Anyone tried the Elpro E52 on the X Vario?

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Experimented in my kitchen today with the 7 diopter Leica E52 ELPRO supplementary close up lens, attached to the X Vario lens (using XV at 70mm focal length) via a 43mm to 52mm stepping ring, and ascertained that following magnifications are possible:

At furthest possible focusing distance, magnification = approx. 0.3 , i.e. 3/10 life size on the sensor … approximates to one third life size 

At closest possible focusing distance , magnification = approx 0.5, i.e. 1/2 life size on the sensor. 

These were Q&D experiments, handheld, focusing on the cm/mm graduations on a tape measure, and comparing the focused width to the actual 2.36 cm APC-C sensor width. 

Now plan to use the XV plus E52 Elpro 'in the field' and will post images in due course.

One third  to half life size should be adequate for medium and small size insects and flower heads. 

Previously I've experimented using the XV with various Leica R Elpros i.e. the Elpro 1 and VIa (both 2.51 diopters), Elpro 2 and VIb (both 4.92 diopters) Elpro 3/VIIa (both 1.66 diopters) … singly and stacked, with good results e.g.  

Regards

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

My wife and I have been doing something similar. With our Vario X, X1 and X2 cameras we have used Close-up lenses #1, 2, and 3 separately and in combination. I have a Kiwi tube adapter with a 49mm filter size that I use on the X1 and X2 cameras.  It is merely a matter or screwing in the lens and looking at the result on the screen or, in the case of the X2 in the EVF. Using a 43mm-49mm step up ring we use the same close-up lenses on the Vario. This arrangement is a normal part of our travel camera kit.

2 hours ago, Guytou said:

Hello tremper,

I have already two Raynox 150 et 250.

Where can I find Elpro E52 with a reasonable price ?

Thank you very much.

Greetings,
Guy

Never seen an Elpro 52 listed at less than the regular price … The only way to source same at discounted price would be to find a secondhand example … But never seen a s/h Elpro 52 listed … Which is why I bought mine NEW.

Works well on the X Vario!

dunk 

I saw one on FredMiranda a few months back and was very close to buying it, but wasn’t sure it would do much better than my Raynox. I  enjoy macro on the XV so much that if the Elpro 52 is good it would be a worthwhile purchase. Dunk, looking forward to your thoughts and findings (and photos) on the Elpro 52!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Jamais vu un Elpro 52 listé à un prix inférieur au prix habituel… Le seul moyen de s'en procurer à prix réduit serait de trouver un exemple d'occasion… Mais jamais vu comme / h Elpro 52 répertorié… C'est pourquoi j'ai acheté le mien NEW.

Fonctionne bien sur le X Vario!

tremper 

OK tremper, thank you very much !

Guy

Tried the XV and E52 Elpro yesterday in sub-zero temperature at Langdyke Countryside Trust's, Swaddywell Reserve, near Peterborough UK … weather not conducive to crawling / kneeling on the ground but managed a few pics. Here are the apparatus images showing use of Berlebach MULDA mini wooden tripod … very useful /versatile ground level tripod with extendable  legs adjustable to 90º 'plus' … and being wooden, does not freeze your hands when carried … very lightweight too and capable of supporting several Kg. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

cont'd ….

• Like 1

cont'd …. 

• Like 1

Apparatus pics taken using Leica C compact 

cont'd …  

cont'd ….  

• Like 2

cont'd …  

• Like 2

cont'd ...

• Like 1

cont'd ...

• Like 2

cont'd … 

• Like 5

Foregoing specimen images all taken at between 1/3 and 1/2 life size on sensor using Leica X Vario and Elpro E52 …  DOF not optimal as used f8 aperture for most of them … thinking that on APS format, DOF would be equivalent to f12 on full frame … which not quite sufficient for e.g. the above fungi. Live and learn and next time will use smaller aperture.   I'm happy with the Elpro E52 and hopeful of better images on a warmer day.

Would I recommend the Elpro E52?

It's a fine achromat and capable of good results - but similar results can be obtained using e.g. two Leitz ELPRO 2 or VIb stacked together (total 10 diopter ) … or a Leitz Elpro 1 or VIa stacked with a Leitz Elpro 2 or VIb ( total 7.5 diopter) … each of which can be sourced at relatively low cost. 

dunk 

• Like 5

This morning noticed an Elpro VIa and Elpro VIb priced at just £10 each by a well known Croydon Leica dealer; stacked together they offer 7.5 diopters for £20 compared to the 7 diopter Elpro 52 at £300. The vintage VIa and VIb Elpros will require an adapter for use with modern lenses but it's possible to make your own by utilising scrap filter rings and epoxy resin … or asking e.g. SRB Photographic to make a Series VI to 43mm stepping ring … they made same for me a few years ago at £reasonable cost. 

dunk 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb goatsby:

I enjoyed the review as well and like Gary said will save my money, thanks dunk. Unfortunately now I’m on the hunt for that absolutely gorgeous wooden tripod!! 

I suppose it is a Berlebach mini tripod. Check www.berlebach.de.

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 1