Experiences with Leica service

Ashkanani1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Update: M10 is now on the way back from Germany. Two full months with special attention (and several months before that where the camera was somehow not worked on at all). Expecting a hefty bill. 

I'm really glad Leica reached out but as it stands this level of service for a small broken part isn't an acceptable service turnaround from a camera company, much less one that sells cameras for $7k+. 

Edited by sdw

15 hours ago, wattsy said:

Useful contribution. Which of the dwarves was called Smug? (By the way, I think you meant Snow White.)

If there were a dwarf named “Smug” he would not have been the one I would pick. :)

I dropped my M 50/1.4 ASPH on a hardwood floor. Dented the heck out of the hood. Seemed okay otherwise.

I was in Vegas and mentioned it at the Leica store. They shipped it out for me, and Leica repaired it for free under warranty. I paid $0, including shipping both ways.

It took a few months for them to turn it around, but the damage was clearly my fault, and they fixed it for free anyway.

• Like 2

I'd like to share a fantastic Leica NJ customer service story. My M10P was sent to Germany a couple of weeks ago to replace the roller/RF assembly and when Wetzler was packing my camera to return to me they dented the top plate. Leica NJ rejected the notion of Wetzler replacing the top plate and instead over night shipped me a brand new one.

A+ 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 9:51 PM, SMAL said:

I visited Leica Wetzlar personally and one of the guys in the CS told me to write „Professional“ on the box the camera comes shipped in and they will prioritize it. They are also working on a better customer service for professionals in the future but he had no details for me.

I mentioned the same concernes you have and told them that their long turnaround time is bad for professionals.

Not being funny, but why does a professional that spent the same money as me on one of their products get special treatment? Doesn't that kind of put the middle finger to anyone not shooting "professionally"? Isn't that illegal to discriminate like that professionally? if not, it should be!

vor 49 Minuten schrieb Simonedwards:

Not being funny, but why does a professional that spent the same money as me on one of their products get special treatment? Doesn't that kind of put the middle finger to anyone not shooting "professionally"? Isn't that illegal to discriminate like that professionally? if not, it should be!

Cause a professional relies on his equipment and is in most cases probably more invested in Leica gear than an amateur.

All other professional services have check lists and you need to have a certain amount of professional gear to apply to the pro service. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/5/2019 at 12:51 PM, Mark II said:

I withdraw that endorsement.

I shot two test films over the weekend, including checks for the rangefinder calibration. And the M7 has come back with almost 20cm of front focus when checked with a known good 50LUX and a test chart at ~1.5m distance. That camera has been around the world twice and used by me for five years, yet the first time I see a focus calibration issue is only *after* Leica "professionally" serviced it, which included recalibration of the rangefinder. 😤

I can not afford another 4 to 6 weeks without the camera, so I will have to recalibrate it myself. It really sucks to have this level of quality control, not least given the prices Leica charge for out-of-warranty servicing and the time it takes. 

Well it gets better.

I recalibrated the focus successfully, and the camera can now take sharp pictures with a 50mm f1.4.

But tonight I was out shooting at night and I was wondering why the metering suggested that it was brighter than usual. It turns out that if I stick the lens cap on and set ISO to 1600 the camera thinks I need 1/125th second for correct exposure. On dark streets where I normally expect 1/60th second at f1.4 the meter says 1/180th - even if I stop down to f16 😡😡😡

The camera was sent in for shutter curtain replacement, but it came back with two new and unrelated defects. I need to send some rather angry emails in the morning: this is completely unacceptable given the cost and duration of the repair.

On 3/9/2019 at 7:10 PM, dkmoore said:

I'd like to share a fantastic Leica NJ customer service story. My M10P was sent to Germany a couple of weeks ago to replace the roller/RF assembly and when Wetzler was packing my camera to return to me they dented the top plate. Leica NJ rejected the notion of Wetzler replacing the top plate and instead over night shipped me a brand new one.

A+ 

Unfortunately there seems to be a couple of negative stories of bad service/repair lately.

The new M10P I was sent had issues with the rangefinder and so back to Leica NJ it went. Leica would have had a very upset customer but they replaced the entire rangefinder, seals, and whatever else within 3 business days and over night shipped my camera. Everything seems ok but will do further testing tomorrow.

I am ok with mistakes if the company jumps through hoops to make it right. Nice job Leica NJ. 

Now, why have I had two defective M10Ps is beyond me.... I've  had M9, M9M, m240, M240P, M246, M10, and no rangefinder issues until the M10P. BLAH.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to follow up to this: after using my M10 in the rain (which all of my previous Ms have handled perfectly fine including my M10 in the past), I found it completely dead. The top plate they replaced in my repair, that took 4 months, wasn't properly sealed it seems. Water went through the entire camera, and pooled up at the bottom. 

