt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are a couple of  pictures.

The label says Focomat 1.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It seems to be in good enough shape.

The little left and right locks for the autofocus are missing, but I think I'll just use it without worrying about autofocus.

Just rig a filter holder and have at it.

I'd still like to hear about anything anyone knows about it, though.

Thanks all,

Matt

That is a nice old Focomat.

I would put the lamp in the highest position first and project on a white surface. Focus the lens by getting the edges of the negative holder sharp. Then, when you close the lens at least two stops, you can judge yes or no even illumination. Should you need to improve, drop the lamp little by little until you get the best result.

To prevent Newton rings, you could cut from thin black pvc sheet a mask that covers the sides of the negative. Preventing contact between the glossy side of the negative and the condenser. I attach some pictures . . .

Michael's suggestion for the filter holder is also what I would do. The Ic has a M6 screw for it's red filter and I imagine your earlier Focomat will have the same. Leitz US actually did make an under-the-lens filter holder but it is very difficult to find. Omega and Beseler made such filter holders too and they are easy to modify.

You probably have a 5cm Focotar. Not the 50mm? For small sizes it will be okay, but you could consider to get any six element enlarger lens. Is there an extension ring between lens and enlarger?

The lens screws directly into helicoid(?) focuser.

I just checked it and for a 5x7, it will not quite focus grain, even with the focusing ring screwed all the way out. I dont think it does at the higher position, either, but it's closer. I assume I need to make an adjustment on the cam with the knurled screws on the right side?

Matt

Matt

I would wait a moment with adjusting anything.

When the lens is in position, do you feel it is too far up and inside the tube? Meaning you can hardly move the aperture ring? Or does it come down sufficiently?

I don't know the Focomat I, but the later models and for sure the Ic have an extension ring of about 1cm. This is to drop to the lens down to the correct position. Not using that distance ring was meant, I believe, for very small prints . . .

Have a look at this auction, perhaps the pictures tell you something? About the lens in particular.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Dunkelkammer-Ausrustung-mit-Leitz-Focomat/123607803399?hash=item1cc7996607:g:1IwAAOSwVAtcR5Aa:rk:16:pf:0

It does have an extension ring. 

To get it to focus on grain, I had to have the lens mount/focusing ring screwed out(extended) all the way, and then I had to start unscrewing the lens quite a bit before it finally focused.

Here's a picture of the lens and ring.

Matt

It is a 50mm lens.

I had to make it "longer" by screwing the focusing ring all the way out, then "longer" again by unscrewing the lens from the mount before it would focus grain.

Is it possible there are different extension rings and this one is too short?

Matt

The extension ring is (about) right.

Either your Focomat had a different lens system which does not work with the later Focotar you have, or your auto focus setting is way off.

You easel can't be the problem. Even it it differs from the Leitz easels, it should be possible to get the grain looking sharp.

Your enlarger could be from 1933, which is when production began. From then to the later Focomats 1c a lot changed. You say your Focotar is a 50mm, which means it was made later than 1950 (I think, but am not totally sure. For some reason I can't access Wiki here, which should have the correct information).

I have never seen a longer extension ring for normal use. They probably exist though for very small enlargements).

The autofocus is set by the knurled screw on the right. Correct?

Would there be any reason I couldn't just get a couple of cheap 39mm filters, break the glass out and put them between the lens and extension to give me the leeway I need to focus? I'm completely unconcerned with the auto focus feature.

Matt