Experiences with Leica service

Ashkanani1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

22 hours ago, pgk said:

Actually with the excepions of an M8 sensor remap, replacement sensors on both M9s and physical damage, my digital Leicas have proven very reliable indeed.

...with any other brand, no one would after those problems call "reliable".

I've had in last 10 years Canon 5D x3 , 5DII x3, 5DIII x3 and 5DIV x2. Once shutter broke during the warranty time. Equipment has been calibrated almost annually which takes 2 days.

From lenses I've had one defect, which is good when I've had 10+ lenses.

I've seen too many similar stories than mine and I'm bit hesitant to believe that I'm just "unlucky".

Leica has poor QA and with long service times, the combination is something no one should accept regardless the price.

Edited by oka
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Paulus said:

I hope it was not in one year. But you must have a great marriage, thinking like this. 

It was in one year and yes, Leica is something I can’t rationally justify. It’s addiction 😅

...and I think it’s one of the reason why many use Leica, even when it’s sometimes quite a hassle.

1 hour ago, oka said:

...with any other brand, no one would after those problems call "reliable".

Nonsense. One remap needed because it was a first digital camera which was not as mature as it needed to be - people forget that the M8 was groundbreaking. And sensor failures were as a result of a supplier problem, again Leica were hardly blameable given the very limited number of sensor suppliers. And my Leicas do get used, heavily at times. If you look online and take the complaints about any digital camera in an unfiltered and unmeasured way you will find that most exhibit faults and problems. Quantifying these is notoriously difficult and probably only the manufacturers are really aware of % failures of components.

I have had Nikon, Canon and Leica pro servicing experience. Leica wins hands down, believe me. I have used Canon gear too, since the 1DS and never needed any 'recalibration' of any description. And despite its downsides the M8 continues to attract high prices and from the forum its clear that many still use it. I have a number of dSLRs a year or two older than the M8 all of which are well beyond any economic repair for reasons to do with parts issues and the cost of labour versus value. One problem here is that many take a short term view of gear rather than try to see its viability over a lengthier period.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pgk said:

Dead end though, unlike the M8. Epson didn't go on to produce a FF dRF.

Mores the pity, it was as much an experiment, had they kept those dials and needles on a FF version I would not have been alone in snapping one up. 

A classic nonetheless, I feel. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed, but we forget how difficult the transition was for businesses like Leica. I remember speaking to someone in Leica UK a couple of years before the M8 finally appeared to ask if and when a dRF would appear to which the reply was in effect 'as soon as it can be made but its taking time because its simply not as easy task' and 'we could sell a lot now, if it was available'. Credit to Leica for building the first of a very successful lineup of cameras indeed. They remain a small player in a global market but are expected to compete in every way and not even to have the technical problems which all camera manufacturers face.

• Like 2

Latest update 

I am in contact now with the customer service and apparently it was one time miss communication in internal Wetzlar part and indeed they apologize and are in the process of dealing with the issue to be honest I am receiving a great service and communication now from customer care better than anything I have experience before, I think I made a mistake with miss judging them as it was my first experience with customer care, but really now its completely different experience.

• Like 3

They are a large and growing company. However this is not an excuse.

I have always sent my cameras back via the dealer, in this case David Farkas at Leica Miami. I have never had an problem with a repair.

While writing Professional may be helpful, putting your dealer in the middle of the transaction is very very effective.

Albert 😏

FWIW, if you are a professional photographer, then apply for an account with Leica, supplying company number, VAT details etc then life becomes much easier. I have sent in lenses Ive dropped etc (smashed front elements) and I get them back from initial email to receiving DHL package within 10 days..Commuication is good and I'm kept up to date, with its status.

If in the UK and its a simple lens issue (infinity focus, cleaning, relube etc)  or with film cameras then phone Aperture (UK)    they are near Tottenhamn Court Road tube station

On a quiet day, they can fix things while you wait..

vor 31 Minuten schrieb albertknappmd:

They are a large and growing company. However this is not an excuse.

I have always sent my cameras back via the dealer, in this case David Farkas at Leica Miami. I have never had an problem with a repair.

While writing Professional may be helpful, putting your dealer in the middle of the transaction is very very effective.

Albert 😏

Why is it very effective? Doesn't this depend on the behavior of the dealer? IMHO the behavior of Leica stays the same: 

vor 10 Minuten schrieb douglas fry:

FWIW, if you are a professional photographer, then apply for an account with Leica, supplying company number, VAT details etc then life becomes much easier. I have sent in lenses Ive dropped etc (smashed front elements) and I get them back from initial email to receiving DHL package within 10 days..Commuication is good and I'm kept up to date, with its status.

If in the UK and its a simple lens issue (infinity focus, cleaning, relube etc)  or with film cameras then phone Aperture (UK)    they are near Tottenhamn Court Road tube station

On a quiet day, they can fix things while you wait..

".Communication is good and I'm kept up to date, with its status."   The status update is also for non Professionals and communication is the same. At least, I have never enlisted as a professional, ( Maybe if you are around long enough , one gets "professional " status? Leica knows what I bought de last decades in their system " Kundenservice "  )  but the service is great.

5 hours ago, Paulus said:

Why is it very effective? Doesn't this depend on the behavior of the dealer? IMHO the behavior of Leica stays the same: 

I suspect that it is a function of the relationship between the said dealer and Wetzlar...

Simple as that.. It has worked nicely for me for many years and I pass it on to the members of the Forum.

Albert 😏

vor 1 Stunde schrieb albertknappmd:

I suspect that it is a function of the relationship between the said dealer and Wetzlar...

Simple as that.. It has worked nicely for me for many years and I pass it on to the members of the Forum.

Albert 😏

In this case, there is no dealer, the OP bought the camera direct from the factory. Are you advising, not to buy direct from the factory? 

Cast contentions as you wish, but when a Leica fails me it goes into a resting place in the cabinet labeled as 'failure'.. I do not pursue remedies.

There are far fewer brands of failure in the bin than Leicas.

Edited by pico

Sent my camera in to get repaired in October. 

It just came back stating 'customer declined repair'. I didn't communicate with them once. Still nothing fixed. I've owned four different Leica bodies now. This is such a ridiculously awful show of service and customer support that I'm beyond furious. This company should be horribly ashamed of themselves. 

• jaapv changed the title to Experiences with Leica service