Latest SL2 rumor: nearly a year away

bags27

Waiting on a Summicron or two myself. My SL has been faultless in operation so far over quite a few thousand frames. If the hypothetical SL2 does reach market at some point, I think the biggest change I would like to see would be a more rounded, smoother body design and some size/ weight reduction. Call on the S designers for body shape. My last shoot was with SL on tripod in portrait mode. I had quite a fatigued and sore hand by about 1000 frames , operating back button and release. If I add the battery grip I can’t use it on tripod the same way.

Edited by hoppyman

1 hour ago, hoppyman said:

Call on the S designers for body shape. 

Some within Leica pushed for a mini S design when the SL was being formulated  (I remember the comment, but not the source).  

Dr. Kaufmann has since stated (LuLa interview with Kevin Raber) that the SL2 will be more ‘elegant’ and ‘less brutal like with an axe’ than the current design. 

Jeff

1 hour ago, Chaemono said:

Neither am I but I’d say so far it’s 1:0 to L-rumors. 

LR was pretty much on the money from the M9, as far as I recall, to the recent CM debacle.  Leica even previewed the Q for them in advance of any announcement. So, many years of success blown up....at least from a timing standpoint.

Jeff

The SL successor may have been flagged last year but will it actually happen?

That may be easier to judge once the Lumix S1/S1R cameras are out in the wild and they've been tested with SL glass. If L-mount compatibility is seamless and Leica can't trump the technical feature set, the image quality or significantly exceed the build quality of the Lumix cameras with an SL2 then will they sell enough cameras to justify making them?

Leica make good money out of sales of SL glass, sales that will increase significantly if the S1/S1R prove to be as good as the pre full announcement hype would have us believe. By their continued silence on the subject of an SL2 Leica aren't doing themselves any favours in my book and I am really concerned that, with the future assured for owners of SL glass via Lumix bodies, Leica will see no financial reason to proceed with the launch of the SL2 and that's a really uncomfortable thought.

Come on Leica. The L-mount alliance has changed the ground rules so would it really be so hard for you to confirm the launch of an SL2 together with the approximate timeline? I doubt anyone would expect much in the way of detail, just a confirmation that you are still in the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Andersson said:

That may be easier to judge once the Lumix S1/S1R cameras are out in the wild and they've been tested with SL glass. If L-mount compatibility is seamless and Leica can't trump the technical feature set, the image quality or significantly exceed the build quality of the Lumix cameras with an SL2 then will they sell enough cameras to justify making them?

Leica make good money out of sales of SL glass, sales that will increase significantly if the S1/S1R prove to be as good as the pre full announcement hype would have us believe. By their continued silence on the subject of an SL2 Leica aren't doing themselves any favours in my book and I am really concerned that, with the future assured for owners of SL glass via Lumix bodies, Leica will see no financial reason to proceed with the launch of the SL2 and that's a really uncomfortable thought.

Come on Leica. The L-mount alliance has changed the ground rules so would it really be so hard for you to confirm the launch of an SL2 together with the approximate timeline? I doubt anyone would expect much in the way of detail, just a confirmation that you are still in the game.

SL2 will come, no doubt about that - coming from Dr Kaufman (Lula interview in 2018). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Andersson said:

No need to be such a pessimist. The sky is not falling!

There will be a successor to the SL, and it will be different from Panasonic's cameras. Some of the electronics may be shared, but you know the Leica will have a completely different UI, and it will probably be built in an innovative, if expensive, way. Not many cameras are built from aluminum billet like the current SL.

The next SL will also benefit from Leica colour choices and will be optimized for the use of M lenses.

History shows that it would be a mistake for Leica to announce the next SL before it is ready. They have been heavily criticized for that in the past. It would also be a mistake for them to release a new SL that isn't a significant improvement over the current SL. Sure, Sony releases an "all new" body every 4 months, but their residual values are terrible. Leica owners would be mad as hell if their expensive cameras were devalued so quickly.

In short: enjoy your SL now. It's still a cutting-edge camera (no pun intended!), and will remain so after the S1 comes out.

• Like 2

I hope you are both right. I've yet to hold an S1/S1R in hand but looking at it from afar it doesn't appeal.

You know, if Leica just popped a 24MP sensor into the SL with an extra stop or two of dynamic range I'd be a happy camper. If they also added IBIS and called the resulting camera an SL2 I'd probably buy the camp-site! 😀

Stephan Schulz is the product manager for the SL (and S), as well as for the L-Mount alliance, and he has already addressed these questions and concerns...

So, no worries.  Just a matter of time (typically 3-4 year product cycle “depending how ambitious” they are, according to Stephan).    Four years would be this coming Fall.

Jeff

• Like 1