Evf out of focus

Yup..   It's here

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

A nice little trick is to adjust it for yourself in optimal conditions (good target, good light) and then to put a bit of nail polish on the adjuster in the center  of the rotation (i.e. 9 o’clock). Then, it’s a no brainer to re-set later, and to always check easily when you get camera.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

The solution I found was to make an ocular adjustment ring protector:

*I take no responsibility for cuts, burns or melted cameras - You are entirely on your own and are operating at your own risk*

Requires  40mm 3:1 heat shrink (length: 2 meters shortest I could find at Amazon)

A hair dryer with a high enough setting for heat shrink to activate (mine is best on low):

Using an Xacto knife-cut a uniform 4mm piece of heat shrink (resulting piece is 4mmx40). To assure an even cut - position the heatshrink clamped between a metal straight edge and 12X5X2 piece of soft wood. 

NEXT - Focus your ocular to where want it (I use a small watch screw driver (.5mm) between the teeth on the adjuster) not while I'm looking through the ocular getting the focus close +-, +-, until when I look through the ocular the background, menu etc are solidly in focus. 

Set the camera close-by but out of range of the upcoming 'heat-gun/hair dryer' exhaust which actually should be fairly minimal. 

The piece of 4mmX40mm heat shrink I loosely draped over a positioning screw on my vice and heated it with a hair-dryer set on low.

This is a trial/error process - when the heat shrink protector 'adjustment ring protector' looks a little smaller than the width of the ocular plus adjustment wheel move quickly: 

Carefully place the 'adjustment ring protector' right edge against the adjustment wheel and push the the adjustment ring protector edges down along the edges of the ocular until you have a snug fit. Check focus.

then, using aluminum foil over microfiber cloth, I fashioned a heat shield around the camera body, - top and back mostly - and, aiming the heat away from the glass and over the camera I then warmed the edges of the ocular ring protector to snug it down a little. Shouldn't take more than 30-45 secs -remember heat should be just high enough to cause the heat shrink to 'shrink' 

Perhaps some enterprising person with a 3D printer or an engineer at Leica could fashion an 'adjustment ring protector' that would be a little thicker etc. 

So far, it's holding - I have used my QP several times - adjustment ring protector is still attached - ocular still in focus.

• Like 1