Almost impulse-bought a T

8 minutes ago, Petercoll said:

The TL2 auto review DOES have an off setting. Unfortunately Leica’s motto is ‘Das Wesentliche’ (keep it simple !!!!).

Then keep it black if this off setting does not work. Hard to believe that Leica can be that incompetent though.

40 minutes ago, plasticman said:

Haha I'd forgotten the charming tone of the forum - this reminded me why I haven't been around for a year. You did see how cautiously I asked whether the problem had been fixed?

As I said, I think unfortunately that this beautiful and uncomplicated camera isn't for me, much as I'd like it to be.

So several individuals told you that it is solved. But still doubt about it ? And keep referring to an old blog post ? 

Not sure to understand your point. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Black out? No, not with L lenses on the TL2 - just a flicker. As I've said, I don't have the adapter with me at the moment to test if it's different with M lenses. 

To those for whom this is vital: go and check it in a dealer to be certain.

To those who haven't been around the forum that long: courtesy in replying costs nothing. I have sympathy with Plasticman.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

So several individuals told you that it is solved. But still doubt about it ? And keep referring to an old blog post ? 

Not sure to understand your point. 

I don't want to get into a stupid catfight about this, because I don't have any skin in this game whatsoever. But for the record, the only person in this thread who's tested the behavior on the Leica T (not the TL or TL2), confirmed that the bug still happens:

"And, yes, when requesting "no review" it still leaves the taken image on the screen for a short duration.  (I was not as annoyed by this as was the reviewer)."

In any case, there's no need for the combative tone - even if you were correct. It would be much more interesting to hear that the bug has actually been addressed. I'd be delighted to hear it. It may surprise you, but not everyone who asks about a possible fault in a Leica camera is trolling (I own several).

9 minutes ago, plasticman said:

I don't want to get into a stupid catfight about this, because I don't have any skin in this game whatsoever. But for the record, the only person in this thread who's tested the behavior on the Leica T (not the TL or TL2), confirmed that the bug still happens:

"And, yes, when requesting "no review" it still leaves the taken image on the screen for a short duration.  (I was not as annoyed by this as was the reviewer)."

In any case, there's no need for the combative tone - even if you were correct. It would be much more interesting to hear that the bug has actually been addressed. I'd be delighted to hear it. It may surprise you, but not everyone who asks about a possible fault in a Leica camera is trolling (I own several).

You are absolutely correct.

If  you pass on this particular T,  now,  I'm sure there will be other similar options to be found should you have a change of heart.  Good luck with whichever direction you choose to go.  Either way, the T is a really beautiful and well-built camera capable of producing some wonderful images. Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Black out? No, not with L lenses on the TL2 - just a flicker. As I've said, I don't have the adapter with me at the moment to test if it's different with M lenses. 

Thank you. How long does this flicker last in your experience? Do you know if it is the same on the TL? Sorry to insist this way but i just try to understand.

2 hours ago, lct said:

Thank you. How long does this flicker last in your experience? Do you know if it is the same on the TL? Sorry to insist this way but i just try to understand.

Frankly it's too short to time - it's a flicker, a blink. I'm used to trying to estimate wake-up times for the M240, where I can estimate a half second, and this is negligible in comparison.

I've just a moment ago set it to manual focus and tried to see how quickly I can take single shots, and it is almost, not quite, as quick as I can press the shutter repeatedly. Any delay is in the camera readiness to respond to the shutter, not the speed at which LV reappears after each shot.

Given my inability to give anything other than a subjectively short estimate, it really calls for you to try it at a dealer.

I've never tried the TL - I've always assumed it was a rebadged T, but I could be wrong!

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Thanks 1

I think that we got lost here. 

People are talking about T, TL and TL2. We already know that TL2 is very fast and nice to use  

But the original question is about T or TL. As TL is exactly the same camera as the T (except for increase memory to 32GB and the name dispute with Deutsche Telekom T-Mobil brand) 

So does the T or TL with latest firmware 1.9 installed, have a very annoying blackout when auto review is set to off. 

If yes how long it is ? 

Thanks in advanced. 

34 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Frankly it's too short to time - it's a flicker, a blink. I'm used to trying to estimate wake-up times for the M240, where I can estimate a half second, and this is negligible in comparison.
I've just a moment ago set it to manual focus and tried to see how quickly I can take single shots, and it is almost, not quite, as quick as I can press the shutter repeatedly. Any delay is in the camera readiness to respond to the shutter, not the speed at which LV reappears after each shot.
Given my inability to give anything other than a subjectively short estimate, it really calls for you to try it at a dealer.
I've never tried the TL - I've always assumed it was a rebadged T, but I could be wrong!

Thank you Paul, much appreciated.

I remember this old topic.

Only way to solve it, was to use very fast card and to do not use slow internal memory. 

So blackout duration is SD card speed dependant. We still don’t know about 1.9 firmware situation. 

Maybe blogger guy use very slow SD with its T, resulting in abysmal blackout. Really best way to know Plasticman, is to ask the blogger directly 

As far as blackouts are concerned, memory cards are not culprit in my modest experience. Unless the 1.9 firmware did miracles, the T and TL are just another examples of sluggish Leica gear apparently. My little Pana LX100 does much better. 

I will get my T tomorrow or the day after. 

I’ve got plenty of fast SDs. I will told you so for sure.

The Leica shop was kind enough to install 1.9 firmware, and assure me that it is working properly. He also confirmed me that there is absolutely no difference in operation between T and TL except  : new name, titanium finish, chamfered edges and 32GB instead of 16GB internal memory. 

I will compare the T with my Q and CL. To see how usable it is, against these Leica speed demons. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1