I've never seen anything like this with a camera. It's a very obviously botched repair. I cannot believe Leica's repair service. How can you ever rely on this company to fix their products? 

14 minutes ago, sdw said:

I just want to follow up to this: after using my M10 in the rain (which all of my previous Ms have handled perfectly fine including my M10 in the past), I found it completely dead. The top plate they replaced in my repair, that took 4 months, wasn't properly sealed it seems. Water went through the entire camera, and pooled up at the bottom. 

I've never seen anything like this with a camera. It's a very obviously botched repair. I cannot believe Leica's repair service. How can you ever rely on this company to fix their products? 

Why would they replace your top plate for a stuck lens release button?

• jaapv changed the title to Experiences with Leica service

That's a very good question. They replaced the entire lens bayonet assembly and top plate. You don't have say in this, and there was no communication whatsoever. It came close to $2000 in repair fees. 

On 1/25/2019 at 6:41 PM, jaapv said:

I agree. Leica may have made a mistake, or the dealer in sending, but it is unforgivable that the dealer didn't follow up and notify the customer.

I had a couple of negative experiences with this dealer a couple of years ago and haven't gone back. I won't elaborate because they aren't here to defend themselves but I agree that they failed SDW for sure.

4 hours ago, sdw said:

That's a very good question. They replaced the entire lens bayonet assembly and top plate. You don't have say in this, and there was no communication whatsoever. It came close to $2000 in repair fees. 

We are missing some backstory here. I read through the thread and couldn't locate anything in reference to how you damaged the camera.

You must have dropped it for them to have to replace the top plate and lens bayonet.

If you didn't drop it, then they mixed up your camera with someone else's. Have you compared the serial number to your box to make sure you got the right camera back?

On 3/19/2019 at 11:41 AM, SMAL said:

Cause a professional relies on his equipment and is in most cases probably more invested in Leica gear than an amateur.

All other professional services have check lists and you need to have a certain amount of professional gear to apply to the pro service. 

The rationale for this is not that processionals buy more equipment than most others. Rather, it's that they rely on functioning equipment to make a living. Leica once had a "Leica Professional" program which I was a member of for many years. In order to be registered for it I had to provide several examples of published work, letterhead and business cards and a portfolio (Later it was changed to a web presence).  Credit card information was also required. In return, pros were given priority turnaround, without which we would have been hampered in our ability to make a living. I'm now retired so I don't know if Leica still has a Professional program. Both Nikon and Canon have them and I expect there are others (Sony?) I don't know about. I realize this doesn't seem fair to some people, but in my opinion the suggestion that everyone send their cameras in with "Professional" written on the box is deceitful and in poor taste.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb dkmoore:

Why would they replace your top plate for a stuck lens release button?

If the camera was drowned with water, not seemed obvious for me, that they replace the top plate. The Electronics attached to the plate are compromised and it's easier fro them to replace this piece, than clean it and put in new electronics. The old plate they put in recycle.  When you ask nicely, you can ask your old plate back. See picture:DSC_0385.pdf

Edited by Paulus

vor 10 Stunden schrieb sdw:

Leica , as far as I know, always repairs a camera in such way,  that it will be " perfect" like new.   You don't have anything to say in this. But they give you a year guaranty on the whole camera after repair, so they have to do everything " by the book " . 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb fotografr:

The rationale for this is not that processionals buy more equipment than most others. Rather, it's that they rely on functioning equipment to make a living. Leica once had a "Leica Professional" program which I was a member of for many years. In order to be registered for it I had to provide several examples of published work, letterhead and business cards and a portfolio (Later it was changed to a web presence).  Credit card information was also required. In return, pros were given priority turnaround, without which we would have been hampered in our ability to make a living. I'm now retired so I don't know if Leica still has a Professional program. Both Nikon and Canon have them and I expect there are others (Sony?) I don't know about. I realize this doesn't seem fair to some people, but in my opinion the suggestion that everyone send their cameras in with "Professional" written on the box is deceitful and in poor taste.

If you pay € 100,- extra, Leica will repair the same day and sent it back if you. If you  bring the camera to Wetzlar.This is for every client, pro or not I understand from a friend who did it this way. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paulus said:

If the camera was drowned with water, not seemed obvious for me, that they replace the top plate. The Electronics attached to the plate are compromised and it's easier fro them to replace this piece, than clean it and put in new electronics. The old plate they put in recycle.  When you ask nicely, you can ask your old plate back. See picture:DSC_0385.pdf

I must have misread. I thought the water damage came after the repair. I 100% agree with you if I got the timeline wrong. 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb dkmoore:

I must have misread. I thought the water damage came after the repair. I 100% agree with you if I got the timeline wrong. 

Maybe I misread it. I think. I understand that the water came in after the camera was repaired. Strange but possible. 

vor 22 Stunden schrieb sdw:

Wat was the initial problem of the camera, before Leica made a wrong repair and you were able to drown the camera faster?