Close-up lens/Elpro at the TL 35/1,4?

Ando

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hallo friends!

I have a question about the lens Summilux TL 35 / 1,4:
Has anyone ever used a close-up lens, an achromatic lens or Elpro on the lens?
And if yes:
What is your experience with image quality, bokeh, etc.?
Many Thanks

Andreas

Use a 52 to 60mm step down ring for the ELPRO 52 on a lens that takes a 60mm file size. 

I don't have either the Summilux-TL 35 nor the ELPRO 52. However, I acquired the ELPRO VIIa and VIIb close-up lens set a while back. I use them with adapters to fit to lenses that have 40.5mm, 46mm, 55mm, and 60mm filter threads, as well as lenses with the native Series VII thread. They are amongst the best performing close up lenses I've ever used, and I've been using close up lenses for a very long time. 

Since I don't have the TL35 or ELPRO 52, I can't report what they're performance is like but I expect it to be excellent. I do expect that the depth of field will be very thin and you'll have to stop down to get optimum performance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've used Marumi Achromats on multiple TL and SL lenses and they work exceptionally well ...... except for zooms at focal lengths of 100-135mm+ when they get very soft.

Marumi's have the advantage of multiple sizes so you can avoid vignetting by getting the next size up if you can't find one that fits the filter size exactly. 

I can't say I've paid much attention to bokeh ..... the DOF as Godfrey says is minuscule most of the time .... 

I have a drawer full and always take one with me in case I need a macro option as they are eminently portable. 

• Like 1

For example, photographed two bottles to show DOF. Images from lens 35mm f2 and close-up ELPRO2 (16542)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

# ramarren:

Eva (EUSe) from the german forum tells me that the TL 35 / 1.4 with the Elpro 52 (on adapter) produces strong shadowing.
She uses the Elpro 52 with the TL 23 and the TL 18-56. And she makes very nice pictures with that combination!

Edited by Ando

4 hours ago, Ando said:

# ramarren:

Eva (EUSe) from the german forum tells me that the TL 35 / 1.4 with the Elpro 52 (on adapter) produces strong shadowing.
She uses the Elpro 52 with the TL 23 and the TL 18-56. And she makes very nice pictures with that combination!

Since I don't have either that lens or that ELPRO, I have no way of seeing what she means without some photo examples. However, ultra-fast lenses like that are rarely the best to use close up lenses on, particularly wide open, and are very prone to vignetting when using undersized filters or lenses. 

My ELPROs are series VII, just a hair smaller than 54mm. When I use them with the Summilux-R 50 or Summicron-R 90 lenses (step down adapters), I stop down to at least f/4-f/5.6 for best results. 

Regardless, depending upon what I'm doing, sometimes the vignetting is irrelevant and I get very nice photographs anyway. :D

• Thanks 1