plasticman

Almost impulse-bought a T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I never kept the 18mm, but if I recall correctly, it was maybe the fastest of the T lenses.

It is the fastest AF wise. That's why I am wondering if it will bring enough speed to the T. 

I intend to use the T + TL 18mm as a bring with me everywhere pocketable camera.  I think that this combo will be faster (start up + AF)  to use than a D-Lux 7 and my iPhone 7 Plus. And quality wise, much better than these two. 

Edited by nicci78

I charged the battery in my T and found I had FW 1.8. (which updated the Summicron 23 on power on).
I updated then to FW 1.9. I tested with and without memory card and with and without the Visoflex fitted with both Firmware versions
I found that in FW 1.8 I saw no image preview, only a momentary blackout in the Visoflex as the file was saved (with memory card) and no preview displayed on the LCD while the Visoflex was active.
FW 1.9 adds an option for auto review duration or Off. in OFF I found That the preview now DOES appear in the Visoflex which is not what I expected and it still doesn't appear at all on the LCD if the Visoflex is active.
So as best as I can determine, for me, FW1.9, although it now has the AutoReview selectable OFF actually stopped that working as it did in FW1.8.
I don't know what I have missed or misunderstood in this testing

I decided to buy one anyway - though not from the local store. I went back there to buy it, but the assistants were 'busy' staring at screens and generally ignoring customers, so after a 10+ minute wait after I'd asked one person for help and been told they'd be over as soon as they were done, I walked out.

Now I ordered a much nicer-looking one from Germany.

Struggling to find the Novoflex adapter for sale in Europe though - even Novoflex themselves don't seem to sell them? Anyone know who has these? The Leica version just seems over-priced, as I don't need coding.

1 hour ago, plasticman said:

I decided to buy one anyway - though not from the local store. I went back there to buy it, but the assistants were 'busy' staring at screens and generally ignoring customers, so after a 10+ minute wait after I'd asked one person for help and been told they'd be over as soon as they were done, I walked out.

Now I ordered a much nicer-looking one from Germany.

Struggling to find the Novoflex adapter for sale in Europe though - even Novoflex themselves don't seem to sell them? Anyone know who has these? The Leica version just seems over-priced, as I don't need coding.

Congratulations!  I think you'll be quite happy. (Make certain that the software is updated for best performance. And,  shoot .dng, rather than jpeg.).  Share your impressions once you've become familiar. Rob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, plasticman said:

I decided to buy one anyway...

I've oft capitulated to my desires after my rationalization and common sense approach said "no No!" ... And nearly always enjoyed what my desires wanted regardless. Good luck with it! :D I was attracted to the T when it was first announced and could still see myself buying one at the current prices. But I'm going to stand firm and enjoy the CL, use it more instead.

I don't know about the T in this regard, but with the CL if you are using M lenses you need the Leica M Adapter L in order to get the much more convenient mechanism for focusing magnification assist with the control dial, never mind the lens profiles; third party adapters don't provide the same interface capability. At least in the USA, the cost of the Novoflex LET/LEM is $183 where the Leica M Adapter L is $395 (both easily available from B&H Photo) ... for the amount I use M and other manual lenses on the CL, the convenience and support is warranted. When I want to fit R lenses, or Nikkors, or any others, I get the Novoflex "X to M-mount" adapter. (Since my M is the M-D, I've taken some pains to have either get all coded M lenses or to code my M-mount lenses so as to get the automatic lens profile assignment as well as the correct or as close to correct lens entry in the EXIF data. So the extra premium for the M Adapter L's code reader is warranted by that too.)

None of which might make any difference to you. Enjoy your camera however you want to go with it! :)

42 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I don't know about the T in this regard, but with the CL if you are using M lenses you need the Leica M Adapter L in order to get the much more convenient mechanism for focusing magnification assist with the control dial, never mind the lens profiles; third party adapters don't provide the same interface capability.

Ah! I didn't know this. I'm not sure how often I'd use the zoom function - I certainly thought that at least sometimes I'd use it (say for static subjects) - but it's strange that a screen functionality (displaying only a part of the sensor readout) is dependent on the lens adapter(?) Oh well, I guess I'll put it down to Leica software eccentricity, if it's the case.

Like I said in the original post, the camera feels lovely in the hand, it's amazingly cheap, and the images I've seen look pretty much as good as any other digital camera. It's the accessories that make my eyes water...

edit: looking through some other posts on the forum, it seems like the camera does support focus-assist zooming even with third-party adapters:

Edited by plasticman

My adapter is an early one I think and marked M adapter T. I think otherwise identical to current ones. It  passes the info including lens profile to the T as well. 
On the CL you get focus assist and magnification too on moving the focus ring

On 1/22/2019 at 10:40 AM, hoppyman said:

