Experiences with Leica service

Ashkanani1985

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 9 Stunden schrieb sdw:

Sent my camera in to get repaired in October. 

It just came back stating 'customer declined repair'. I didn't communicate with them once. Still nothing fixed. I've owned four different Leica bodies now. This is such a ridiculously awful show of service and customer support that I'm beyond furious. This company should be horribly ashamed of themselves. 

I think it's important to say where you have sent the Camera.18 Oktober is a long time especially when repair time at this moment is around 4 weeks.  Maybe, there is one person somewhere who doesn't do his job right and I'm sure, that Leica HQ cannot control all their dealers in this way. Leica reads these pages too.

Leica probably didn't get a response to their estimate. Nor to their notification of receipt. You should have inquired.

Packages get lost, email addresses are misspelled, emails disappear into cyberlimbo and spam filters...  🙄  Ask!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

Leica probably didn't get a response to their estimate. Nor to their notification of receipt. You should have inquired.

Packages get lost, email addresses are misspelled, emails disappear into cyberlimbo and spam filters...  🙄  Ask!

...well depends, if you send the devices to the service using the dealer, dealer and Leica is responsible on the communication for the client. If you send the device by your self directly to the Germany, then yes... I would have contacted them directly after few weeks to get the confirmation at least if they have received the package.

13 hours ago, sdw said:

Sent my camera in to get repaired in October. 

It just came back stating 'customer declined repair'. I didn't communicate with them once. Still nothing fixed. I've owned four different Leica bodies now. This is such a ridiculously awful show of service and customer support that I'm beyond furious. This company should be horribly ashamed of themselves. 

one week ago I was in your position and I had all the thought that you having now than it turn up to be just an internal mistake that can happen between here and there and to be honest I am now receiving one of the best experience of customer service ever with any manufacturer so I advice you to do what the other member advised me to do and worked, call them and ask about it even though your camera has been shipped from October how come you stayed 3 month without contact and did not ask about it ?!

1 hour ago, oka said:

...well depends, if you send the devices to the service using the dealer, dealer and Leica is responsible on the communication for the client. If you send the device by your self directly to the Germany, then yes... I would have contacted them directly after few weeks to get the confirmation at least if they have received the package.

In that case one should contact the dealer. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Latest Update 

I receive a web link with order number that I can enter the order number and follow exactly what is going with my camera something really really nice and another PDF with the exact inspection of the camera and what will be fix or changed and estimate time of release. they even offer to replace the camera at the beginning if the defected item need too much time to be replace.

I can not express how much I am satisfied  with the service now and to be honest I did not even expected to be this good even before buying Leica 

• Like 1

Now if Leica really is initiating a new repair progress monitoring system like this (order number and website tracking) that would be a giant leap forward!

It would be even better if it was for mere mortals (amateurs) and you didn't have to either label your package as 'Professional' (a ridiculous idea - why do amateurs deserve worse service?) or complain on the Leica Forum!

If Leica are cleaning out the Augean stables of its US customer service operation, as appears to be the case, then perhaps it will be bringing its in-house service operation into the 21st century. Will we no longer need to know the name, email address and direct phone line of a specific individual in Wetzlar to find out what's happening?

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Now if Leica really is initiating a new repair progress monitoring system like this (order number and website tracking) that would be a giant leap forward!

It would be even better if it was for mere mortals (amateurs) and you didn't have to either label your package as 'Professional' (a ridiculous idea - why do amateurs deserve worse service?) or complain on the Leica Forum!

If Leica are cleaning out the Augean stables of its US customer service operation, as appears to be the case, then perhaps it will be bringing its in-house service operation into the 21st century. Will we no longer need to know the name, email address and direct phone line of a specific individual in Wetzlar to find out what's happening?

I did not label the package with anything but from the conversation I had I realize that sending via DHL or Fedex will save so much time as custom progress in Wetzlar will be much faster compare to normal postal service.

regarding the monitor system is active now and I am using it to monitor the progress of my camera 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Ashkanani1985:

Latest Update 

I receive a web link with order number that I can enter the order number and follow exactly what is going with my camera something really really nice and another PDF with the exact inspection of the camera and what will be fix or changed and estimate time of release. they even offer to replace the camera at the beginning if the defected item need too much time to be replace.

I can not express how much I am satisfied  with the service now and to be honest I did not even expected to be this good even before buying Leica 

Yes , to my knowledge, this is normal procedure the moment the package has arrived and the chain is in motion.  

• Thanks 1

I sent it through a dealer — Leica SF — which routinely handles repairs. They said they didn't get communication from Leica, which I believe. 

Why I didn't call them? Because previous repairs took this long or longer. My WATE was in for repairs and took EIGHTEEN MONTHS to get back. My M(240) went in for four or five in 2014. Who has a phone number I can call? I'm close to giving up on the brand altogether at this point. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb sdw:

I sent it through a dealer — Leica SF — which routinely handles repairs. They said they didn't get communication from Leica, which I believe. 

Why I didn't call them? Because previous repairs took this long or longer. My WATE was in for repairs and took EIGHTEEN MONTHS to get back. My M(240) went in for four or five in 2014. Who has a phone number I can call? I'm close to giving up on the brand altogether at this point. 

You should stop relying on your dealers then. These waiting times are in no way reasonable. Seems more like your dealers are doing a bad job at service. 

Here is the number of Leica CS in Wetzlar.

+49 6441 2080-189

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sdw said:

So why did they not check with Leica? Not the best of service, to put it mildly. I gave up on dealers a long time ago.

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb sdw:

"which routinely handles repairs?"  What do you mean. Is it routine for them to wait so long on their packages? 

I would never visit such a dealer again if he played such a trick on me , and would mail Leica CS to ask precisely what is the problem.Instead of complaining about Leica, I would start my own investigation who has deprived me of my gear for so long. It's good to believe someone, but IMHO only as long as it doesn't you cost to much  time or money. 

Maybe the dealer or one person working there just doesn't care.Something to do with :" Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance" ?

• Like 1

My Summilux 50mm lens suddenly developed a loose lens barrel. I sent it to the NJ Leica repair center and the lens was shipped back to me after they had it for one day. The lens arrived in great shape, good as new after the repairs. This was pretty impressive, in my case.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

On 1/24/2019 at 4:11 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

Via Wetzlar, this has been the process for at least a couple of years now. It is not terribly helpful, as the site will eventually go to a state that will last for weeks/months showing the items as under repair - with no further information about progress until everything is complete. Given that the actual repairs take typically a few hours, most of that time is presumably your equipment sitting on a shelf waiting to be looked at.

I just sent in a film camera and lens, after being advised that service times are currently 6-8 weeks (it may be less for digital). At Photokina I talked with a number of the staff, and they indicated that I should contact the service department ahead of time to indicate if something was critical, such as use in a project. But in the end I decided that the best way forward was to set up a pair of (non-Leica) backup cameras because I am not comfortable with this rather arbitrary and un-guaranteed process.

To put things in context, with Canon I had a guaranteed 48 hour turn-around time on repairs or, failing that, replacement/loan equipment. With Leica, it took that long just to acknowledge that they had received the items that I sent them...

Thanks for the info (and reach out via PM), I am going to follow up with Leica to see what's up. I have previously emailed Leica directly, and asked the dealer and was told my experience was normal. Perhaps a recent development to improve this? I can only hope. So far, nothing though. 

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Experiences with Leica service