Where the M10 excels ...

TheProf

To, me it's the balance of size, image quality, handling, build quality and simplicity of use which cannot be matched anywhere else.

Of course it can't do everything, but there is no other camera I would rather have with me for walking around on a daily basis.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M10 (as well as its prior iterations have several advantages..

1. It makes you think as a photographer

2. An array of splendid lenses

3. Small, stealthy, compact..

4. Well thought out and beautifully built.

5. Lasts forever and no real need for the next version... I usually wait for two cycles..

Albert 😥

• Like 3

I am new into Leica’s world. I have a Leica M10-P with two Leica lenses and I have a Sony A7R-III with Sony and Zeiss manual lenses (Loxia series). 

In my opinion you can have the manual experience too with another camera. You only have to use a manual lense and you will slow down to take a pic in the same way you do with the Leica. 

We can talk about Leica’s sex appeal, cam and lenses size, etc, but what made me feel in love with Leica was:

1- White balance. Much much better than Sony’s one IMO. 

2- Colours. I think Leica’s colours are more attractive than Sony’s or Nikon’s (I am a former Nikon owner with a Nikon D810). 

3- Noise. Yes, noise can be beautiful too for certain kind of pics. Again IMO, Leica’s noise is more similar to analogic photography grain than other brands  

Of course, there are other things that I think Leica is a step behind like dynamic range or high ISO (noise sometimes can be attractive but can be a problem too in certain circunstances). 

Of course, is only my opinion and I can be completely wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love the M10-P because it's small, stealthy and silent, but honestly I'm mostly attracted to the M lenses for their balance of size, rendering, and performance. I tried adapting them to Sony bodies and the SL, but it's no secret that M lenses perform the best on M bodies.  Although I don't mind shooting with a rangefinder, I slightly prefer an EVF nowadays as I get more keepers. It is what it is I guess. 

I also shoot with the Leica Q which is my primary carry. (it's currently the best digital Leica in my opinion) I also have a Fujifilm system to cover my zoom and video needs.

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Telemetric:

3- Noise. Yes, noise can be beautiful too for certain kind of pics. Again IMO, Leica’s noise is more similar to analogic photography grain than other brands

Yes, that organic noise. Only a matter of time until somebody brought it up. Thank you. I sometimes shoot at much higher ISO than necessary just to indulge in it. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Telemetric:

Of course, is only my opinion and I can be completely wrong. 

No, you’re spot on.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2019 at 1:24 PM, TheProf said:

The M10 is uniquely good at _______________________.

The M10 is uniquely good at being ergonomically similar to my M6.

The M10 is uniquely good at providing quick, accurate, and reliable full-frame manual focusing with the three M-mount lenses I own.

7 hours ago, Chaemono said:

Yes, that organic noise. Only a matter of time until somebody brought it up. Thank you. I sometimes shoot at much higher ISO than necessary just to indulge in it. 

No, you’re spot on.

The white balance is much better than Sony too. In fact, I think is Sony's bigger weak point.

35 minutes ago, Telemetric said:

The white balance is much better than Sony too. In fact, I think is Sony's bigger weak point.

I am not too sure about the white balance of m10. I used it once on a very sunny day (i had to squint my eyes type of sunny) near the sea and the jpegs were very blue. (I know i can perhaps use raw etc). Those from the iphone were more representative.

Just now, TG14 said:

I am not too sure about the white balance of m10. I used it once on a very sunny day (i had to squint my eyes type of sunny) near the sea and the jpegs were very blue. (I know i can perhaps use raw etc). Those from the iphone were more representative.

You should try the WB of the Sony A7RIII.... 🙈

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pico said:

As a retired computer programmer I got the M10 because I thought it was a natural digital M2. Go figure. In binary.

And WTF is the motive of the nubee OP? A class assignment?

Brilliant!! 

I am really ashamed that I didn’t see that. And I am an engineer by training and profession. Dealing with computers every day.

But I will stick to my M2 for now... for digital I already have M2-40. :D

White balance affects the exposure too. Even if you can change the colour dominant when you process the raw, is better to have an accurate WB in the camera to have a similar exposure in all set of pics. I like to take pics, process a raw file is something we have to do but I am not crazy about it, so I always try to have a raw file as better as possible to spend the minimum time possible processing them. :)

Like se say here “every teacher has his own book” :)