I charged the battery in my T and found I had FW 1.8. (which updated the Summicron 23 on power on).
I updated then to FW 1.9. I tested with and without memory card and with and without the Visoflex fitted with both Firmware versions
I found that in FW 1.8 I saw no image preview, only a momentary blackout in the Visoflex as the file was saved (with memory card) and no preview displayed on the LCD while the Visoflex was active.
FW 1.9 adds an option for auto review duration or Off. in OFF I found That the preview now DOES appear in the Visoflex which is not what I expected and it still doesn't appear at all on the LCD if the Visoflex is active.
So as best as I can determine, for me, FW1.9, although it now has the AutoReview selectable OFF actually stopped that working as it did in FW1.8.
I don't know what I have missed or misunderstood in this testing

To add to this , I just tested again with my T with FW1.9 and 18-56 in AFs, Autoreview OFF, newly formatted 300MB/S SDHC and image preview still appears whether using Visoflex or not.
If someone has a T and this is important to you, I suggest that you try with FW1.8 first if possible

I just got my T. What a beauty, it put Q and CL in shame, build quality wise. 

Unfortunately last 1.9 firmware has indeed a bug. Less than 1 sec review is still present when turn to OFF, without Visoflex. But with the flash raised, no preview at all. Weird. 

When set to OFF, the buggy auto-review is faster than set to 1 sec. So we seem to get a 1/2 sec auto preview always on. 

When flash is raised, blackout is present but reasonnable, not really a problem. In fact not a problem at all, if you are used to set cameras in auto-review 1sec. It is the same. 

Hope for a firmware update though. 

T is slower in operation, compare to speed demons Q and CL. But it is usable. More about this later. 

Very compact and sleek design, with TL 2,8/18mm and without strap lug. It slips more easily in jacket pocket than the CL. 

Edited by nicci78

My T first impression review after 200 photos. Pop-up flash used for 70 of them.  It only drains less than a quarter of the never used before battery. 

On 1/18/2019 at 10:27 PM, plasticman said:

...I was in a local camera shop yesterday looking for a filter, and a used black T caught my eye in the display. I've never seen one in black before, and I have to say I couldn't conceive why anyone would choose the silver.

The assistant took it out, I switched it on and immediately fell in love with the menu-interface. I know I'm shallow - but what an amazingly beautiful camera - and the price was so low that I decided on the spot to buy it, to use with some M-lenses.....

On 1/22/2019 at 9:59 AM, plasticman said:

I decided to buy one anyway - though not from the local store. I went back there to buy it, but the assistants were 'busy' staring at screens and generally ignoring customers, so after a 10+ minute wait after I'd asked one person for help and been told they'd be over as soon as they were done, I walked out......

OK, since I´m in Stockholm as well (and despite your bad impression of the shop), I´d actually like to know what shop it was.  I´m half contemplating a T model, but not willing to pay the cost of a new TL2 just for a 2nd (3rd...) camera.  I may take a look -  if they´ll deign to acknowledge my humble presence, that is...😉

When I had my T, I converted it to IR, great camera for that. It was so good in fact that my little brother decided he will take it ... (we are always doing things like this)

I'm a CL user now but I do miss having the T around in Infrared... hmmm seems there is a sudden rise in used T purchases about to storm the lands, I better grab one quick hahaha.

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

Great idea 💡 T as IR camera, nice

So the T has an "IR" mode?   Does the CL?    Back nearly half a century ago I was big on ir photography.  It'd be cool to have that ability with a digital camera!

Of course not, you have to change the sensor filter first. 

Standard digital sensor filter blocks IR and UV.

But the T is cheap enough to consider such operation. 

Edited by nicci78

Not an impulse buy for me at all, but an added extra with the purchase of a TL 23mm.  A visit to eBay looking for a lightly used one turned up a new boxed TL and 23mm for less than the list price of the lens only (around £300 less in fact).  Now, I have never handled a T (or even seen one for real), really don't need one, actually thought there must be something wrong with the deal (if it looks too good to be true - it usually is), but package arrived this morning, absolutely as described.  I did have huge doubts, decided eBay and PayPal buyer protection was enough to take the risk, seller has very low feedback score with nine of the sets to sell.  I ordered and paid on Thursday afternoon and within an hour had had a message from him to say he would be sending out same day.   Netherlands to UK.

Now waiting for the battery to charge and then check the firmware, lens updated itself when attached to my CL.  Only telling the tale on here incase anyone else is looking for either the lens or a very very cheap TL. 

Edited by Boojay

3 hours ago, Boojay said:

A visit to eBay looking for a lightly used one turned up a new boxed TL and 23mm for less than the list price of the lens only (around £300 less in fact).  ... I did have huge doubts, decided eBay and PayPal buyer protection was enough to take the risk, seller has very low feedback score with nine of the sets to sell.  I ordered and paid on Thursday afternoon and within an hour had had a message from him to say he would be sending out same day.   Netherlands to UK.

Now waiting for the battery to charge and then check the firmware, lens updated itself when attached to my CL.  Only telling the tale on here incase anyone else is looking for either the lens or a very very cheap TL. 

A great deal - but don't really understand where a private person gets 15 Leica TL and Summicron 23 kits from? And sells them on eBay at this price? Must admit I'd be concerned - but then I'm over-cautious (which means I'd miss a bargain like this).